Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: man dies in "outdoor furnace explosion"  (Read 8060 times)

silver star

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
man dies in "outdoor furnace explosion"
« on: January 31, 2018, 08:59:50 AM »

Some sad news in a nearby county.  A 47 year old veterinarian died from injuries in an outdoor furnace explosion on his property.  He seemed to be very involved in his community. 

No details were given on what the explosion was about.  I may make a call to get more info.  Are any types of furnaces capable of that?
Husbands must learn to forget their mistakes. No reason two people should remember them forever.

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
Re: man dies in "outdoor furnace explosion"
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 09:13:21 AM »

I suppose it is possible but details would help any analysis. If the unit somehow became over-pressurised, it could explode, but I would think a fitting would give way first.  There are TV shows which have shown what happens to a home's hot water tank when the relief valve is capped off and the thermo shut off is overridden.  A small house can be easily destroyed!  There is a lot of potential energy in a pressurized vessel!
Muskoka, Ont

Jon_E

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G200 Gasifier
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 10:24:18 AM »

Heard from another source that liquid fuels were somehow involved - like gasoline.  Not sure it is true but it might explain a lot.
Firewood collector and hot water enthusiast.

heat550

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 11:32:32 AM »

Chemicals had to be involved. Because there all open systems.
Cycling burning anything  kinda chemicals . Is only way.
This could happen .

Heat550

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 12:34:36 PM »

Chemicals had to be involved. Because there all open systems.
Cycling burning anything  kinda chemicals . Is only way.
This could happen .

Heat550

Not necessarily, Heatmor’s run like 4lbs pressure and I think it was Hardy ran the same pressure as a indoor boiler, or could be run.

Maybe a duel fuel model and for some reason the LP or nat gas didn’t ignite but it also didn’t shut off?
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 01:39:51 PM »

I suppose you could call my Heatmor "pressurized."  The pressure is held in by a rubber ball over a 1" pipe sticking vertically out of the water jacket.  The rubber ball has about 6" of 1/4" stainless rod in it as weight.  There's a small rubber innertube used as the expansion bladder, too.  Explosion from that would be highly unlikely.  The rubber ball would vent pressure.  If that were capped, the innertube would over expand and blow, or worst case one of the rubber hoses held on by a worm clamp would pop off of the door and dump all of the pressure.

I'd also say that a chemical is likely the cause of an outdoor boiler explosion.

wreckit87

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 02:04:49 PM »

There are a whole mess of possible scenarios here. Aquatherm is probably the biggest, but there are several other OWB out there designed from the factory to run as a pressurized system at 12+ PSI. EconoBurn, Royall, Woodmaster makes one now, Jack, Greenwood, Tarm, not to mention a plethora of the small manufacturers and homemade units. I've also seen a few folks try to pressurize a regular, non-pressurized unit which we know is a bomb. Also saw a P&M BL2840 once that the float on top would get frosty and freeze in, then build a bunch of pressure and blow the float 100 feet in the air and shoot a bunch of water out the fill/vent hole. There are a lot of units out there building unnecessary pressure. A guy on the FB page a few weeks ago was having some issues with his Aquatherm operating at 45psi! 1 gallon of water makes something like 1600 gallons of steam, so something like that could easily level a house if it were inside and flashed to steam. This poor fella that got killed, I would sure think there was some sort of catalyst involved like gasoline or whatever. However the back of my mind wonders what if it was just the wood gas igniting? We've all lost an eyebrow from opening the boiler door too fast in the wrong part of the cycle, and I myself broke a finger last winter from one of these flareups. I was standing behind the door with my hand on the latch, and when it caught enough air it jumped into a fireball which in turn smashed the door open with enough force to break my middle finger and made my wrist sore for weeks. Maybe if the poor guy was off guard and something like that happened, it's entirely possible that the door could've torn off the hinges and smashed his head or whatever. It's all speculation at this point and nobody really knows for sure, but no matter what happened it's still an unfortunate scenario and should be a reminder to all of us that what we're calling a lax daily activity, can in fact be very dangerous if handled improperly. BE CAREFUL!

userdk

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnaces - Pineview Woodstoves
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 02:10:48 PM »

A few years back we had a service call where a guy's Aqua-Therm had "blown up" . Turns out the pressure relief valve had rusted shut so when something caused his boiler to overheat the welds failed in the back of the fire box.  The fire box door blew open and the wood put a dent in the wall acrooss the shed from it.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 02:34:04 PM »

I suppose you could call my Heatmor "pressurized."  The pressure is held in by a rubber ball over a 1" pipe sticking vertically out of the water jacket.  The rubber ball has about 6" of 1/4" stainless rod in it as weight.  There's a small rubber innertube used as the expansion bladder, too.  Explosion from that would be highly unlikely.  The rubber ball would vent pressure.  If that were capped, the innertube would over expand and blow, or worst case one of the rubber hoses held on by a worm clamp would pop off of the door and dump all of the pressure.

