Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Any Satisified Shaver Owners ??  (Read 7332 times)

smoak

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
Any Satisified Shaver Owners ??
« on: December 05, 2009, 04:55:40 PM »

We ordered our Shaver 165 in November of '07 , and had it running in March of '08..Besides extending the chimney 6 feet ( $25.00) and putting a tee and thermometer on the overflow ($5.00) it is all stock...including the Therm-o-Disc thermostat....And we use it year round for our DHW in the summer...August next year it will have paid for itself..We're happy with ours but seems a lot of folks aren't happy with their Shaver..anybody else have a problem-free Shaver ??Just wondering.....

yoda

• View Profile
Re: Any Satisified Shaver Owners ??
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 08:39:12 AM »

We ordered our Shaver 165 in November of '07 , and had it running in March of '08..Besides extending the chimney 6 feet ( $25.00) and putting a tee and thermometer on the overflow ($5.00) it is all stock...including the Therm-o-Disc thermostat....And we use it year round for our DHW in the summer...August next year it will have paid for itself..We're happy with ours but seems a lot of folks aren't happy with their Shaver..anybody else have a problem-free Shaver ??Just wondering.....

I traded my 165 after using for a year to a shaver 290, before I used it the first time I insulated the bottom and added more insulation to the whole stove, also added a ranco digital stat. also added an elbow to the overflow to eliminate steaming and water loss.

I am very happy with my stove operation this year, been easily getting 15 hour burn time, around zero degrees f. today.

I'm not sure if it is the modifications, the bigger stove, or my wood is seasoned better, probably the combination of all.

If there is 1 piece of advice I would give,it is whatever stove size the manufacturer recomends, go at least 1 size bigger, I don't think you can go to big.
Northern MN

Rob 165

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 02:08:35 PM »

Even tough I have issues with my door not being square when closed (I think the hinges were welded out of square or damaged in shipping) and have made a multitude of "upgrades", I can say that my stove is working good this season.  But if the upgrades weren't made, especially providing a means for a mechanical seal to the top plate, I would have taken this stove in for scrap. 

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 06:25:56 PM »

I would have to agree with you guys.  Mine is working awesome this year,  but I also did some modifications.  Next I will do the digital aquastat.

Russ Brumit

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 09:32:32 AM »

I have a shaver 290,  Been running now for 5 months here in Elkton, Md. Works good but i need to do some mods. I heat a shop  (2700) square ft ) and house  (2300 ft) hot water in both. The hot water set up from shaver is perfect. The only problem i had in the sumer was the stove sometimes would go out because of not firing for days . Not that big of a deal . As for the winter , It works very well down to 20 degrees. I get burn times of 12-15 hours. I need to have at least 12 hours between filling due to my work schedule.  I've had the stove temp set at 130*  and moved it up to 145* in the last month .House is insulated well but shop isnt.(working on that)  Keep the garage set low,just above freezing unless i'm in there . i use two hanging heat exchangers running in series.

Questions ,  Do you think i should raise the temp at the stove ?

I was thinking about replacing the thermostat and going with a digital or aquastat.  Any thoughts ?  Thanks Russ

Heres my number if i can offer any help to anyone just give me a call  443-907-7455

Shaver  Series 290
443-907-7455

Coach

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2010, 05:59:25 PM »

I'm very satisfied with my Shaver 250.  It heats my house, my domestic hot water, my son's house and his domestic hot water.  I also use it to heat our inground pool in the summer.  This is our second winter with it and it is doing great.  Our furnace rarely kicks on, and our gas bill is at the minimum.     

PURPLEBOWYER

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2010, 01:00:07 PM »

Installed my 165 this spring,after all the mods i too am satisfied with this unit,being as this is my 1st winter I was not going to do any of the mods that I have read about on this and other forums,but a friend who also has this unit showed me how much more efficient they are with the blower mod and the aqua stat,wow quick recovery on my water and no more dripping creasote,all I have left to do is seal up the dhw cover and hopefully that will be it.I think that for the money they are a rock solid unit and once I get used to its operation Ill appreciate it even more.

Windwalker7

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2010, 06:58:39 PM »

3rd year with my 165.

I love it!

Did several mods.  They were cheap and easy to do and totally transformed the 165.

I liked tinkering with it.