Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21

Author Topic: Gasification wood boiler build  (Read 131289 times)

jackel440

• View Profile
Re: Gasification wood boiler build
« Reply #165 on: January 09, 2011, 06:45:08 PM »

Kool Build..... Ive read all the post today.......  Ive been looking for some pipe to build me one.......  Have you been keeping up with the amount of HOURS/DAYS you have in it.......    Post wise has been since Oct 1..... :post:
I was keeping track,but then I got side tracked with other stuff.I usually worked on it 4hours at a time,between doing other stuff at the farm aslo.I had a few weeks where there was other things goingon so nothing got done.Now we have had some bitter cold, and there is no point in freezing to death in the shop.If its in the upper 20's I can get the shop to warm up with the salamander.If its in the teens it won't warm up.(and thats a waste of kerosene at $3.49).I have lost more time dut to that than anything here lately.
I have about 4 or 5 hours of more stuff to do to it, and then it should be ready to pull out of the shop. :thumbup:
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2011, 09:18:39 PM »

Awesome job Jackel, I would love to see it in operation sometime.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

dhibbs75

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 10, 2011, 07:38:11 PM »

Is the owb going to be psi or open.....

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 10, 2011, 07:44:28 PM »

Is the owb going to be psi or open.....
open system
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #169 on: January 10, 2011, 07:57:53 PM »

Well i hurried home and beat it out to the shop so i could try to get something accomplished today after work.I got alot of loose ends taken care of.I spent most of the evening fiinishing up wiring and hooking up an inside light for the back of the furnace in the"control room".LOL
I got the stack indicator light all hooked and assembled.Then hooked up the thermocouple wires to the controllers.I am no electrician, but I managed to get everything terminated fairly cleanly.
 :pic:

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 10, 2011, 08:07:50 PM »

I finnished seal the ridge cap the roof steel.Then I mounted the front light.I also have a shot of my stack light.Each light has different meanings,and i can see them from the house.That way i know whats going on without going outside.
Blue- power is on to the boiler
green -controler turned on damper and blower
red-- Low water level in tank
clear- ready to load.When you flip the front switch it turns on the front light plus the clear stack light,while interupting power to the relay for the blower/damper
orange-not used yet

[attachment deleted by admin]
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

dhibbs75

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 10, 2011, 08:17:34 PM »

Clear is just to help shed light for night time use???  or do you have some temp setting to let you know that the fire is low and its feeding time...

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 10, 2011, 08:32:37 PM »

No it won't put out that much light.That's what the front light is for.It is just to indidcate that the blower power is interupted.
Say my son or wife goes out to load it,and then come back to the house.I can tell them to go back out and flip the switch back on. >:D
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

bikeralan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 11, 2011, 01:19:45 AM »

Super idea for the operation lights ! great job, the blue hairs up here would be stopping and going with your lights lol.
Glad you are closing in on getting it operating, has been fun almost being there with you.
Thanks for all the pics, good luck!!!

dhibbs75

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 11, 2011, 05:03:37 PM »

That sounds like a good Family proof light.... ;D

While brain storming today looking in grainger and msc for the fan, stat and relay, coil.....  I had a BRAIN FART and wondered what was your back up plan when power goes out....  On your intake door you have a servo opening and closing the door....  If power goes out for a while your flame will get rolling and may boil over.....Do you have a bat backup to close the draft door when power fails??????

Im going to go with a magnetic coil  energized to open loose power shuts air off.........

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 11, 2011, 07:10:33 PM »

That sounds like a good Family proof light.... ;D

While brain storming today looking in grainger and msc for the fan, stat and relay, coil.....  I had a BRAIN FART and wondered what was your back up plan when power goes out....  On your intake door you have a servo opening and closing the door....  If power goes out for a while your flame will get rolling and may boil over.....Do you have a bat backup to close the draft door when power fails??????

Im going to go with a magnetic coil  energized to open loose power shuts air off.........

Already a step ahead of ya. ;)The damper actuater is only power to open.It is spring return to close.So if there is a power outage it will shut automatically.
If you go back and watch the video of it in operation.It sounds like it is running when it closes, but actually it is the spring inside the unit returning it to the close position.I pulled the wire out of the socket so it would close.Only has power to open, and hold it open.They are designed just for this kind of application.To close a damper when poer goes out.
Those Belimo dampers are high quality pieces.I lucked out and found mine on ebay for a good price.Took like 4 trys to get one.
The way these operate is why I wanted one to use on my air box. :thumbup:
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

dhibbs75

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 11, 2011, 07:36:32 PM »

Thats what I was wondering...  Thanks for the info...  I was looking at grainger for soleniods and did not find excatly what I wanted..   Dont really like the cheap ones....  could rust and stick.....  What model is yours....   If you go to AS and look at the thread apples to apples owb.   Youll see my post what im going to build....  Waiting on a quote for the metal and having it bent.   I think im going to have my fire box with water all around except the front..  most eff.....   I post a better pic on there latter....  still in ruff draft....   You post has been alot of help for me...   When I start mine I will try and post like you did........    good luck on yours....

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #177 on: January 12, 2011, 07:30:59 PM »

Well I had a very productive night in the shop :D
Well after I replowed the drive as it drifted shut anyways.I took a piece of steel siding and ripped it to the width I needed to hand form the corners of the back of the housing.
I first hemmed the edges and then bent it 90 degrees.I put up some pics of part of the process so If someone had to do this they would have an idea of what to do.I then put butyl tape that was left over from a duct work job I did,on ,the corners of the furnace to seal it all up.

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 12, 2011, 07:34:58 PM »

Here is another shot of the tape.Same stuff they use on rv windows and a/c units.Then there is a shot of the back all completed. :thumbup:

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 12, 2011, 07:44:11 PM »

Ok now we're getting to the good stuff.I managed to throw power to it yesterday.I had a direct ground in one circuit.As soon as the controller cycled the relay it would blow the breaker.So tonight I had to figure out where I messed up on my wiring.
Ended up being just 2 wires that I terninated wrong.after about 15 minutes of trouble shooting everything is working like planned. :D
I took a pic so you can see the controlers powered up,and then a shot of my exsplosion proof light I mounted inside the "control room"  :P
I also swapped out 2 of the ball valves I had on the bottom of the furnace,and replaced them with to flange ball valve assemblys.I then wired up my pumps ,and mounted them on the piping. :thumbup:

[attachment deleted by admin]

New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 21