Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Steps for shutting down for the summer.  (Read 2599 times)

Mizzou71

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: 5000
    • View Profile
Steps for shutting down for the summer.
« on: May 19, 2014, 10:22:48 AM »

I have a Heatmaster 5000. What steps do you take when you shut it down for the summer? Do you leave the pump running?

Ched Bull

• OWF Model: mf 5000
    • View Profile
Re: Steps for shutting down for the summer.
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2014, 05:04:27 PM »

Clean out your stove and ash pan fill back with water if needed send water sample in if you have not done so, I personally shut my pump off some people do not.
Stihl 261c, Home made 36 inch long 27 ton horazontal log splitter, John Deer 2520, 2004 Chevy Four Door Duramax 70,000 miles, Kirksville Mo.

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2014, 07:00:22 PM »

My pump is in the basement, attached to the floor joists of the upstairs, and I have it plugged in to an outlet I installed up there.  For the non-burning season I plugged it into an outlet timer and it runs 10 minutes every day, just to keep things from getting stagnant I hope.
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

Curado74

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: Mf5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2014, 07:22:42 PM »

mizzou71,
how do you like your 5000?  I live in central MO and just purchased a MF 5000.  I assume you live in MO as well.  How much wood did you go through with our last winter?  Im excited to get things hooked up and start burning this fall.

Mizzou71

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Model: 5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2014, 07:41:21 AM »

mizzou71,
how do you like your 5000?  I live in central MO and just purchased a MF 5000.  I assume you live in MO as well.  How much wood did you go through with our last winter?  Im excited to get things hooked up and start burning this fall.

I love my MF5000. I live in southwest MO. I heated my 3000 sqf home and hot water with it all winter. I just built the home, and made it pretty efficient. 2x6 exterior walls with BIB (Blown In Blanket) insulation, and R-38 in the attic. I was extremely happy with how much wood that I went through. I think it was around 5 cord. With how cold our winter was here, I felt like that was not a lot of wood. I have also had no problems with keeping my stove burning at all, besides the couple of times that I messed up and didn't get enough wood in it for the day. Or the one time that I went out to put wood in it in the morning and turned off the fan, then forgot to turn it back on for the entire day. When I got home I just (In a bit of a panic) turned the fan back on and she fired right back up.

caper

• OWF Brand: heatmaster 5000
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 10:10:15 AM »

hey there guys, I also have a 5000 , we live here in nova scotia,can we went thru about 10 cords which seems to be the norm, started nov 1 and just shuttn her down this week, heats about 4000 sq feet and all dhw, really pleased with the ole gurl, works really well, it was our second season, gonna do a few things to her this summer to make her abit more efficient tho, anyhow that's my two cents worth...
husky 555
Toyota 4x4
grizzly 700
Harley Street Glide
Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
Canada