Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: I need help with my furnace blower  (Read 2523 times)

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
I need help with my furnace blower
« on: October 09, 2012, 01:56:18 PM »

Well, after spending all of my 3 day weekend working on getting my Hardy permanently installed I have ran into a road block and I'm hoping that one of you can help me out here...

Everything was going smoothly.  I started a fire and got the water temp up to 155 deg.  I started the pump to get the water flowing and everything checked out as it should. 

Last winter when I hooked up the wood burner I wasn't really sure how to hook it up so I went a head and disconnected the thermostat wires that run to the AC/Heat pump unit and then this summer I went back down into the basement to try and hook it back up but could never get it to work.  I really don't think that it has anything to do with the problem I'm having now though. 

When I went to turn my thermostat on yesterday the blower wouldn't come on like it should.  I checked the connections multiple times but couldn't get it figured out.  I ended up checking the switch that is located on the panel that turns the power off to the furnace when you take the service panel off and learned that it was faulty.  I bypassed the switch and just hard wired the power supply hoping that it would solve my problem but it didn't.  I tested the power supply with my multi meter just to ensure that the furnace was in fact getting power and it was. 

With my thermostat set 15 degrees higher than the temp in my house and set to the "on" position I went back down into the basement to see if the furnace was receiving 24v at the control board but it wasn't.  I even tried a different thermostat.  I also tried jumping the common wire with the G wire to try and get the blower to come on but again, nothing.  I have come to the conclusion that the Fan Timer Control Board is shot. 

Finally, here is my question:  I am going to have someone come out and take a look at it because the control boards run about $150-200 and I don't want to buy one if that is not the issue.  I know there is a way that I can bypass the control board and hard wire my blower but I'm not too sure on what the combination is there.  I was thinking that if I could just hard wire it for a hour or so I could get my house up to temp to get me by until somone comes out to fix it (its 54 in there right now) 

If any of you have a solution for me I would greatly appreciate it and the old lady would be a lot happier.  Sorry in advance for the long post! Thanks!
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

lasor1

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster ss
  • OWF Model: Heatmaster mf 5000
    • View Profile
Re: I need help with my furnace blower
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2012, 03:22:46 PM »

I don't know a lot about  thermostat hook ups but I can tell you if you are jumping wires around while it has power to the system that the 24v transformer is very easy to blow and you said you didn't have 24v on system I would start there and check to see if transformer is bad

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2012, 05:09:44 PM »

What wires did you jumper out trying yo get the fan to come on? It should have been RH and G connections. If you tried G and C it wouldn't do anything and if you tried C and RH you probably blew something.

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2012, 07:25:11 AM »

Sorry, I meant RH and G.  I have a buddy who does HVAC stuff and I'm just going to pay him to come out and hook everything up for me. Thanks for the replies though!
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290

jkovach

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: homemade
  • OWF Model: NA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2012, 07:55:00 PM »

There has to be a seperate thermostat upstairs with 2 wires going down into the furnace.  Red goes to red and white goes to Green for fan.  You have to disconnect the air conditioner wire because it will backfeed and turn on when your blower turns on. 

AirForcePOL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 07:15:01 AM »

well, my buddy came out on Saturday and come to find out it was just a bad transformer.  We're back in business! Thanks for all of the replies though.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290