Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: ANTIFREEZE IN A FORCED AIR SYSTEM ?  (Read 5690 times)

homelite

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 4030
    • View Profile
ANTIFREEZE IN A FORCED AIR SYSTEM ?
« on: November 26, 2010, 03:56:58 PM »

I have a 4030 C.B. with a forced air system. I am leaving town for about 10 days the end of January.  I live in Mich. My question is the Dealer and other folks with the same setup said my boiler water would not freeze if I left the boiler pump running and run my forced air furnace when I am gone. Does this make sence or do people use antifreeze in there boiler with a forced air system.

yoderheating

• View Profile
Re: ANTIFREEZE IN A FORCED AIR SYSTEM ?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 06:12:24 PM »

You will basically be using your heating system to heat the outdoor furnace. The indoor unit will heat the water in the coil and it will keep the furnace from freezing. The only thing you have to worry about would be a power outage.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

jd9610

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2011, 11:24:22 AM »

I was wondering the same thing. Will antifreeze harm the system at all or are they made to have antifreeze in them?  If you let your pump run and use your forced air furnace to heat the oudoor furnace you will be wasting gas/fuel oil just to keep water from freezing

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2011, 05:49:04 PM »

Yes, they do make antifreeze for outdoor furnaces. Just remember, if you have a 200 gal furnace you will need around 100 gal of antifreeze. 100 gal of antifreeze isn't cheap either. Also I have been told that it doesn't transfer heat as well but I'm not sure that is true.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2011, 06:04:28 PM »

i think i read somewhere that the  difference in heat pick up from straighth water and antifreeze mix is pretty small (only a couple of percent) if you use regular antifreeze i hope you have no tile near by, if you were to have a leak and it found its way to a ditch or creek you may be in big trouble, and if you use enviroment friendly antifreeze...but i have heard it is very exspensive?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 07:38:13 PM »

You can use glycol they make two kinds ethelyn & proplyene one is enviroment friendly the other isn't. Does make a difference in heat transfere, not sure how much. Unless they have changed, it does not have rust inhibitor like antifreeze. Any HVAC company in your area that does chiller piping should be able to get it or mabe have some on hand.