Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Why didn't I just get geothermal  (Read 7276 times)

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Why didn't I just get geothermal
« on: February 20, 2014, 09:34:37 PM »

Yea, I was just asked this by a forum member,  ol good buddy haha

But that stirred my soul a little

Why didn't I? 

That could get deep with someone as crazy about this as me

First of all, burning wood is something I feel a deep bond, an internal emotion that must come down from previous generations.  It just makes my soul feel good

Second through eternity -------   well, geothermal is highly over rated imo.  My parents have geothermal on a 1400 Sq ft home that's top quality insulated, still electric bills are over 300.   If my dad's health stays in right direction he will have an own soon, damn cancer

Also, geothermal is often a 20,000 dollar investment on a 2500 Sq ft home.  So to spend 20k on something that will take my heating bill from 500 to 550 down to 350-450 doesn't make a helluva lotta sense.

how about the fact you are still tied to the system? ? Yea you are a little more efficient but electric rates are going one way!  UP!!

Also consider the expected life span of the compressor and such on a geo unit?   Maybe 9-11 years,  then you'll have to upgrade the whole darn thing because it's outdated by then.  My dad's complete geo system duct work and all was 7500 15 years ago, a few years ago a compressor went out and that piece alone was more than his entire system, let's call it green gouging

hoe about the quality of the heat or the warmth factor??  Yes the house says it's 72, but it don't feel warm, it just feels like there is a weird air movement in the house.  Not a very "homey" feel if you ask me

Yes, I could go on all night,  cutting wood, storing it, burning it, it makes me happy.  To know my utility bills went from 550 years ago down to 80-100 now, "not counting solar" is an added bonus, the comfort and peace of mind is huge!

Geothermal is a good ac, but there are new designs of ac out on the market now that are even more efficient

#financialindpendence #energyindependence #liberty #freedom #ihopeitupsetsaliberal #becauseican #epaisapowertool

now for all you not hip in social media? Those are hash tags with some basic points spelled out there lol.  Had to help slimjim I'm sure haha

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: Why didn't I just get geothermal
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 09:37:57 PM »

Burning wood also makes Al Gore cry, so what could be better? ;)
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 09:44:02 PM »

Burning wood also makes Al Gore cry, so what could be better? ;)

Amen, biggest hypocrite in these regards I've ever saw

If the liberals want a cleaner environment,  they need to learn some true conservatism, I'm not talking dem and Republican here because they can both kiss my hind end, but just in general terms   :thumbup:
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2014, 03:41:54 AM »

I wonder when Al Gore and everyone else in power will live the way they endeavor the rest of us live?  They are so full of themselves that I don't listen to them anymore.  The best analogy I can come up with is the doctor telling his/her patient not to smoke due to the dangers of smoking as they themselves are sucking on the cancer sticks.  Every-time they open their mouths I want to tell them to shut the he** up.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2014, 04:59:57 AM »

AWESOME POST SCOTT, and thanks for the help with that one, (sometimes you feel like a nut, sometimes you don't)  and most of the time I do.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

wissel12

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2014, 05:45:26 AM »

Good post Scott.  I took environmental studies in collage.  My classes where full of tree huggers.  I would argue with them all the time.
I would tell them to go live in the woods in a one room house. Live off the land and don't make a foot print. These people can't live with out there phone and etc.  No ones prefect, but burning wood is how are ancestors did it. If you would go back to living a simpler life, how would you stay warm?  WOOD!  It was put on this earth for a reason.  For us to use and we are.
03 Duramax 72000 Miles
Massey Ferguson 275
WD 45
OC4
Stihl Farm boss 290
Stihl 025
Strasburg, Ohio

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2014, 05:58:19 AM »

If you would go back to living a simpler life, how would you stay warm?  WOOD!  It was put on this earth for a reason.  For us to use and we are.

