Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: I need a new temp sensor  (Read 2620 times)

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
I need a new temp sensor
« on: October 27, 2015, 04:30:00 PM »

I need a new remote water temperature gauge for my stove. 

Years ago, I got one from someone on here, and it worked great.  It was just a simple plastic, rectangular display that I supplied some voltage to, (can't remember how much) and ran wires to a probe.  But last year, it started to read funny...  Like the actual water temp at the stove would be like 185 and it would flicker between 185 and 32 then up to 60, then to 55 then 21 then 120 then 44 then back up to 185 where it would stay for a while before starting to be random again... It got annoying last year...

This year... It's just stuck at 32.0.

I've tried powering it down multiple times, checked the wiring... All that jazz, still no go, so I've decided to get a new one.  I know the BBQ grill ones are popular and I'm not opposed to one of those, but it thought maybe someone here has found something they like that isn't a BBQ grill one.

Here's what I have:
Cat 5e running along side my Pex out 100 feet or so to my stove.
I obviously have power out there.
I also have one of those temperature probes in a fitting out there already, for my old setup.
In the house, I have an AC power outlet right where I want the display to go and it can easily hide a large transformer.
I also have plenty of room for a transformer in the utility room.

I'd like to put just a simple gauge in my kitchen window, which is directly above my unfinished utility room, which is where my Pex comes and goes out to the stove.

My ideal situation would be to put a hardwired temp sensor directly on the incoming Pex or copper fittings in the utility room, then run a wire up to the kitchen where the actual temperature reading would be.  Ideally, it would be a small simple display only showing the temp.  No buttons or anything else.  I don't want to run batteries.

It would be super nice if there was some way to adjust the offset, so if the temp at the stove reads 185 but by the time it gets into the house, and the sensor on the copper fitting the temp reads like 7 degrees less... I could adjust that...
But if not, no big deal.  I can do math...

...Simple math....

Any suggestions?
Hudson, WI

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
Re: I need a new temp sensor
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 09:46:11 PM »

say hi to my mom will ya she lives where ya are at !!! ...I went to thermworks for my  set up I will post wit pics this weekend  if all things go well ...

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 11:42:43 PM »

Did you get it from me? If so, send me a PM and I will send a replacement. It might be a simple fix but I made several changes to them over the years to get them to work properly on the long wire.

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 06:39:49 AM »

Did you get it from me? If so, send me a PM and I will send a replacement. It might be a simple fix but I made several changes to them over the years to get them to work properly on the long wire.
Yes I did!  Sending pm now...
Hudson, WI

Scratch

• View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2015, 10:56:44 AM »

I just wanted to publicly give a big thanks to RSI for helping me out with my temp sensor problem.
As per my usual practice, I decided to procrastinate on this, and didn't even think about it until just before my heating season begun.  But he got me all squared away before I had to start my season.

Thanks again!

Now I know why you have "hero member" status.
Hudson, WI