Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: 3 Stage Thermostat Newbie Question  (Read 2125 times)

nsflatlander

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
3 Stage Thermostat Newbie Question
« on: September 18, 2013, 06:50:23 AM »

Sorry, stupid question from a newbie. I'm reading about using a three stage Thermostat to control a OWB and oil forced air furnace. I really want only the one thermostat, and don't want to have to worry about switching to the oil furnace manually if the fire dies or if we go on vacation.

From what I understand, the standard is 1st stage-OWB, 2nd-Heat Pump, 3rd-Oil Furnace. Is the Heat Pump a 3rd heat source (besides the OWB and Oil Furnace) or does this have something to do with controlling the Boiler System itself? The person installing my OWB really only installs the boiler and pipe, rest is up to the electrician who I'm not certain knows a ton about this stuff.

Thank you.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: 3 Stage Thermostat Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 08:31:37 AM »

It can be done many ways for it to all mesh together seamlessly, but who's to say what way your electrician is familiar with.   You can of course use a multi heat source thermostat or more than one thermostat, as far as them being designated, you could potentially set them up however you want, 1 could be an oil furnace 2 could be a propane furnace, 3 could be a wood boiler, there are no set parameters but its just all about how you are wanting it done and whether you want one complicated thermostat or perhaps 2 like the one you have now.  A lot of varying ways for this to work
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: 3 Stage Thermostat Newbie Question
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 07:02:01 AM »

One thermostat is all you need if you monitor the incoming wood boiler water temps with an aquastat that breaks on temp rise, set it at 160 degrees, wire it to interupt the burner power supply wire,( also known as B-1 ) this will stop the burner from firing any time the wood boiler water temp is above 160 degrees, when the wood boiler temp drops below the 160 the oil burner will fire on a call for heat and run to its setpoint as it normally would.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.