Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Off topic post with well water issue maybe someone can help  (Read 2539 times)

intensedrive

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
Off topic post with well water issue maybe someone can help
« on: October 23, 2016, 10:18:13 PM »

Two weeks ago my well pressure would not go above 20.  Well guy came out and replaced the well pump submersible. Also noticed my expansion tank water logged.  Probably why the old pump failed sooner.  Replaced the tank myslef but would not fill with water.  I have a 40/60 switch replaced last year, and also replaced the guage.  Like clock work switch will kick on at 40psi and off at 60.  Expansion tank came pressurized at 38 which is correct 2 psi below cut in.  Checked to verify and it was 38 psi.  So playing around I released pressure from the tank and it began to take on some water.  I'm now at like 30 psi and the tank fills a bit but doesn't seem heavy, it's a 30 gallon tank and I believe it holds 6 or so gallons but seems to light.  I can't figure out why the water pressure seems lower than normal and why I'm needing to drop pressure in expansion tank well below cut in.  Any ideas I'm lost.

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
Re: Off topic post with well water issue maybe someone can help
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 06:59:09 AM »

I would likely start trouble shooting by removing the pump line right at the pressure tank and verifying you have good flow and pressure to that point.  If not, the issue is with the pump or the line from the pump to the pressure tank (leak/obstruction).  While playing around with the line off at the pressure tank, you should be able to determine if the switch seems to be working OK as well.  That would leave the pressure tank itself, which could have some weird blockage I suppose.  Anyways, that's likely what I would do for troubleshooting.
Muskoka, Ont

GUSWHIT

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 02:46:55 PM »

First, I am assuming the tank is a bladder tank by your description since it was precharged to 38 lbs.  The only way to check the pressure correctly in this tank is by shutting power down to the pump and draining all pressure off the system.  The tank should be holding at 38#'s(since you are running a 40-60 pressure gauge).  The new precharged tanks are sized by using the bladder in the tank to keep the pressure up.  This 30 gal tank is comparable to the old non bladder tanks.  In reality it is around a 12 gallon tank.  If you don't have a variable drive pump system on this well, I suspect that your tank is way undersized for your home.  There is a calculation that you use counting all of the water usage appliances in the home with specific gallons per each, then you size the tank accordingly.  This will actually make your pump run more efficiently.  If you have a variable drive pump, disregard this rambling.  If you are certain that the flow from the pump is good, I suspect the pressure gauge may be a little off.  I would adjust the pressure set points on the switch until I got to the desired pressure from the outlets.  With that being done, I would recheck the cut in, cut out pressures and then set the pressure in the tank to 2 #'s less than the cut in, provided your pump has this capability.

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 08:07:14 PM »

I would check for a broken pipe between the pump and the  the house ! If there is none I would check if the pump is wired correctly , if it's a 240v pump and only
Has 120v it won't run right I seen it a few times! I work for a well pump company part-time for 10 yrs
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

GUSWHIT

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2016, 08:49:20 AM »

He said pump kicks on and off at set points by gauge, doubt he has broken pipe as it wouldn't make pressure or would be leaking down intermittently.

fireboss

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2016, 09:39:56 AM »

his last statement  saying he cant build enough pressure. how about  a bad check valve or in the wrong way !     
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

GUSWHIT

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2016, 03:19:06 PM »

Doesn't say he can't build enough pressure.  Says the pressure seems lower than normal, plus he dropped the air pressure in the tank below the cut in on the pressure switch.  Bad check valve would indicate that the pump would cycle on/off which he doesn't mention.  Check valve in the wrong way, unless it is partial stuck open would not pump past it.  I had one a few years ago that the line off the pump for about 3' had corroded almost closed.  Would eventually pump up to pressure to kick out by the switch but would loose volume after that and pressure.  Just saying, I'm not there to see piping and situation.

intensedrive

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2016, 08:59:24 PM »

Guage and switch was replaced last year.  Could be a leaky pipe underground I see no water pooling on the underground run.  The cut in and cut out is spot on... switch kicks on at 40 psi and off at 60.  I have 1 inch pvc pipe that runs to expansion tank.  I cut the pvc in the middle to the tank and glued it back together.  Could their be blockage, possibly .. just doesn't make any sense lowering the pressure of the tank so low to take in water.  New pump is rated for 10gpm, should take at least 45 seconds or more to fill the tank not happening at lowered 30psi it takes in water for only 10 seconds.  New bladder you can hear it expand.  From all my readings it makes no sense.  If pressure switch is bad it seems the guage would reflect the problem.

fireboss

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2016, 04:39:54 AM »

how about take the nipple and the switch off and see if it is blocked part way! when they changed the pump it stirs everything up!   just a thought