Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: PAYBACK TIME FOR YOUR OUTDOOR WOOD BOILER  (Read 7164 times)

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
PAYBACK TIME FOR YOUR OUTDOOR WOOD BOILER
« on: May 16, 2014, 05:21:57 PM »

Thank you again Neal for the idea of this new thread, I would also like to thank you Roger who started the thread about Summertime Blues, it all blends together in a moment. I would like to start a thread that lasts for many years where we can all talk about our background, a bit about what the boiler replaces in oil, gas, coal and electricity as well as the added comfort that our boiler gives us in our own home. I would like it to be a conversation that will stand the test of time to promote this INDUSTRY and not a particular company, only the concept of burning wood inside, or outside,Brand names would be fine but could we please not make it a pissin contest about the best boiler. Make it a true story of your encounter with the wood burning philosophy. Give us your true payback time in real dollars as well as emotions!!!!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Jwood

• OWF Brand: P&M Ultimizer
  • OWF Model: Bl 28-40
    • View Profile
Re: PAYBACK TIME FOR YOUR OUTDOOR WOOD BOILER
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 05:56:05 PM »

Sounds like a great thread I like the idea of it being about wood burning in general not brand vs. brand  :post:
North Central Minnesota
Stihl MS 270c
Stihl MS 461
Blacked out Fiskars X27
06' Silverado 2500HD Duramax

Big Wood

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler Heatsource 1
  • OWF Model: E-2300 Model 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 06:33:18 PM »

Great word Slim let me start off by saying I run two outside wood boilers one is at our Antique store and the other is at our farm house they are 4 miles a part the store is a gasifier and the house is a conventional boiler the store used 2200 gal oil and 300 gal propane for the season 11000 sg ft the house 3600 sq ft 1200 gal oil and 4 cord wood in the fire place the store on wood 17 cord house on wood 20 cord 37 cord @130 a cord =4810.00 wood oil and propane 3700.gal×$3.50=$12950.00 a savings of $8140.00 good points my wood is all paid for and my MONEY STAYED LOCAL THANK YOU GOD AMEN that is my testimonial and I didn't need any help from the Government in God we trust all others pay cash I thank you all for burning wood
Outdoor wood boiler repair and help

Big Wood

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler Heatsource 1
  • OWF Model: E-2300 Model 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 07:15:01 PM »

Oh there's some more house temperature on wood 75 degrees and all the HOT Water you want with no restrictions store on wood it's warmer and no back up heat just keeping it short thanks
Outdoor wood boiler repair and help

swede

• OWF Brand: shaver 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2014, 07:23:36 PM »

We always wished for an outdoor wood furnace.  After 25 years of burning wood in the basement through our Wilkening home heater fireplace the firebox finally failed.  Backup is forced air fuel oil.  Found a new outdoor wood stove on CL for 3000 dollars....never heard of the shaver brand but didn't care its a start!  Did a self install in 2011 using the stoves water coil for DHW,  Badger 5 wrap pipe and a water to air HX for home heat and are thrilled with the results.  The furnace just got us through one of the toughest winters ever here in N Minnesota it easily easily heats our home and hot water and probably paid for itself in its first year.  We think the stove works superbly and have had no issues.  Even if as predicted it some how turns into junk we are in the position now to set something else on the slab and just hook it up.  Its outdoor wood furnace forever for us!   
the smoke don't mean its broke

NaturallyAspirated

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: M250
  • Golfing, snowmobiling fool!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nealmastel.com
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2014, 09:32:52 PM »

Your're welcome!    :thumbup:

Wait a minute..... 

Neal
Miss Farad was pretty and sensual, and charged to a reckless potential; but a rascal named Ohm conducted her home - Her decline was, alas, exponential
Send me your bitcoins!  1GEsGKzP5xK9e45YDjmRzGYpnhwT3oNbvj

ford tech

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: hardy
  • OWF Model: h2 2003 - 2014 CB 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 07:11:19 AM »

Heated my shop and house w/ a hardy h2 and after 10 years of use I sold it for 2900.00. I bought the stove for 3300.00. All my wood is free just my time to cut and haul it which I love to do anyway. Now I will be using a new cb 6048.
stihl ms460
stihl 36pro
farmall h
HARDY H2 heating 1600sqft home and 42x42 insulated MORTON shop floor heat - installing a cb 6048

