Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pulling trees down  (Read 4273 times)

doo_hicky

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Royal(in process of putting it in pole barn)
    • View Profile
Pulling trees down
« on: May 08, 2012, 09:31:24 AM »

Well, it looks like I'm going to be busy for quite some time this summer.  A local fella payed my father a visit yesterday and asked if we would be interested in clearing an old field of his.  I think that it is around 9 acres currently.  He had asked if we could pull the coulple of large ones out of the center and then clean up around the perimeter of the field.  The trees are all locust.  The ones in the middle of the field are at least 24 inches in diameter and branch out about 8ft up and are going to be a pain, but the ones around the perimeter are mostly trunk with little top.  This band around the perimeter of the field is at least 60 feet wide and can be wider at times, so there is going to be a boatload of work, but a large amount of wood.  The great thing about locust is that it doesn't rot even if left on the ground for long periods of time(for those that didn't know).

The gentleman wants the trees pulled because he wants us to plow and plant this field then.

Opinions about the best way to pull them out?  We DON'T have a dozer or hoe, but we have 2 130hp International(14,000lbs) farm tractors, a large New Holland skid steer(6000lbs) and a couople of smaller tractors, and lots of heavy cable and chains.

I'm thinking that choking the trees about 10ft up and this should allow the weight of the top of the tree to help get them over.  The trees range anywhere from a 6 inches in diameter to the larger ones being in the 12-18 inch range.  The thought is that the process will go something like this:  choke them, pull them down then away, cut the stump off, then top them, pile them, and finally load them out in 20ft lengths.

Questions, comments?

Thanks Mike

Husky 353 w/20" bar

bajonesy77

• OWF Brand: Prosteel
  • OWF Model: 200
    • View Profile
Re: Pulling trees down
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 09:50:35 AM »

Cut all the trees down leaving 10 inchs of the trunk exposed and rent/beg/borrow/steal a dozer. I live in a logging area and that's how loggers do it and they have huge log  skidders that won't pull stumps up just breaks off the trunks at the ground in a splintered mess . I have seen this on oak so locust may be different in the roots but idk.
Brave 22 ton splitter
Stihl 440 magnum 20" bar
Stihl 390 20" bar
McCullough timber bear 20" bar

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 01:03:30 PM »

I don't think your tractors are big enough to pull them but might be worth a try. I tried an oak once that was about 10' tall and 36" diameter with a CaseIH 1594 (90hp?) and it would even budge. I then tryed one that was about 18" with a 5' stump with the old Case 1370 and it just wiggled a little.

From what I have seen around here, dozer operators prefer to take the trees down whole when clearing fields. I would talk to an excavating company and see what they would do before cutting any down. It might end up costing a lot more if you cut them first. Also would be a lot safer if you don't have to cut sanding trees.

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 09:01:47 PM »

I would have to agree.  You would not beleive how LITTLE amount of weight the higher up the tree it takes to snap the trunk.  Your best bet is to drop the tree 3 ft or less from the ground and hook your cables to the trunk there.   Otherwise, you will snap the trunk (or not move it at all depending on diameter of tree).

Also, think about using your skidsteer to dig around the trunks of the bigger trees.  I know they aren't backhoe's but they can still remove some of the dirt from around the roots to weaken them.  Just my opinion...for what its worth.

doo_hicky

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 04:20:24 AM »

Well, that gives me some ideas.  I knew it wasn't going to be easy, but......  We still have to talk with an adjoining landowner to see if we can have permission to cross over his property to get to this field, there is another way to get to it , but a direct route is better.  If for nothing better than entertainment, once we get permission, pictures and even some video of my attempts would be something I wouldn't feel too ashamed to share, provided it doesn't make me look like a complete boob!

I also have a couple of 20,000lb snatch blocks that will accept 1/2" cable, so these would also be utilized to double or triple the pulling strength of the tractor.   I have found that the black locust trees predominately grow in sandy/loamy soil and that their root system typically isn't spread out all over like an oak or maple, so hopefully this will be a saving grace. 

Mike
Husky 353 w/20" bar

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 07:09:54 AM »

I would try the smaller ones first and move on up in size trying to pull them out. When you get to one you can't pull, hook up the snatch block. If the smaller ones are close to the bigger ones it may help loosen their roots up a little. Oh and do post pictures.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

doo_hicky

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 04:50:55 AM »

Did an exploratory last evening with our large skidsteer and it appears that I am able to push over the standing dead trees with some effort, the live ones are more difficult, but was still able to get a 7 incher down and out.  The biggest dead tree I was able to push over was a little over 8 inches in diameter. 

I went there to basically get things started by clearing some of the crab apples and hawthorn trees away from where we will be working because I don't want any flat tires on any of the equipment. 

My buddy got the use of a Kubota backhoe so the 3 large trees in the center of the field will not be an issue, but I'm still gonna try to yank them out with our big tractor first.
Husky 353 w/20" bar

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 06:21:03 AM »

be careful "bumping" dead trees, they have a tendancy to snap off part way up orlose branches very easily
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

doo_hicky

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 06:02:53 AM »

Sorry for not getting anything on here earlier, but been really busy with other things.  This is a 18+ inch cherry that I "dug" out with my pallet forks on my NH L783 skidsteer.  I broke the roots as best as I could and then drove the forks under the root ball to loosen it and then I was able to push it over.  The other trees that I had initially asked about went over without too much trouble, but my buddy and his Kubota hoe helped a good bit(dug around the base while I pulled it over).   With the pallet forks on the machine, I have been able to push over everything else.  Most of the trees average 13 inches in diameter, with some larger.  The worst to get out so far was the couple of hard maples, followed by this cherry, and the easiest being the black locust.  Perserverence is the key!

[attachment deleted by admin]
Husky 353 w/20" bar

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 08:42:04 AM »

Sounds like you are set for firewood for a while.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"