Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: My WoodEze processor rebuild/improvements  (Read 8369 times)

DeerMeadowFarm

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2400
    • View Profile
Re: My WoodEze processor rebuild/improvements
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2017, 08:22:26 AM »

That tubing for the pump mount came from the scrap pile at work!  :thumbup:
My rotary valve looks different from yours, but I think I can add a spring to it like you did.

The electrical control on the lever needs some work as well....

DeerMeadowFarm

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2017, 12:49:00 PM »

Worked on the winch. There was no fairlead, just some rebar welded in a loop to "guide" the cable. I bought a fairlead, made a heavy duty bracket and replaced the rusty frayed cable with a brand new one (still on the spool with shrink-wrap on it) that my company bought years ago, decided they didn't need it since they never used it and threw it out....

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2017, 09:51:03 AM »

Nice. Do you have the block with the hook on it that attaches to the log tray? Thats all I’ve ever used and never had a fairlead.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

DeerMeadowFarm

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2017, 06:32:24 AM »

Nice. Do you have the block with the hook on it that attaches to the log tray? Thats all I’ve ever used and never had a fairlead.
No I do not.  :( Do you have a photo of it that you could share?

I ran it last night after work for the first time since I made the pump mount and added the fairlead. I ran six 12' to 20' logs through it in 45 minutes. No speed record for sure, but on the plus side I never had to lift anything heavier than the winch cable, I wasn't all sweaty or tired at all! I think I can gain speed with experience and a few more improvements:
1. I want to re-locate the winch button near the winch itself or convert it to a wireless remote. Right now the button is near the operator's location, but this requires that you walk around the machine, play cable out, hook up the log, walk around the machine, actuate the button to winch the log in, walk around the machine, unhook the cable, then walk around again to begin processing. Moving the switch would eliminate two trips per log.
2. I need to find a way to release the winch into free spool easier. Right now once the log is winched up the tension on the cable is so tight I need to use a hammer to knock the release lever into free mode. Maybe lubing the drive lug/hub will help? It would be much faster if it worked the same way my 3-point logging winch operated. Any suggestions here would be appreciated!
3. I need to add a cable hook and/or a spot to keep a Peavey near the winch end. I had a couple of logs I processed last night that I struggled to get the cable under/around.
4. Your cut-to-length mod would definitely help as well. I hope to complete that conversion this summer.

Photo from last night:

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2017, 08:45:17 AM »

I ran it last night after work for the first time since I made the pump mount and added the fairlead. I ran six 12' to 20' logs through it in 45 minutes. No speed record for sure, but on the plus side I never had to lift anything heavier than the winch cable, I wasn't all sweaty or tired at all! I think I can gain speed with experience and a few more improvements:
1. I want to re-locate the winch button near the winch itself or convert it to a wireless remote. Right now the button is near the operator's location, but this requires that you walk around the machine, play cable out, hook up the log, walk around the machine, actuate the button to winch the log in, walk around the machine, unhook the cable, then walk around again to begin processing. Moving the switch would eliminate two trips per log.

I have one button at the operators station and one at the winch, makes life much easier.

2. I need to find a way to release the winch into free spool easier. Right now once the log is winched up the tension on the cable is so tight I need to use a hammer to knock the release lever into free mode. Maybe lubing the drive lug/hub will help? It would be much faster if it worked the same way my 3-point logging winch operated. Any suggestions here would be appreciated!

Don’t have the table all the way retracted, leave a foot or so, then just back the table off to loosen the cable. I’ve threatened to add a valve on mine to run the winch backwards, but is not needed 99% of the time.

3. I need to add a cable hook and/or a spot to keep a Peavey near the winch end. I had a couple of logs I processed last night that I struggled to get the cable under/around.

I use a pair of logging tongs on the ones flat to the ground.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

DeerMeadowFarm

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2017, 08:51:24 AM »

I have one button at the operators station and one at the winch, makes life much easier.
[/quote]
Perfect! Can you explain to a non-EE how to wire that up? I struggle with the electronics part of any project.  :(

Don’t have the table all the way retracted, leave a foot or so, then just back the table off to loosen the cable. I’ve threatened to add a valve on mine to run the winch backwards, but is not needed 99% of the time.
[/quote]
Doh!  :bash: Why didn't I think of this? That's a great idea!

I use a pair of logging tongs on the ones flat to the ground.
[/quote]

Funny, my buddy at work just suggested the same thing! I have a set of tongs as well....

Thanks Marty, you've been a great help to me with this project. I hope you continue to do so; I appreciate it!

DeerMeadowFarm

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2017, 09:04:07 AM »

Just thought of something; if another winch switch is mounted near the winch, you'd also have to have an additional switch to actuate the table to loosen the cable in this way or you'd be back to walking around... I wonder if a 2-button remote switch that you could hang on your belt would be better yet? Maybe one function would be to actuate the winch and the other for the table? I have no idea how to accomplish that, but it would be handy to have the remote switch even when hooking up or setting tongs at the log to tighten up some slack....?

Any electrical guys out there that can help?

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2017, 09:42:37 AM »

All you need to do is find a hot, run that back to the winch, install your push to close pushbutton then run the wire from that to either the coil itself that activates the winch or to the wire on the existing switch that goes to the coil.