Steinacher Sales

• OWF Brand: Shaver Outdoor Wood Furnace Dealer
  • OWF Model: Shaver Pro Series 165 (Phone: 618-401-0726)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2014, 09:52:06 AM »

To All,

Been heating for 4 or 5 winters now with a Shaver 165. Seems I'm always looking for a better way. Really like this furnace. It has saved us a lot of money in heating bills. I enjoy cutting and splitting wood. Do it less now since I had a hip replacement a year ago. I am taking a stab at Vacuum Solar Water Heaters, they seem to work well and I like the way you can hook them to existing wood furnaces of any kind or just your DHW or your furnace and your DHW. 

Next I am looking into doing the Voltaic Solar systems, you do not have to have a bank of batteries to deal with and I like that part of it. You can have batteries if you desire. The Voltaic is a lot more expensive, but its got a good payback and 30 % tax credit.

No matter what brand you buy the rewards are great. Gets you off the couch. Gets the children off the computer. Had my Grandsons helping me a while back, they enjoyed it and so did Grandpa Great family time working with wood.

I might of bought another brand, but when I was looking I found this one new and had never been hooked up. That's how I got started with Shaver, I'm been with them ever since!

Hope the EPA does not change the rules so a lot of Furnace Companies have to close their doors. We already haven't got enough jobs and it would drive the unemployment up more then it already is.

If anyone has any questions about burning wood feel free to call no matter what your brand of furnace. So many times the problems are operator error on any furnace, and a forum is a good place for answers.

Thanks to all for Posting!

Greg Steinacher
618-401-0726

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2014, 11:06:49 AM »

Built mine 14 years ago after the previous winters $350-400 a month natural gas bills. Had a wood furnace in the basement but the wife due to previous health issues including cardiac issues is extremely prone to getting bronchitis and having a wood burner in the house was aggravating the situation so we only used it when it was bitterly cold out.

Had around $2700 in the first one including piping, pumps and HX. So almost paid for itself that first heating season. If you include a happier healthier wife then it more than paid for itself that first winter. Endless hot water for starters and this house has been in the family since 1954 and none of them when visiting could ever remember it being this comfortable in the winter and that was even before I started remodeling and adding insulation and windows.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

1ELVIS

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 2000
  • The devil drives a propane truck
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2014, 01:24:33 PM »

When everyone talks about pay back most forget to add more in savings because now with owb
the thermostat can be turned up more. Personally with me I keep my thermostat at 62 to 65 when using propane not 70 or 75. I think the little lady being happy because she's warm is a savings for me too if she ain't happy nobody's happy.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2014, 01:31:34 PM by 1ELVIS »
Echo 450
Echo 370

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2014, 04:16:17 PM »

KEEP IT UP GUYS, this is exactly what I personally want to see in the industry, lets expand the market and we will not only survive but can all prosper!!!!!
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2014, 04:53:01 PM »

Speaking of temps, we keep the house at 72 during the day and drop to 67 at night. Both the wife and I like a cool bedroom to sleep in. Programmable thermostat so warm house when we wake up.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

1ELVIS

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 2000
  • The devil drives a propane truck
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2014, 01:57:58 AM »

I agree cooler temps at night is a must. I want to invest in a programmable thermostat myself. I would imagine that would help with wood consumption as well.
Echo 450
Echo 370

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2014, 07:27:58 AM »

Thats somewhat debatable, while you would obviously use less at night with a lower house temp, it can take quit a bit in the mornings to get back up to temp.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2014, 07:48:08 AM »

I save approximately $4500.00/year with my OWB.  I used to pay out a bit more than $5100.00/year using oil.  This year I used a bit more wood (about 8 cord due to the cold and long winter) but it's still cheaper for me to use the OWB.  As I've mentioned before, I'll be saving my pennies for a solar collector to heat my DHW in the spring, summer and fall when the OWB is not being used. 

I used to lower the night time temps to 65 and have the programmable thermostats to bring the temps up to 70 before getting out of bed.  I no longer do that, I now keep them at 70, 24/7.  I have seen no change in wood usage.  Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire
Pages: [1] 2