Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Shaver 165  (Read 4427 times)

chris daring

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
Shaver 165
« on: October 07, 2014, 05:17:21 PM »

I bought a shaver model 165 about two years ago.  I guess I was enticed by their web site.  I've been building a hous with the idea of installing the unit there.  I recently finished the house and now I am in the middle of installing the unit.  While looking for parts I found this forum.  Now I'm a little scared that I bought a Shaver....We will see how it works out.  I've noticed a couple of mentions about upgrade modifications that other users have done.  Could anyone direct me to where I could see some directions for these??  I think I am interested in an inline water filter, the ranco temperature probe and maybe a good suggestion on rust inhibitor??  Thanks.

ffbare

• OWF Brand: ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
Re: Shaver 165
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2014, 06:00:43 PM »

I'm working on my install also I had some troubles getting air out of my lines I an not even close to an expert on anything,  I put up a post and the guys chimed in and helped me out big time. I
  found some of my stuff I needed on amazon but I would like to install some temp gauges as well let me know how it goes. Good luck with your first year it's my first year too!
Polk wisconsin.   Husky saws, 27ton husky splitter,  gehl skid, tb016 excavator

Steinacher Sales

• OWF Brand: Shaver Outdoor Wood Furnace Dealer
  • OWF Model: Shaver Pro Series 165 (Phone: 618-401-0726)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 09:07:44 PM »

Chris,

I would be glad to help with your install, but I must ask who is your Dealer? Do you have a install manual? What treatment was
recommended when you bought the furnace?

Greg Steinacher
618-401-0726
www.midwestoutdoorfurnace.com

fryedaddy

• OWF Brand: Hicks Water Stove
  • OWF Model: 750 Gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014, 08:18:36 AM »

Chris,

I've never laid hands on a shaver but I believe the problems are in maintenance.

I could be wrong but it seams alot of the problems are rusting our prematurely.

If you are concerned, listen to Greg and several of the reputable dealer on this site.

Make sure you keep the proper chemicals in the stove and run as high of tempurature as possible.

chris daring

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014, 02:02:59 PM »

Thanks for the input guys. Greg, My Dealer was Randy.  I can't remember his last name I just have his phone number saved as Randy Shaver.  Easier to remember that way.  Randy was actually the only one who would pick up my calls.  I bought a refurbished unit and the fire box was corroded through when it arrived.  I had phone conversations with I think her name was Melba, and she put me in touch with Ray.  I don't like to complain but dealing with Ray was the worst customer service experiece I've ever had.  It took me 9 more months for them to get another furnace to my house.  So many unreturned calls, emails messages.  I feel that even if my unit has a problem, I would have an easier time fixing it myself rather than try to deal with Ray again.  Anyway I'm not here to complain about Shaver, I'm hoping for many years of great service with this unit!

chris daring

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014, 02:06:52 PM »

I am in the process of hooking up the unit now.  I have the plumbing at the stove end done with the exception of the dhw.  I will hook that up later.  I am waiting on an inline sediment filter to arrive.  My first question is the air to water heat exchanger?  Should I hook the hot water to the bottom or the top?? I figured it would be the bottom because heat will rise but I want to be sure before I crimp the pex. Thanks for the help!

smitty33

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014, 08:29:32 PM »

I hooked mine hot to the top. Suspose to get better heat transfer that way. Just like a plate exchanger, you want opposite flow for maximum transfer. Your exchanger is horizontal right?

chris daring

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2014, 10:40:11 AM »

Yes its an 18 X 18 horizontal mount. I'm still waiting for the sediment filter I ordered. I wired the blower this morning. I'll wire the thermostat, a switch, motion detect light and the pump later today. I'm gonna let the pump run all the time. It looks like a three speed pump. Any suggestions on which speed? 

Steinacher Sales

• OWF Brand: Shaver Outdoor Wood Furnace Dealer
  • OWF Model: Shaver Pro Series 165 (Phone: 618-401-0726)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2014, 01:06:19 PM »

Chris,

Run the pump on high speed! Is this filter your putting in the system a Y strainer? An actual filter could reduce the
circulation in your system and not be good!

Greg Steinacher

chris daring

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2014, 04:09:48 PM »

I see on the alternative heating supply page they sell corquest 1200 rust treatment. Is this stuff acceptable?  Anybody have any experience with it?  It's 40 bucks a gallon. 

chris daring

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014, 04:12:43 PM »

No Greg it's not a strainer it's a filter. A friend has a hawken wood furnace and the recommended it. He said it works well. The element is like a strainer. You remove it to clean it then reinstall.

chris daring

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2014, 05:35:48 PM »

I wired the unit up today.  Glad to have that done.  I wired an outlet inside the back enclosure that the pump will plug into.  It will be live as long as the circuit breaker is on.  I wired a switch to the front of the stove that kills power to the fan and thermostat.  My coworker with a Hawken had a switch like that and I think I read it on one of these posts also. I received my filter today.  I think all I need is some rust treatment and an indoor thermostat. Oh yeah and some cold weather.  The house is sitting at 75* today.  I'm still looking for suggestions for rust treatment.  Greg suggested a five year plan from abbott boiler.  I may go that way unless there are any other suggestions??

swede

• OWF Brand: shaver 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2014, 06:28:16 PM »

Thinking that our Shaver manual recommended Wood Boiler Solutions treatment.  Anyways thats what we used...drained and refilled this year looked through the water coil cover and everything metal was rust free.  No sludge on the bottom and clear water.      http://www.woodboilersolutions.com/
the smoke don't mean its broke

chris daring

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2014, 08:25:38 PM »

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm gonna call tomorrow.   The last thing I will do is hook up the domestic hot water but I can do that anytime.......