I'd also say that a chemical is likely the cause of an outdoor boiler explosion.

Yah, forgot all about the rubber hoses for the door, if standard heater hose they routinely take 16 lbs when on a vehicle.

The wood gas theory is interesting.

Still wonder if maybe he thought it was out and added something and it found some live coals.

I really feel for his family of course, but would be nice to definitely know as to educate others on the dangers of flammables, following directions, routine maintenance like checking relief valves etc.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 05:16:40 PM »

If this is accurate, I would bet that a large amount of gasoline was probably involved.
http://www.wave3.com/story/37377076/orange-county-in-mourns-beloved-veterinarian

Pointblank

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 06:00:44 PM »

More than likely some other fuel was involved vs a pressurized explosion but its hard to guess for sure. Perhaps a dual fuel model malfunctioned. Either way, very unfortunate.
Central Boiler Classic Edge 550
Previous- Central Boiler 5648- 13 years

Minnesota

RSI

• OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 06:41:27 PM »

The news article said he died from burns. If a pressurized boiler blew up I doubt it would have been burns that were mentioned. (unless it was steam burns)
The part about the wife's burned hands makes me think he was on fire and she was trying to put it out. It seems really unlikely that the flash of wood smoke would continue long enough to set him on fire unless he was wearing some highly flammable clothes.

If the fire was out and he threw some gas of other flammable liquid in, it could have been sitting there smoldering and filling the firebox with fumes and then self ignited or he struck a match and it went kaboom.

E Yoder

• OWF Model: GS 100
    • View Profile
    • www.heatmasterfurnace.com
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 07:44:55 PM »

My cousin had an explosion from a bit of kerosene on hot ashes in an indoor stove that burned his lungs and had him in in the hospital burn center for a few days.
Could happen to any of us.  I've singed my sideburns plenty of times, in a hurry.
Wow,  I feel for his family.
HeatMaster dealer serving southwest VA.
www.heatmasterfurnace.com

Bluegrass Wood Burner

• OWF Brand: Ozzark Biomass
  • OWF Model: Gasconade 500 gallon
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 07:45:34 PM »

I will just about guarantee you he opened his boiler either deep in the burn cycle or emediatley after. We had a gentleman in his 70s that the exact same thing happened to. He opened the door and the flame came out and burned him so bad flesh was falling off his bones. He also sat and talked to people and died a few minutes later. I've had a couple close calls myself and it is nothing more than user error. If her hands were burned then his cloths were likely on fire and she was trying to put it out. I could be wrong on this but it can happen, trust me it can. I have learned my lesson and I am much more careful than I was when I first put mine in.
South central Kentucky
Ford F-150
16 ft tandem trailer
3000# winch
Husqvarna 142
Husqvarna 460 rancher
6ft spud bar
Poulan 3314
22 ton lowes splitter
Timberline sharpener
"Worn out body"

heat550

• OWF Brand: Heatmor
  • OWF Model: 1994 200ss 2015 400dcss
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2018, 02:14:01 AM »

You know diesel fuel or kerosene. Can do strange stuff it can vaporize you'll see like a steam like and 10 secs later it can ignite and it's a crazy ignition on coals. I seen this on brush fires. Also older heatmors 1994 model had no safety switch on outside door. This was style you just didn't load unless fan was on . I had light on it so you know from house when you can load it . Someone not knowing can try to open it fan was off it blow pretty violently I don't think it would be as bad to kill a person . And the ball on heatmors would always pop off . Steam in door lines would be the most evil that I can think of but there directed away from a person.. sure is to bad .. to me the tip was wife's hands there must of been chemical burning and splashed around  the way it sounds..

Heat550

Like to know the facts what he did or stove he was dealing with.
Pages: [1] 2