Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: This is just crazy!But sure is a heck of a splitter  (Read 3468 times)

jackel440

• View Profile
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: This is just crazy!But sure is a heck of a splitter
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2011, 06:08:46 PM »

Giant Log Splitter Crushing Junk Steel
years ago we made one simalar for splitting 4 foot soft maples that the county was raking down for road widening. it was a 12 inch H beam with a big wedge and a 9 inch cylender with a 3 inch ram that was fed by a 26 gpm piston pump and driven by an old 22 hp VW engine.  we actually pushed the wedge right out of the 12 inch beam a few times. It just tore the top of the flange right off. But we likely split 500 bush cords with it before retiring it and making it into a different type of device
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2011, 08:53:21 PM »

Dang Willie that would have been a sight to see in action.I got a whole bunch of big block mopars laying around,and my nieghbor has a huge cylinder that came from an old factory he worked at.4 or 5" rod with a 8 or 10 " piston.probably 48" of stroke.Maybe I should find a big hydraulic pump and make my own "KILLER" wood splitter!LOL >:D
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2011, 09:03:40 PM »

i got a little splitter now but i never use it. most wood i cut is not any bigger than14 or 16 inches across

we actually took teh old splitter and made a machine for pushing off wedges from wood. when my dad was building his shop we got for free all the 2x6 wood that came off the rail cars that were used for  holding pipe line pipe on teh train car. they were about 10 feet long with wooden wedges nailed on every 2.5 feetor so to keep the pipes from rolling off so we got a long  beam and welded on stops where these wedges were and used the old splitter  to push the 2x6  adn "peel" the wedges off leaving us a good to use, used board. now if i remember correctly the vw engine is in teh scrap yard. the splitter frame is in the bush and teh 9 inch cylender is now a 50 ton shop press
remember...Reduce..Reuse and Recycle
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 06:45:49 AM »

i got a little splitter now but i never use it. most wood i cut is not any bigger than14 or 16 inches across

we actually took teh old splitter and made a machine for pushing off wedges from wood. when my dad was building his shop we got for free all the 2x6 wood that came off the rail cars that were used for  holding pipe line pipe on teh train car. they were about 10 feet long with wooden wedges nailed on every 2.5 feetor so to keep the pipes from rolling off so we got a long  beam and welded on stops where these wedges were and used the old splitter  to push the 2x6  and "peel" the wedges off leaving us a good to use, used board. now if i remember correctly the vw engine is in teh scrap yard. the splitter frame is in the bush and teh 9 inch cylender is now a 50 ton shop press
remember...Reduce..Reuse and Recycle
Reduce Reuse and recycle is what I do all the time here at my shop.Costs too much to go buy new materials.
I bet the boards your dad was getting were nice quality boards also.I always can't believe the quality of lumber the factory buys to use for stupid stuff.I mean they are buying top grade lumber for making skids to ship out a machine part or other things.
That would be a nice shop press.Sure would had plenty of stroke!
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Jbuck

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 08:28:30 PM »

Jackel, your insane, but the kind of insane I admire, LOL.  Looks like that splitter will handel anything two men and a boy could lift to put in her.