Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: 28-40  (Read 16966 times)

Gooseman

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL2840
    • View Profile
Re: 28-40
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2016, 11:54:54 AM »

I have not added any water since I filled it in Oct. the gauge is sitting in the 3/4 full mark when up to temp and just below 1/2 when cooled down. You must have a weeping fitting somewhere to have to add water all the time.
Sarnia Ontario Canada

Singlemalt

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: BL 2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2016, 01:04:54 PM »

Have not added water since start up in October.

Open the ash pan door, give it about 30 seconds, and then open the fill door. Shouldn't be much smoke coming out the fill door. Do this even if the fan is running. Just remember to close the ash door when your finished.

Thanks for this information. Really made a difference.

Small motion sensor lights work well and are easy on batteries. Lee Valley or Amazon.
Kioti DS 4110 HS, Metavic 1150 log loader
Wallenstein FX 90 winch
Husky 257, 359, 346XP chainsaws

Ontario, Canada

blmike

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: portage & main
  • OWF Model: bl2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2016, 11:06:59 AM »

Are you guys returning water to the top and drawing from the bottom.

rickldb22

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2016, 03:23:35 PM »

I am pulling from the top and returning to the bottom. I add about 5 gallons per season.
Rick

Singlemalt

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Portage and Main
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2016, 04:35:17 AM »

Brian indicated to me that it would not matter how you connected.

I went with the manual.

I draw from the bottom left side and return to the top far right side.
Kioti DS 4110 HS, Metavic 1150 log loader
Wallenstein FX 90 winch
Husky 257, 359, 346XP chainsaws

Ontario, Canada

Crow

• OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2016, 05:33:32 AM »

I am not sure if the manual has been changed since I purchased mine in '13, but mine shows pulling from the top and returning to the bottom. This is how I hooked it up, as well as everything else such as grounding rod, thermostatic bypass etc. Went by their manual so if/when I have an issue and may require warranty repair there should not be a problem. ;)

Anyways mine has been excellent so far except I had to replace several grate bricks after only the second season. The original ones were an issue with moving around if you raked your ashes to much or tried to reposition a large chunk of wood and the gaps would open up on some and close somewhere else. I installed the new style brick with the built in spacers.

I have only added water once this season, a total of 2 1/2 gallons, but it is due again soon but will wait till it is shut down for the summer and after I have sent in my water sample and received my results.

Gooseman

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: BL2840
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2016, 05:34:43 AM »

Drawing from bottom and return to top same side. Right now I am only using one set of ports as my shop wasn't ready to go this year.
Sarnia Ontario Canada

blmike

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2016, 07:10:16 AM »

Going by these post,the ones adding water ( myself included ) draw from the top and return to the bottom.

12valve

• OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: BL-3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2016, 07:52:28 AM »

Just read through all of this.  My connections are good but I also add water.  maybe a gallon a month, I have a valve plumbed into my line in the basement so nbd.  But I would like to know where my water goes....  Mine is plumbed to draw water from upper right and returns to lower left.  Slim why would the plumbing affect this??

blmike

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2016, 08:41:48 AM »

Just read through all of this.  My connections are good but I also add water.  maybe a gallon a month, I have a valve plumbed into my line in the basement so nbd.  But I would like to know where my water goes....  Mine is plumbed to draw water from upper right and returns to lower left.  Slim why would the plumbing affect this??
Brain told me that there is likely hot spots from not enough circulation,and by drawing from the bottom and return to the top should help this.It does not make sense to me but i will revers my lines as soon as it warms up ( it has been -20c lots of mornings here yet ).

blmike

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2016, 08:45:30 AM »

I am not sure if the manual has been changed since I purchased mine in '13, but mine shows pulling from the top and returning to the bottom. This is how I hooked it up, as well as everything else such as grounding rod, thermostatic bypass etc. Went by their manual so if/when I have an issue and may require warranty repair there should not be a problem. ;)

Anyways mine has been excellent so far except I had to replace several grate bricks after only the second season. The original ones were an issue with moving around if you raked your ashes to much or tried to reposition a large chunk of wood and the gaps would open up on some and close somewhere else. I installed the new style brick with the built in spacers.

I have only added water once this season, a total of 2 1/2 gallons, but it is due again soon but will wait till it is shut down for the summer and after I have sent in my water sample and received my results.
If you have added 2.5 gals it was to low and you risk sucking air if you draw from the top.On mine it only takes 1 gal to go from near the bottom to full.

12valve

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2016, 09:03:33 AM »

Brain told me that there is likely hot spots from not enough circulation,and by drawing from the bottom and return to the top should help this.It does not make sense to me but i will revers my lines as soon as it warms up ( it has been -20c lots of mornings here yet ).

Ok so there is hot spot...  what happens to the water??

12valve

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2016, 09:06:52 AM »

This may be a dumb question.  But to test this theory could you just flip the pump?

MerrellRoofing

• OWF Model: BL 34-44
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2016, 09:18:47 AM »

I think mine steams some out. And since it's small water capacity, it's more noticeable than other 300 gallon units. I pull from the bottom but can hear some boiling sometimes if the fire is rockin.
Mid-Michigan
Husqvarna-51-261-372xpg-395xp
Dirty Hand Tools 27 ton 25" splitter
Bri-Mar 6x10 Highside dump trailer
Chevy Dually Dumpx2

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2016, 10:19:38 AM »

This may be a dumb question.  But to test this theory could you just flip the pump?

If you just flip the pump, then the pump will have to pull water thru the entire circuit, expect a short pump life then if it even works. Would also be extremely difficult if not impossible to get the air out.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4