Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: I'm going on vacation  (Read 3278 times)

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
I'm going on vacation
« on: November 07, 2013, 02:45:25 PM »

I'll be going on vacation in a few days.  I wasn't planning on leaving the wood burner lit but as my departure date gets closer the forecast keeps getting colder and colder.  At first it wasn't going to get below freezing while I was gone but now it will be getting down to around 21 deg one night and 25 the next.  I usually have my brother stop by and fill my owb while I'm gone but I just really hate to ask him to do that when he has his own problems to worry about.   

Here's my question.  How cold do you guys think it would have to get for the water in my owb to actually freeze?  I plan on leaving the pump running to keep the water moving.  The heat will be off in the house but will probably stay around 55 deg I'm guessing.  Do you think I will run into any issues if I choose to go that route? Highs durring the day will be around 35-40 deg. 

Please let me know what your opinions are on this.  Thanks ya'll
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

lindnova

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 200 CSS
    • View Profile
Re: I'm going on vacation
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2013, 03:29:51 PM »

You should be fine.  Last December I left for a weekend and warmed up the basement floor heat good (75 degrees) before I left and turned the thermostat down to 50 just in case for the propane to kick in.  I had some good coals and a few logs in the furnace when I left, but turned off the power to the blower at the furnace.  When I got home it was over 60 degrees.  I think I was even able to get a fire started off the coals.  If I remember, it was in the teens for lows then.

As far as it freezing, it will pull heat from your house.  It would have to get pretty cold in the house before the water started freezing.
Stihl ms260, ms362, msS461
Huskee 22 TN Splitter
Kubota BX2200 w/ Loader

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2013, 03:49:43 PM »

Not sure how long you will be away but if you haven't drained the water in your house and you are not worried about it, I would guess the water in your OWB would be OK.  If it were me, I'd probably want at least some heat on the house at this time of year.  Have someone at least check things out every two or three days. 
Muskoka, Ont

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2013, 05:01:43 PM »

I am planning on loading it with wood and just letting it idle.   I wish I had another heat source in the house but I don't at this time.   I will be gone for 5 Days but temps will only be below freezing for one of the nights and we get back the night after that.  The house should stay fairly warm I hope.  I will probably shut the well pump off and drain the water lines just in case though.   I would like to think that 10-12 hours of below freezing temps wouldn't allow the water to drop below 32 especially if the pump is running.   I might just have my brother stop by the night that it's supposed to drop down to 21 deg and get the fire goin again just to it will have enough heat the store and prevent freezing.   Thanks for the replies guys.   
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

Jack72

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2013, 07:17:11 PM »

AirForce.
   I put my thermostatic electric heater in mine .    I ran the electric through the bottom where my reaction chamber tube is and out my back door and closed everything not to tightly without pinching the cord.     It got below freezing and when I started it when I got back home the gauge on my water lines said 60 f so it must of did the trick hope this helps your fear.
Also.  I attached a picture of my oil heater I ran a separate cord from garage not off the stove did not want to draw to much amps and trip a breaker while I was gone.

Jack

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2013, 05:35:53 PM »

I use backup electric space heaters when I go away they work pretty good. I just make sure they are away from anything that can burn, cost 20-25 bucks each. Turn the heat up the day before I leave and get the house really warm and toasty then cram the stove full and turn down the boiler water temp and indoor thermostats. I can get away with 4 days no problems here in northern Maine. Haven't tried any longer but I think it would be OK.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 05:45:11 PM »

Hoardac, your door gasket should be there tommorow or monday
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

up_in_smoke

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Earth
  • OWF Model: Mountain Man 505
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2013, 09:14:58 PM »

could you plumb an electric tankless water heater in so that in the event the water temp drops below the set temp it would fire to keep the water in your system from freezing?

can't imagine it would draw much more power then multiple space heaters, it would also keep whatever your heating from freezing?

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2013, 04:15:09 AM »

Up in smoke, yes you can, it's actually pretty big in Canada
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.