With my rotary valve and control mounted the way it is I can reach the controls from the right side of the machine to back the table off to unhook the cable. Thats also why I chain the shield in place on the PTO, if the shield ever locks up on the shaft then you’ll know something is up and it needs repaired ASAP. A neighbor ended up with a considerable hospital stay when he went to step over a BRAND NEW PTO shaft and the shield locked up.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 07:02:03 AM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2017, 09:51:44 AM »

Here is a photo of the block and the slot in the log table, it has like a piece of 3/4” rod across it to hook to:

I added a jack stand, a lot of weight on that side of the machine and I’ve had the big snap ring that holds the jack on fail before.  Just a trailer hitch receiver with holes drilled on 1 1/2” centers then the 2x2 thick wall tube has holes drilled on 2” centers.

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

whitepine2

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: P&M 250
  • OWF Model: 250 optermizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2017, 07:04:11 PM »

Deer you might want to put another cable clamp on you hook end,that is what is recommended in most cases some even more but for what you are doing I think two would be fine. 
                                                                                                  My 2 cents worth

DeerMeadowFarm

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2017, 07:04:34 AM »

All you need to do is find a hot, run that back to the winch, install your push to close pushbutton then run the wire from that to either the coil itself that activates the winch or to the wire on the existing switch that goes to the coil.
OK, I'll try to figure it out. Do I need to find a special rated switch? If I can get something local I could try to figure it out this weekend maybe; they're talking that it's going to be a washout...
With my rotary valve and control mounted the way it is I can reach the controls from the right side of the machine to back the table off to unhook the cable. Thats also why I chain the shied in place on the PTO, if the shield ever locks up on the shaft then you’ll know something is up and it needs repaired ASAP. A neighbor ended up with a considerable hospital stay when he went to step over a BRAND NEW PTO shaft and the shield locked up.
Yes, I need to put the chains on my shield ASAP. Right now I walk around the entire machine; I hate stepping over a driveshaft even if the shields are chained.

Here is a photo of the block and the slot in the log table, it has like a piece of 3/4” rod across it to hook to:
I added a jack stand, a lot of weight on that side of the machine and I’ve had the big snap ring that holds the jack on fail before.  Just a trailer hitch receiver with holes drilled on 1 1/2” centers then the 2x2 thick wall tube has holes drilled on 2” centers.
Mine has the slot in the table with the rod under it but I didn't get a snatch block with mine. Nice idea on the rigid leg. Where did you put it exactly? Is that the side the log feeds in from?

Deer you might want to put another cable clamp on you hook end,that is what is recommended in most cases some even more but for what you are doing I think two would be fine. 
                                                                                                  My 2 cents worth

Already done! I took that photo of the winch on Sunday. Monday on my way home from work I grabbed another cable clamp at TSC. I had it on the cable before I used it. I also try to loop the tag end of a cable when I have the second clamp. It was a PITA to do with this size cable but I got it done. The guy I bought it from only had one clamp on it, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #26 on: June 16, 2017, 07:08:20 AM »

Any old pushbutton should work, the coils on the valves don’t pull that much juice.

The jack stand is on the right side of the machine, same side as the log ramp.

For future reference when referring to left and right it’s determined by standing behind the machine looking towards the hitch, every piece of equipment I’ve owned uses this as a standard.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

DeerMeadowFarm

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2017, 07:58:42 AM »

I picked up a push-button starter switch from NAPA on Friday but didn't get a chance to wire it in yet. I ran the machine yesterday; your suggestion to keep the deck back a little to loosen the winch cable once the log is winched up worked great!
Everything worked well and I'm learning to be more efficient with it. I did get hung up on 6 rounds (large ones) or hickory though; it just wouldn't split them. I think an angle grinder on my wedge edges would help a little; they are pretty dull. So far those have been the only things I couldn't split with it.

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2017, 10:52:38 AM »

Everything worked well and I'm learning to be more efficient with it. I did get hung up on 6 rounds (large ones) or hickory though; it just wouldn't split them. I think an angle grinder on my wedge edges would help a little; they are pretty dull. So far those have been the only things I couldn't split with it.

Sharpening it does help a little, the other thing I did was to cut the vertical wedges back a little with a torch then resharpen, originally mine would be trying to split all four ways at once, cutting the vertical back allows the horizontal split to happen first. It’s not the most powerful wood splitter I’ve used, I’ll admit that, but it beats the holy crap out of a splitting maul. On those tough pieces knock em loose with a twelve pound maul, then rotate end for end, don’t flip end to end, if you rotate then the wedge will be trying to split in the same spot it did from the other end. Sometimes depending on the tree species and how crooked or twisted it is running em thru from the small end first it will split better, sometimes not. I also keep a chunk of 4x6 on the processor, if you get a piece that won’t split drop it in the tray and try again, this allows the bottom to be split first, once it pops back the ram off and remove the 4x6 then finish splitting.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

DeerMeadowFarm

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2017, 11:47:47 AM »

My wedge was cut back by some previous owner at some point (see below). Great idea on the 4x6; I actually tried putting one of the split chunks in to do the same thing. I used the tongs and the winch to pull the stuck chunk off of the wedge.
Pages: 1 [2]