The same argument can be made with peta folks on why so many animals were put on earth, for mans use plain and simple. I get a chuckle when some of em suggest just turn our cattle loose and let em forage for themselves. Would have a lot of dead cows around this winter.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2014, 06:04:12 AM »

PETA, People eating tasty animals
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2014, 07:12:47 AM »

PETA themselves got caught putting 2100 cats and dogs to death and then illegally dumping them. It was a top level decision because it was costing too much to house, feed and care for them. Makes you wonder what they do with all the money they haul in from the infomercials.

Back to the point. Geo never gets the proper coverage like Scott mentioned, because the huge majority are stories just like that. The ROI is two decades down the road at best. However our million dollar customers have electric bills more in the $10-$30 range on 5k - 20k sqft homes. So I really don't know enough about geo systems to know why some see the big saving and many others do not. But were talking $50,000 jobs plus that have the low bill. The cheap sales pitch backed by DTE advertising and DTE authorized installers are the bad systems. Anyone could sit in a class and become NATE or a certified installer. Some very bad installs. That are not seeing the savings. And they too were the only ones that could fill out the paperwork to get the state rebates.
Michigan Thumber

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2014, 07:20:52 AM »

There are tons of geothermal units around my area, a whole lot of them have a outdoor wood furnace in the yard so they can try to recoup some of the savings they were promised and actually stay warm
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Sprinter

• Do it right the first time, its cheaper In the long run
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: Indoor Boiler
  • OWF Model: Menominee
  • In the long run
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2014, 07:31:07 AM »

All this push for replacing old with new energy star appliances is a huge scam. Have never seen soo many problems with all E-star appliances. Same with the soap and pulling the phosphates out. My $1200 dishwasher don't work, did you hook it up right or break something?  No I say, they I give her a box of soap from a non "greenie" state with phosphates. Oh, those dirty rotten politicians, a whole four of them lobbied to write the Phos ban. So instead of saving soap and water, we now use more to clean the same, cuz people put it thru another cycle. Damn shame taking advantage of the people. And taking away any freedom to fend for yourself
Michigan Thumber

wissel12

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2014, 08:09:41 AM »

Just like we cannot slaughter horse anymore.  I tell people turn lose at your congressman's house and he or she can feed them.  No slaughter no market. I have belgians.  We are not allowed to dock their tales. I do it anyway, but peta doesn't like it. Soon they will mirco chip babies when there born. Goverment will now where your at all the time.
03 Duramax 72000 Miles
Massey Ferguson 275
WD 45
OC4
Stihl Farm boss 290
Stihl 025
Strasburg, Ohio

12valve

• OWF Brand: P&M
  • OWF Model: BL-3444
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2014, 08:52:52 AM »

Great post.  Another thing along these lines that ticks me off..... Diesel trucks,  they now have (DPF) Diesle particulate filter along with all kinds of other gizmos and nonsence.  So now they have to build the engines a liter bigger just to make the same power they used to in order to overcome the loses that all the "green" upgrades that were made.  So now the bigger engine burns 25% more fuel, but what it does burn comes out the exhuast a little cleaner... tell me how that makes sense?  Burn more fuel, in a heavier truck, that uses more steel, which all lead to more pollution,  buttttttt the exhaust is cleaner??????????

Also the trucks are alot more $$$$ do not have the same longevity and the fuel is 3x as much as it was 10 years ago.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2014, 10:21:17 AM »

Yep, back 20 years ago they started this exhaust kick.  Dodge took there ram trucks and put an air pump on them that was turned by the engine, the pump supplied fresh air to the exhaust which makes it appear cleaner

How's that for a load of crap?

The epa and California thought it was great but it never dawned on them that it takes more power to turn the pump and more fuel but only disguised the exhaust

We have to many people in position of power with cute little ideas but not enough sense to know what will work and what eont
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

plumb bob

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL 5036
  • still green
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2014, 02:38:25 PM »

Geo is right up there with tankless water heaters. An average install will run you about $4000.00. A lot of money to spend to save $20 maybe $30 bucks a month. Over 10 years on the payback and not to mention the maintenance. Give me a tank type any day.
Pages: [1] 2 3