Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: New CB 6048  (Read 6341 times)

NCStateGuy

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
New CB 6048
« on: December 09, 2010, 09:23:43 PM »

Hello, new here. Glad I found this site.   First year using my boiler(CB 6048).  I have it hooked up to 3 bldgs.  All well insulated.  One is 1000sf, and is only used on occasion--apt over a barn.  One is a daytime use bldg 1800sf-, used M-F I drop the thermostat down to 60f in the evenings in that bldg.  The last bldg is home used 24hrs 3000sf.  I am running 3 pumps, 3 plate hx, and 4 forced air coils(2 in house).  Our temps here have been  20F at night 30-40F during day the last week.  I've been using mixed hard wood, split in various lengths, good deal from sawmill, deliverd by dumptruck.  I just cleaned the boiler 4 days ago. I'm finding that the wood is burning so fast I'm getting a foot or more of red hot coals building up fast, hardly any ash yet.   My temp is dropping as soon as the wood is changed to coals.  I can stock it 11pm and by 7am a huge pile of red hot coals and the temp down to 150F.  The pile of coals are making it harder to stack the wood and starting to block the vent. i must be doing something wrong... I've been doing some research and wonder if I should be using whole logs instead.  Unfortunealty I dont have any reserve stock, so I'm not sure if I'll be able to get seasoned wood.  I will certainly begin stockpiling now for following years.  Any hints or any advice or pointers would be greatly appreciated for this newbie.  Thanks!!

rosewood

• View Profile
Re: New CB 6048
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 05:37:51 PM »

try burning full round logs , i feed mine with a mix of wood,dry seasoned hardwood,pine ,unseasoned. split wood burns fast but sounds like you have huge heat load.

NCStateGuy

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 05:55:58 PM »

Rosewood, You are right.  I started with larger round logs and the burn time is way better.  Thanks.

m21221

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 03:55:33 PM »

You are not doing anything wrong.  I heat my 5000 sq ft well insulated house with a 6048 also (3 years now) and my temp range is similar to yours.  Whole logs definitely help some but the bottom line is you are pulling a lot of heat and probably have the stove close to capacity.  Your stove won't burn any more wood than it has to.   Pine, oak, split or whole it ultimately boils down to the btu potential of the wood.  Split wood will allow your stove to recover more quickly (especially with no forced draft) but won't give you any less heat.  Make sure you stir or roll the coals once a day, that will help some.   What is your temp range set at?  I bump mine up to 180 during the winter and have found the stove cycles more efficiently.  Summer setting is at 160.   Over all I wouldn't change a thing, married to wood & free of oil with 70 degree house...priceless.
CB 6048

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 07:20:31 PM »

You are not doing anything wrong.  I heat my 5000 sq ft well insulated house with a 6048 also (3 years now) and my temp range is similar to yours.  Whole logs definitely help some but the bottom line is you are pulling a lot of heat and probably have the stove close to capacity.  Your stove won't burn any more wood than it has to.   Pine, oak, split or whole it ultimately boils down to the btu potential of the wood.  Split wood will allow your stove to recover more quickly (especially with no forced draft) but won't give you any less heat.  Make sure you stir or roll the coals once a day, that will help some.   What is your temp range set at?  I bump mine up to 180 during the winter and have found the stove cycles more efficiently.  Summer setting is at 160.   Over all I wouldn't change a thing, married to wood & free of oil with 70 degree house...priceless.
:post: Gotta say i toatally agree..well done post...House is 74 without the oil man ...OWB temp set at 180 here
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

NewToIt

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: XL (14,000 sq. ft.)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 06:38:19 AM »

As far as the build up of coals, this is what I have found to work best for me..... I put just enough wood in to last until the next time I can fill it (12 to 24 hrs, depending on outside temps), then pull the coals forward before throwing fresh logs to the back.  The coals will reduce to a fine powder ash during the next burn cycle, then the wood in the back takes over.  This allows me to get the most BTU's from the wood as possible, rather than emptying unburnt coals from the stove to make more room.  There is a learning curve with all stoves, and thankfully, having a slightly over-sized stove allows me to use this method.
Not so "NewToIt" anymore..... up and running for 3 yrs. now!!