Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pallet butner  (Read 6579 times)

05rammer

• View Profile
Pallet butner
« on: January 30, 2010, 09:17:21 AM »

I am new to the site and would like to say it is a nice site and very helpfull.  I was wondering if anybody new anything about Central Boiler Pallet burner?  It would be used to heat about 4500sqft house and a 60x80 shed with 20ft ceillings.  The house and shed would be new,  just tring to do research before I build them.  Is that to big of a boiler or would that be about right?  Any input on the topic would be appreciated.
Thanks

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
Re: Pallet butner
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2010, 04:05:37 PM »

I am new to the site and would like to say it is a nice site and very helpfull.  I was wondering if anybody new anything about Central Boiler Pallet burner?  It would be used to heat about 4500sqft house and a 60x80 shed with 20ft ceillings.  The house and shed would be new,  just tring to do research before I build them.  Is that to big of a boiler or would that be about right?  Any input on the topic would be appreciated.
Thanks
WOW i looked on their site and they say this stove can burn the equivlent of 1500 gals of heating oil a month...you need to figure out (from a real furnace guy) how many btu you will need

using available info from the net..to equal that many gal of oil per month you would need to burn 44,000 pounds of  month..using good dry hickory that would equal about 22 bush cords (4x4x8)

1500 gal of oil = 225,000,000 BTU
1 cord of dry hickory weighs about 4000 LB and equals 20,000,000 BTU

11 cords x 20,000,000, =very close to the 225,000,000

that's a lot of pallets

double check my math...this is making me dizzy
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2010, 06:06:43 PM »

if willie's right, you'll need a few acres of land to store that many pallets!

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2010, 06:57:12 PM »

Thanks
comparing your home to one in my area (cold ontario canada) your home is twice as big (this home is well insulated) and he uses about 7 cords (4x4x8)  to heat his home and small shed..so you would need (in comparison) 14 cords for your home...your shed is anyones guess so i will make a guess (but it is not even an educated one) your shed would be about the same as your home (a little bigger) but lets say you don't keep it near as warm...
another 10 cords...total 24 cords...or an average of 2 ton a cord....48 tons of wood for a year..and pallets will not be considered "dry" wood...it will weigh heavier and you will need to burn more to get the required BTU's

all this is a guess as your efficiency rating of the stove is not known...my guesstimate is using an average older OWB at about 60 % efficient

as i stated earlier you need to do a heat loss calculation on your new buildings (and if you are putting in a furnace for backup...the contractor should do this heat loss calculator before selling you a furnace anyway)
once you know your heaat loss and the contractor tells you how big of a furnace you need...you can compare that furnace to the OWB you need...remember of course the efficiency rating
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2010, 08:39:16 PM »

No such thing as too large a boiler. I think the pallet burner is the largest boiler central makes. If that wont heat I guess you will have to look for something larger. 60x80 shed? Nice.
i seen a corn stove a few years back that was used to heat a green  house...it was rated at 75 bushel a day
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

05rammer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2010, 09:06:33 PM »

I thought that getting the pallet burner would let me burn bigger peices of wood and it would allow me to load it with a skid steer.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2010, 09:18:55 PM »

i am sure it will let you load bigger wood and use your skid  steer. and i don't want to scare you off from having one...but  i think with that much area to heat you should have a heat loss calculation done to really get an idea of how much wood you are talking about. if i am even remotely close to the amount of wood you will need..it is quite a lot..24 bush cords is a big pile  a stack 4 feet high x 4 feet wide x 190 some feet long you will require a lot of time and work to accuulate that much wood no one on this site will tell you, you should not do it but i would caution you to ivestigate it fully to make a wise decision for yourself. there have been people that buy one of these brutes and then find they hate having to find, cut , and cart the wood...they find they are not as dedicated as they need to be and end up trying to sell their OWB and generally take a huge loss to get rid of it

make your choice for yourself and if you get an OWB learn to enjoy it and keep us informed here on the site of what  you do..we love to hear the stories of hookups and such.
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2010, 04:51:18 PM »

i think the CL7260 might be a better choice,it has700plus gallon capacity, loading with skid steer sounds easier then it is,if the wood is that heavy once it falls in you better hope its where you want it.