Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: How full is full?  (Read 2882 times)

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
How full is full?
« on: January 12, 2016, 12:27:21 AM »

Just wondering how full you guys fill up your G series gassers? Slim I know you said you have filled your 200 to the max before but if the fire box is filled completely front to rear, side to side and to the top does it feed ok on the ends?

This weekend was the coldest of the season, 5 degrees daytime and 8 below at night with 10 to 20 mph winds. I loaded my G400 with approximately 21" length pieces centered in the stove, filled side to side to the top of the loading door high. Heating my 50x60x16 shed and the house around 3200 sq. ft. and DHW. 14 hours later still had a good bed of coals that probably would have lasted another 2 to 3 hours.

Haven't tried filling it completely front to rear wondering how it would burn on the ends.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: How full is full?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 04:15:05 AM »

The object on a gasser is not to get a long burn time but a clean and efficient burn instead, I stuffed the 200 I had last year in order to get 10 - 12 hour burns, it did great heating about 6800 feet.
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 07:15:42 AM »

Last night it was cold with a low of 2 and windy. I filled my G400 to about 6” above the bottom of the door opening and placed one large 30” long piece of split wild cherry thats green yet. That was 8 o’clock last night, at 8 this morning most of the ash is gone and that chunk of green cherry is about half gone. Maybe an hour left before all wood is gone. Gonna work it hard here very shortly, turned the snow melt on and turned the heat in the shop up to 70.

With wind being a major consideration on my usage I have a ways to go yet on tightening the shop and house up.

If I had the rest of the windows replaced in the house, all of done in fan fold and house wrap and the shop tighter I could have gotten away with a G200, but I’d also like to build a new shop someday and add that to the G400 as well. Leave the old shop hooked up for oil changes and painting. Would be adding another 3600 to 4800 sq ft with a new shop but if I was building new it would be Minnesota insulated.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 08:14:51 AM »

I should add that I tried stacking in the middle thing, worked all right but all my wood is ran thru a firewood processor and averages 17” long, if I stack it in the center then each end burns away pretty quick and then I have slot exposed and seemed to get more smoke.

I’m stacking them end to end so the firebox front to back and side to side was full to over the bottom of door flange.

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 08:22:34 AM »

The object on a gasser is not to get a long burn time but a clean and efficient burn instead, I stuffed the 200 I had last year in order to get 10 - 12 hour burns, it did great heating about 6800 feet.

Is the shop still uninsulated?

Maybe someday when I get the house done, IE all new windows, fan fold, house wrap and check all the exterior walls for voids where the blow in didn’t make it and completely re-insulate the existing shop I might get away with a G200. Right now with the snow melt on, the house calling for heat and all three shop heaters running the G400 is slowly making it into the upper 170’s. Snow melt really pulls hard when first turned on, once the sidewalk gets up to temp then the 400 barely notices it’s there.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 09:13:18 AM »

I fill mine to the bottom of the door opening also. One stack in the back and one in the front.  I think I could get away with a 200 for a portion of the season but I don't think it would be enough today.  It's 9 deg. outside with 40-45 mph gusts.  The North side of my house is freezing!!! My shop uses about half the heat that my home does.  One day I'll rip the drywall and plaster out and put new windows and spray foam in but until then I'll just have a cold living room....  :bash:
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 01:56:49 PM »

Well I have the g200 and am only heating a measly 2800sqft 220 year old house. I don't think I have even half filled the firebox yet. Nothing real cold for temps though, 3-4 has been the lowest over night temps. I always load for around 12 hour loads. I keep my house at 70 most of the day f anyone is home and 66 after 9pm.

schoppy

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 11:15:46 PM »

Ya Slim a 12 hour burn is all I was looking for also. You hit the nail on the head with mine too big for my load even though I might have the equivalent of 7000 plus sq. ft. I am extremely well insulated and like you Honda I set back to 66 at night and from 5 to 8 p.m. M-F for on peak power hours from my electric utility.

I will be splitting less also using bigger pieces to keep surface areas down and the dry wood from gassing too fast.

Hey mlappin, my daughter may be able to give your snow melt load a run for its money with the showers she takes. Lost it last night when the entire bathroom looked like the fire department had been spraying their hoses everywhere. I should never have told her we have free unlimited hot water now, my bad.
Husqvarna 562XP
Echo CS-361P
Echo CS-310
31 ton splitter