Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Maxim M250 caught fire - BE WARNED!! - Kind of a long post  (Read 23769 times)

blwnsmoke

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: Maxim M250 caught fire - BE WARNED!! - Kind of a long post
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2012, 08:30:00 AM »

I'd swear it was brand new as well but the serial number plate on the back is the same with a manufacturer date of 2008 so I know it is mine.

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2012, 09:32:27 AM »

Wow that is impressive..Glad that the dealer and CB took care of you guys :thumbup:
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

ONESWB

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Maxim M250
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2013, 03:59:44 AM »

Appears Central Boiler has come out with a battery backup you can add to the Maxim M250 which helps with preventing the back burn in case you lose power. I have a 45kwh standby Generac generator that automatically comes on in case of power failure but the battery backup might be handy if the generator were to somehow fail. 

walkerdogman85

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: H-4
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2013, 11:33:05 AM »

I am sure you have done this but I would take pictures of everything on it so they can't say it was operator error. That way you have proof if that's what they come up with.
Michael West
Central Ohio

boilerman

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2013, 05:32:50 PM »

That is impressive! Great Pictures too. Looks like a total recondition to new standard! That is a reason to buy from a big established company. Small start ups companies couldn't afford to many hits on their warranties like that or they could financially fold like many have. Glad I own a furnace from Central Boiler.

jtrasap

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2013, 10:23:58 PM »

Okay so this is my fist post on this forum and it's in an odd spot. I've been a lurker for quite some time and am finally in the planning stages of installing an OWB. I stumbled upon this thread by the fact that I currently heat with an indoor pellet stove and I was, prior to reading this, considering a Central boiler brand OWB, so I stumbled in here researching. What gets me is the praise that CB is getting in this thread even the the OP had to go out of his way to get this resolved! He spent his gas, dumped 500lbs of pellets out into the snow, had to spend an unexpected $700 on propane for heat , 'NOT TO MENTION THEY COULD ALL BE DEAD!'...all due to a number of malfunctions and bad engineering, or possibly incorrectly installed parts from the factory, or the dealer (whom represents CB)!!!

In the least, they should have had a 'BRAND NEW' stove delivered and installed, and they should have covered the cost of your soggy snow-soaked pellets,  and the $700 you spent on propane.

I myself would not feel comfortable having the same furnace that caught on fire sitting in my yard again.

The fact that CB took this so seemingly lightly definitely has me looking in other directions for my first OWB.

Oh wait, and then they charge $260!!!! to send it back!!!!???? WT%??

That's not support! That's pitiful.

And yes, I realize this thread is over a year old, I didn't dig it up... ;)

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2013, 10:46:22 PM »

As someone who deals in this industry daily, if you expect any company to do all of that, your looking in the wrong industry. 

He did get his stove repaired, although it did cost him.  There are countless companies out there that wouldn't have ever returned his calls or if they did woulda told him tough luck, you did something wrong.

I have personally never had a stove failure under my belt, I did however see another dealer have a leaker several years back due to a faulty weld, the dealer called the company on site, they told the dealer to give him a new stove and they'd take care of the costs, they did all that.  Customer was thrilled, I think his boiler was around a year old.  However, if it were an absolute huge company, the levels of bureaucracy that one would have to go through to even be able to talk to someone who could help is crazy. Its called being a little to big for there own good, it's a hassle.  I see the good and bad of each end of the scenario all the time
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

jtrasap

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2013, 11:03:03 PM »

Yeah, I've come to notice that there seems to be a pattern with a certain few manufacturers, the funny thing is they seem to be somewhat hit and miss. Is their customer service really that unstable and unpredictable, or do they have an army of drones that post praise on threads in order to even out the cost of the negative posters?... ;)

In your opinion and experience, who has the best customer service?

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2013, 12:03:36 AM »

Yeah, I've come to notice that there seems to be a pattern with a certain few manufacturers, the funny thing is they seem to be somewhat hit and miss. Is their customer service really that unstable and unpredictable, or do they have an army of drones that post praise on threads in order to even out the cost of the negative posters?... ;)

In your opinion and experience, who has the best customer service?

In my personal experience, heatmaster.  That's not to say others arent as good but they were the ones who initially impressed me with customer service. 

One thing a consumer often overlooks is the dealer, if you buy a cb stove or whatever brand from a dealer who sells 4 stoves a year, then you have an issue, you call up your dealer who isn't very experienced and he's like well hmm what well maybe I need to call the company. 

Here is how the rest usually unfolds

Dealer calls, company isn't giving him the yea yes go ahead talk while there pulling up a file to see who he is....  Then they see he bought 4 stoves last year and there like, hold on a minute I've got a call on another line.  3 min later, hoping you've gave up he finally hears you out and feeds some line of bull that it's all operator error.  The company might know good and well they have an issue but issues cost money, and this guy only buys a few stoves per year..  The chances of the company bending over backwards to help is not likely at this point, the bigger boiler companies do not look at consumers as there targets, but more as to there dealer base.  So I do feel it's important that your dealer have a bit of leverage, i have seen companies act totally different on issues such as that based simply on who was the dealer complaining..

I've not had empyre do me wrong as far as anything, but they are huge, trying to get through the bs to get something done is a bit pathetic.  I can be on my way down the road and have a customer need something, call, and it's like well you need to fill out this work order and blah blah blah and have it into us before we can ship it out, only delaying everything for everyone. This is that way with the bigger companies, it's kinda like a government, the bigger they are, the harder they "can" be to deal with. 

However, be your own judge, look at products  and study companies, find a company that appears to have took pride in the product. 

CB like it or not, was probably well within the guidelines of the warranty in regards to this issue the topic is about. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

blwnsmoke

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2013, 11:35:28 AM »

Kind of funny I was doing some searching online trying to find some answers and stumbled upon this.  Figured I'd give an update.

Since the rebuild, unit has been functioning properly up till the past month.  I've had a few back burn warnings during last summer (I ran it all summer long to heat my hot water).  But the unit performed as it should clearing out the auger, then reigniting itself when the temps corrected.  Do I have 100% confidence, no but it is functioning as it should.

My dealer did email me last Spring letting me know about the battery backup.  He ordered one in for me and I installed it.  A little tricky on the wiring.. I paid more attention to the wiring diagram/layout then the instructions to insure I had it wired properly.

All it does is if you lose power, the stove shuts down but the battery backup monitors the temps inside.. if it senses a back burn, it will clear the auger.  It does not run the whole stove to keep it operating.

I contacted Stu at CB regarding this and he said that they have tested it out to last about a week with no power on the battery backup.  At this point, I think I'm going to go 50/50 mix for this coming winter.  That way if I'm gone and we lose power, the Back Burn is all set and the water won't freeze. 

My current issue is that it isn't igniting properly now.  If I run out of pellets, it doesn't try to reignite.  I can hold the ignite button down and it will fire for 3-5 seconds then stop firing.  I have to continuously repeat the process to get it to fire long enough for the pellets to ignite. 

I've done a full cleaning inside which caused me to have to buy a new auger (twisted the head of the bolt off inside the auger when tightening) ) and replaced the temp sensor inside the unit as the tip had become brittle and flaked off exposing the element inside the probe. 

Will be reinstalling everything today.

Dealer informed me that it is 1 year parts, 5 year on welds.  Shame on me for not reading the manual but I took the advertised "5 year warranty" as 5 years bumper to bumper if you will. 

I'll be going directly to CB for troubleshooting as my dealer isn't much help with this particular issue but has been good with everything else in the past.
Pages: 1 2 [3]