Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: OWB for PA  (Read 6705 times)

MaverickM23

• OWF Brand: Empyre
  • OWF Model: Pro 200
    • View Profile
OWB for PA
« on: February 23, 2013, 07:26:01 AM »

Been looking into getting an OWB and been doing some research on this site trying to decide on one. However I was told that since I am in PA I must only purchase one off of this list http://www.epa.gov/burnwise/owhhlist.html. So If I am to buy an OWB does it have to be from this list? I have been looking at a Heatmaster 5000E and Tennessee Outdoor stove but neither of those are on the list. Guess I just need a little clarification as to what I should or can even be looking for. My township does not have any restrictions on OWB's

eco-extend

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Re: OWB for PA
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2013, 07:28:04 AM »

theres nothing saying about buying a coal stove !!!! they are not banned

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2013, 07:41:58 AM »

Been looking into getting an OWB and been doing some research on this site trying to decide on one. However I was told that since I am in PA I must only purchase one off of this list http://www.epa.gov/burnwise/owhhlist.html. So If I am to buy an OWB does it have to be from this list? I have been looking at a Heatmaster 5000E and Tennessee Outdoor stove but neither of those are on the list. Guess I just need a little clarification as to what I should or can even be looking for. My township does not have any restrictions on OWB's

I sell heatmaster and can say we're not supposed to sell them in pa.  It's supposed to be only the EPA phase 2 units.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

franky1

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2013, 07:44:58 AM »

Well if nobody gives u an idea, I will
look up portageandmainboilers.com

boilerman

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 11:40:06 AM »

The state of PA is one of 9 states that require OWF's to be Phase 2 qualified. they would be listed on the site/ list above and also have an EPA hang tag on them.
If you go outside of the state and purchase/install a none qualified unit and a nieghbor, inspector or insurance man finds out and reports it, you will be forced to shut furnace down and subject to a large daily fine until you do. You can thank EPA and your state legistlators for implementing these programs.

scarface77

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: earth outdoor wood furnace
  • OWF Model: mountain man 500
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 03:55:17 PM »

I live in Pa. and had issues with my township. I wanted a non gasser simply because of less maintenance and less hassle of keeping the fire going. I know people with gasser's and a lot aren't happy with them. I found out on Shaver's web site if you purchase a OWB with grates and ash pan it can be used for coal and there's no EPA emissions on a coal stove in Pa. and other states. Also if the OWB is 350,000 btu's that also would be legal. I then purchased the earth mountain man 500 and love it as its very simple to use and maintain. It's also built like a tank. Just the weight of the unit sold me on it as is why I believe its a heavy duty OWB. Hope this helps out and good luck.
Earth Outdoor Wood Furnace Mountain Man 500
Huskee 35 ton log splitter
Stihl ms 290 chainsaw

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2013, 04:04:04 PM »

There is the coal loop hole for sure.....
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

MaverickM23

• OWF Brand: Empyre
  • OWF Model: Pro 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2013, 04:43:29 PM »

Thats rediculous, I didn't realize PA had all these regs. But a friend of mine has a CB Classic and he swears the guy he got it from is still selling that same model and its not on the list of approved furnaces. I was leaning at first towards gassers because of the wood saving, I have lots of wood available but already cut for my parents who use two indoor stoves and want something that will run and burn efficiently so that I dont need 10 cords. I was thinking Heatmaster 5000E but since its not on the list maybe I have to go with a gasser type. I guess what Im trying to find out is typical wood usage on some of these approved models. Im trying to heat about a 3800 square foot home.

scarface77

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2013, 04:56:26 PM »

Scott7m got a question for you. How long do you think this coal loop hole will last before the EPA steps in and in a old post you mentioned you might become a dealer for earth. What are your thoughts on earth? I'm very happy with mine and last time I called earth they say they have a EPA phase 2 boiler and already have a few sold. 
Stihl ms 290 chainsaw

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2013, 04:58:28 PM »

dont know a thing about US laws but how could they say a poor peasant has to stop burning coal when they are still allowing coal fired electric plants? ::)
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2013, 05:01:11 PM »

Scott7m got a question for you. How long do you think this coal loop hole will last before the EPA steps in and in a old post you mentioned you might become a dealer for earth. What are your thoughts on earth? I'm very happy with mine and last time I called earth they say they have a EPA phase 2 boiler and already have a few sold.

The loop hole will get slammed shut very soon IMO. 

My thoughts on earth?  Interesting you ask, I spoke with them for almost 90 mins yesterday about some new units there coming out with and I must say, I'm definelty impressed with the company and work ethic they all seem to have.  In my original effort to become a dealer, there was a thing or two I wasn't crazy about but they seem to be really proactive.  All I feel comfortable in saying is that when there new unit comes out, it could def put a damper on the down draft guys...
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2013, 05:02:42 PM »

dont know a thing about US laws but how could they say a poor peasant has to stop burning coal when they are still allowing coal fired electric plants? ::)

Because they can....    It's not anything to do with the coal, just the power to tell someone else what to do
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

scarface77

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2013, 05:09:08 PM »

Thanks Scott7m, always good info and post.
Stihl ms 290 chainsaw

scarface77

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2013, 05:45:08 PM »

MaverickM23 where in Pa. are you located?
Stihl ms 290 chainsaw

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2013, 05:53:15 PM »

...the down draft guys...

Newb, still trying to learn the lingo.  By "down draft guys", do you mean gassifier manufacturers? 

Interesting to hear that your estimation of the Earth gang may be changing.
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA
Pages: [1] 2