Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Flue temp of g200?  (Read 2554 times)

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Flue temp of g200?
« on: November 01, 2016, 06:53:16 AM »

I was wondering if anyone took a flue temp of their 200 when it was new. I know a few factors play out as far as just how hot the gasification is but I checked mine the other day with my IR gun on the inside of the flue pipe and on the back of the stove above the hx pipes where the fan is mounted. I got 325 inside the flue pipe and 315 on the back plate above the hx. I was burning hard maple and it was gassing very well. I was just wondering because I figure at some point the hx pipes should be mechanically cleaned( not a fun job to access) and not just 'shook' off with the turbulators.

coolidge

• View Profile
Re: Flue temp of g200?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 06:18:34 PM »

I drilled a hole in my pipe about 4" above collar, have a high temp meat thermometer in hole, generally stays 325-350.
Western Maine

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 06:56:52 PM »

I was thinking about doing that, I was talked out of the flue pipe though because of the double wall pipe with insulation and not wanting to get rain water in there. I thought instead about drilling a hole in the back plate,the plate the inducer fan mounts to. Then put in a thermowell like you have for water temp gauges and then inserting a gauge into that, not sure if they have temp gauges that go up that high though? That makes me feel good that my flue temp is around yours. Have you had it in there since new? Has the readings changed it all? Do you see a difference between shaking the tabulator handle? 

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 07:08:39 PM »

I was thinking about doing that, I was talked out of the flue pipe though because of the double wall pipe with insulation and not wanting to get rain water in there. I thought instead about drilling a hole in the back plate,the plate the inducer fan mounts to. Then put in a thermowell like you have for water temp gauges and then inserting a gauge into that, not sure if they have temp gauges that go up that high though? That makes me feel good that my flue temp is around yours. Have you had it in there since new? Has the readings changed it all? Do you see a difference between shaking the tabulator handle?

You can get thermocouples in about any temp range you want, up to 500 degrees would work good and be fairly plentiful, hit up Ebay or Amazon.

Regardless of what my G400 runs, I know for a fact it’s a LOT less than my old one with temps around 750 plus, I’ve also yet to see flames out the stack of the G.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 08:52:22 PM »

I want to watch it to monitor the condition of the hx tubes. If the temps get to high it's probably time to brush the tubes. Rtd thermocouple and then hook it up to its own temp readout? The logo control is very capable but I think you'd have to reprogram it to read that thermocouple.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2016, 09:28:40 PM »

I want to watch it to monitor the condition of the hx tubes. If the temps get to high it's probably time to brush the tubes. Rtd thermocouple and then hook it up to its own temp readout? The logo control is very capable but I think you'd have to reprogram it to read that thermocouple.

I honestly don’t think I’d worry about it very much but it would be a fairly interesting experiment.

You can pick up any little 3 or 4 digit display and a thermocouple for well less than a hundred bucks, probably fifty if you don’t mind low quality.

One of these from Amazon, less than $40, includes thermocouple: https://amzn.com/B007H5GQUY

It is a controller instead of just a readout, but you could always have it turn a light on at a preset flue temp.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 09:33:57 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Jared43758

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C250
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 03:30:16 PM »

I would be curious to see the stack temps of my c250. I hVe a laser thermometer but i don't think it's very accurate. I would like to compare to g series.  I'm guessing it's cooler due to the fact that the thing only has a 3 inch tall chimney and they say the temp is so low cause the stove absorbs so much of the heat that any amount of extension to the pipe will cause condensation and drip water back inside the stove.
Stihl MS290
Stihl MS660 Magnum
Husky 21 ton splitter

Southeast Ohio

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 04:02:22 PM »

iR thermometers are accurate if you understand how they work. For one thing the further you move the sensor away from what you are measuring the area that it is measuring gets larger and larger which takes the average of the area. The other thing is that what you are trying to measure can't be shiny. The shininess causes wildly inaccurate readings. The way to get around this is to wrap electrical tape or put electrical tape on the spot you are measuring.

Jared43758

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C250
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 04:15:32 AM »

Thanks for the tips. The one I have is a $20 job the wife ordered from Amazon. So it's not that great prolly.  I used it to measure temp on outside of pex line in. Basement and I would get a 30 difference in most measurements everytime I took them in the same area and same distance.  It's dull in color.
Stihl MS290
Stihl MS660 Magnum
Husky 21 ton splitter

Southeast Ohio

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 08:27:30 AM »

With pex you need to hold the sensor end right on the Pex.