Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: More air in system  (Read 1705 times)

patvetzal

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ML36
    • View Profile
More air in system
« on: November 24, 2016, 04:06:55 PM »

Last fall we connected an old P&M  ML36 to out tenants house. Just set it beside the house and ran in about 10 feet of Logstor, then split to the water tank and a rad in the heating system. Worked like a dream. So much so that this fall we moved the furnace 200feet to our house and ran the good PEX pipe back to the tenants. Since we are now feeding the other end of the house, most of the interior PEX was relocated.
Tee fittings, hanging loops,unions, random ball valves and air locks.
Has anyone come across a vent valve that could be installed in the high points? I know we have flow from the furnace when we open a drain in the basement but we cannot get that circ pump to move water on its own.
Do the old style radiator vents work when you only have a few lbs pressure?
Any hints on how to get rid of the air ? Tomorrow we plan to install some hose cocks and try blowing it back to the furnace....
80 acres of Bancroft bush and Ontario rock, a sweet wife, a few chickens, fishing rod, most everything I need....Most of it made by John Deere, Polaris, Stihl, Ruger, Jeep or me...

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: More air in system
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 04:11:58 PM »

you say you have moved the furnace 200 feet?  do you have a pump big enough to move water over the added head pressure you have created with the longer lines? you need to provide more information for those folks here that can help you. there Is more to moving water than "hooking up a pump"
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 02:07:14 AM »

Air vents do not work without actual positive pressure in fact when there is negative pressure they will actually allow air into your system, remove them. if you do not have any check valves in your system or circ checks then the best way I know of to eliminate air from the start is by using your domestic water pressure to push the air back to the boiler tank and out the vent.by opening the supply and closing the return then using the domestic water pressure, all the air gets pushed back to the boiler, now close the supply and open the return to push it clean, close the domestic, open both valves on the supply and return, turn on the circ and enjoy the heat
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

patvetzal

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: ML36
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 09:01:08 AM »

Slim- That is essentially what we did yesterday. Found that we had air in the rad for the basement heat system( like we expected) but also found one 200' line in the Logstor had  air. For some reason the other line flooded OK but the feed from the furnace to the pump in the basement must have been slightly elevated, and while it seemed to be ok when we were purging air we just didnt push enough water into the line.
We have about 3-4psi in the basement but never did try the purge valve. Added more ball valves, hose cocks and sections of garden hose. Lucky we could dump one hose end out the basement walk in door. The rest of the water sprayed out the boiler vent until we had no more bubble noises.
Boiler sitting at 190 F when we went to bed, domestic water a little hot but that is a valve adjustment....Tenant happy again.
Now I can run the lines in our basement, 50' from the OWB (We have Geothermal so no rush)
80 acres of Bancroft bush and Ontario rock, a sweet wife, a few chickens, fishing rod, most everything I need....Most of it made by John Deere, Polaris, Stihl, Ruger, Jeep or me...