Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Boiler temp just for hot water  (Read 2603 times)

johnybcold

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
Boiler temp just for hot water
« on: May 01, 2013, 01:59:40 PM »

I shut my unit down today and I was wondering how low I should set my indoor oil boiler at all I will use it for is hot water  I was thinking 170.
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Re: Boiler temp just for hot water
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 05:46:37 PM »

I shut my unit down today and I was wondering how low I should set my indoor oil boiler at all I will use it for is hot water  I was thinking 170.

Johnyb - This weekend I'll be shutting down my OWB also.  I'm going to set my oil furnace to 190 high set point and 170 low set point.  That's what it was when I fired up the OWB in the fall so I'll be putting it back.  However, perhaps those who are in the business can share their opinions on this too.  If it isn't going to make a difference I just may set mine lower too.  Did you have any trouble with your e1400 this year?  Mine ran great all winter.  Never lost the fire to bridging or anything else.  I couldn't be happier the way it ran.  Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

johnybcold

• OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 05:59:15 PM »

My was good this year a lot better then last year, I wish winter never ended
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2013, 06:30:18 AM »

Hey guys the question on temp for water depends first on do you have a tankless coil within your oil boiler or an indirect tank, either way the low setting on the aquastat is for domestic water temp protection.We could get into a whole conversation about controls but there is a very simple and inexpensive way to do what you are trying to accomplish without adjusting anything on your boilers and they will talk to each other to determine where the heat comes from and the temp will be constant. This can be accomplished using a simple honeywell strap on aquastat attatched to the incoming wood boiler line, the R and B terminals will break on rise and this gets wired to interupt power to B-1 on the oil boiler, by doing this the added aquastat will interupt power to the burner any time that the wood boiler is up to temp and when it is not the oil boiler will kick  on with a call for heat and run up to the oil boiler aquastat setpoint, by turning down the oil boiler aquastat to say 140 during the winter months to keep the oil boiler from coming on you may need to readjust it to supply enough heat if your wood boiler goes out. If you need help with part numbers or wiring diagrams PM me with your contact info and I will try to help.
       Richard @ PM
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2013, 10:13:21 AM »

Just set it so the boiler temperature doesn't drop below 140 under heavy DHW use. Keeping it lower will have less heat loss in the house that the A/C has to remove.
If you aren't getting hot enough DHW with it set that low, just turn it up till you do.

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2013, 09:10:16 AM »

For all you folks that burn year round do you use a rain cap?