Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Softened water in the boiler  (Read 2761 times)

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
Softened water in the boiler
« on: January 29, 2019, 05:54:05 PM »

I have iron in my water and hard water.  I just bought an iron filter and water softener.  I also want to drain my boiler in the spring and refill it and actually treat the water this time.  I'm going to make some changes to my setup, too. 

When I refill, should I use the softened water or should I draw from the water before the softener?  Either way, it's going to go through the iron filter first. 

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
Re: Softened water in the boiler
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2019, 06:42:08 PM »

Since you have it anyways, I would use the softened water if it can handle the volume.  It is better for the boiler, less chance of a hardness scale forming. 
Muskoka, Ont

E Yoder

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 01:18:58 AM »

I've heard recommendations both ways, soft or not softened. Less scale with softened as was mentioned, but pH is higher with non-softened water.
Might want to ask the manufacturer. My guess is you'll be fine either way if it's treated properly.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2019, 01:24:23 AM by E Yoder »
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

WoodMOJoe

• OWF Brand: Homemade Tank-in-Tank Furnace
  • OWF Model: Ol' Fireball #0002
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 04:57:46 AM »

We don't have an issue with iron around here but our water is extremely hard, lime scale will totally plug a water-to-water hx in 2 heating seasons if you don't clean it.

When I filled my boiler I bought a 5-stage reverse osmosis filter and filled it from there, took about 7 days to fill.  Added boiler treatment also, of course.

This is our 5th heating season and the water-to-air hx in the furnace plenum is still going strong, doesn't seem to have any flow restriction as far as I can tell.

There is some conversation about different methods of treating water in my build thread here:  https://outdoorwoodfurnaceinfo.com/forum/index.php?topic=3693.0
Southwest Missouri Ozarks...USA

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2019, 09:14:38 AM »

I’ve not noticed any difference in Ph between soft and non soft water here.

We use soft water in the aquariums for a reason, hard gets cloudy rather quick and you’re constantly cleaning the glass.

I’ve checked both before and after the softener, our water Ph is 7.6 period. I spent a lot of time and a decent amount of change trying to bring it down to the “perfect” 7.0 for aquariums. Gave up eventually, if it wants to be 7.6 then fine, fish and plants will get used to it eventually or not. Just buy accordingly.

I use soft water in both boilers here. Also need quite a bit for blending fertilizer. Hard water does weird things when used for blending fertilizer.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana