Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Running water lines into my garage  (Read 4222 times)

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
Running water lines into my garage
« on: July 23, 2012, 09:36:11 AM »

Hey guys! This has been on my mind for a little while and I'm hoping that some of you can help me figure out how to do it....

I am going to be hooking my 36x45 garage up to my H2 this fall.  I will be using a forced air unit to heat it but I need to find a way to run the water lines into the garage.  It is a pole barn but when I built it I put it on footings so I wouldn't be able to go "under" the wall because there is just too much concrete there to even attempt that (I think?).

I am kind of thinking that the only way to make it happen is to have a small portion of the line exposed to the elements by just using an elbow or something to come up out of the ground a foot or so and then have a 45-90 degree turn through the side of the garage. 

If any of you have had to deal with this or have any ideas it would be greatly appreciated if you could share them with me. Thanks! 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

Trint

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ml 30
    • View Profile
Re: Running water lines into my garage
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 10:39:28 AM »

Your idea might be the best, I had to angle my line up out the ground and into my house, somewhat unsightly but is in a hidden location.  Not using an elbow the line is expossed 3-5 ft.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2012, 05:14:21 PM by Trint »
North Central Ohio

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 10:47:15 AM »

How deep are the footings?

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 12:20:49 PM »

Trint, I am thinking that is going to be my only option.  I'm not really concerned about the appearance, I just don't want to loose a whole lot of heat from that one area. 

RSI,
The footings are 1ft wide and 40 inches deep. 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 12:33:09 PM »

It shouldn't be a problem coming up and through the wall. If you put elbow there, make sure there is room for movement so they don't pull apart. Pex changes length with temperature.
At my house I ran under a deck and have the lines coming out of the ground and sloping up to go over the concrete (through the sill plate) and I don't think it is losing that much compared to the rest that is buried. They are probably in the air for about 10 feet. I wouldn't do it this way if I was doing it again  but at the time it seemed like a good idea.  ;D

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 12:56:36 PM »

Thanks for the input guys!  I guess I will just try and figure out how to make it work by going through the wall.  It would sure beat the hell out of chisseling through concrete!
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

oldchenowth

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 05:30:15 AM »

I have the insulated pex coming out of the ground from 2.5' deep through an old basement window opening into the basement.  I have built a little dog house to keep as much heat in as I can, and it seems to work very well.  If you wanted to go underground, any rental place should have a coring drill to cut 4" or 6" hole to go through the floor and footing.  A fair amount of work, but a good option.  We do this all the time at work, it takes about 15-30 minutes to cut through 10" of concrete with our small coring drill. And that is with steel  #5 rebar embedded in it.

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 05:46:06 AM »

I angled up out of the ground and into my pole barn at the bottom of the wall through  the metal and then built a box around the lines where exposed. I insulated the box well so I don't think I am losing anything there.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2012, 07:37:27 AM »

Thanks for all of the help guys.  I had never heard of coring drill before, it sounds pretty awesome. 

I think if I plan everything right I could keep the pipe exposure to a minimum.  I have actually thought about building a box like you mentioned Bull, and I will most likely do something similar. 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

HandyMark

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2012, 05:49:57 PM »

Thanks for all of the help guys.  I had never heard of coring drill before, it sounds pretty awesome. 

I think if I plan everything right I could keep the pipe exposure to a minimum.  I have actually thought about building a box like you mentioned Bull, and I will most likely do something similar.
I was thinking core drill also but it is a fairly pricey option. They will likely charge rental on the drill and the bit separately. I believe the local sunbelt quoted me about $150 total a couple years ago. It would be a nice clean install though.

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2012, 08:33:00 AM »

I was thinking core drill also but it is a fairly pricey option. They will likely charge rental on the drill and the bit separately. I believe the local sunbelt quoted me about $150 total a couple years ago. It would be a nice clean install though.

My parents neighbor actually runs a sunbelt where I live.  Sometimes he will let me borrow stuff for nothing or for a huge discount.  I might talk to him and see what he could do.  It might actually be worth the extra work. 
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

muffin

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2012, 09:18:15 AM »

If you get good insultaed piping, I would not worry about it.  My main line does just this as I had not planned it when I poured my pad.  So it comes up and out of the ground and right into the garage.  There is about a 1 foot piece exposed and of course it is shallow in the ground for a bit too.  Last year the pipe was covered with snow; so I do not think I am losing much there.  It is the type with 2 pex pipes embedded in foam wit hthe hard black plastic outter shell.  A real pain to bend, but seems to be really good stuff.

HandyMark

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2012, 06:57:53 PM »

My parents neighbor actually runs a sunbelt where I live.  Sometimes he will let me borrow stuff for nothing or for a huge discount.  I might talk to him and see what he could do.  It might actually be worth the extra work.
[/quote]
Sweet connection. I would definitely look into that. It would make for a cleaner install. Be prepared for some digging. When we core drilled through  my foundation the whole rig bolted to the foundation using a wedge anchor which means you also need a hammer drill. Of course if it is a location where appearance isn't any concern I would probably build a box of foam and wood and take it all through the wall.