Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Coating the water jacket? Just paint?  (Read 4132 times)

gandgracing

• View Profile
Coating the water jacket? Just paint?
« on: October 16, 2011, 06:47:46 PM »

As some of you have seen I'm having alot of problems with my Shaver boiler and its getting re-done  What do you guys use to coat the outside of the tank?  I found some rubber coating but it was over $200.  Whats a good thick paint to use and take up to around 190*?

peacmar

• View Profile
Re: Coating the water jacket? Just paint?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 05:35:27 AM »

I used a good high quality engine enamel on the entire exterior when I built mine. Non of that cheap stuff you buy in the stores. I found a couple different suppliers online at the time and it was about $8 a can. I forget what the brand was but it contained ceramic, is heat resistant to 500 degrees, stands up to creosote and is hard as a rock. Looks Damn good in gloss black also ;D Im at work and on break right now but ill look and see if I have some extra laying around yet when I get home and try to get you more info on what I used.

powerstroke

• OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: Series 290
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 08:38:19 AM »

Hands down, use a product called POR15.  Google it.  I run an automotive restoration, fabrication, and repair shop and have used this stuff a bunch.  It is unbelievable!!!!!  1 qt would probably do what you need.  It is about $50 for a quart but it is the best stuff on the planet!!!!
Stihl 310 20" bar

Stihl 391 25" bar

Homelite  14" bar

Shaver Pro Series 290

vpd66

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 10:43:38 AM »

I used POR-15 on alot of restoration projects and its good stuff, but I don't know if it can withstand the heat of a wood stove.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 03:15:52 PM »

I used POR-15 on alot of restoration projects and its good stuff, but I don't know if it can withstand the heat of a wood stove.
I got this off their website under the laboratory test results
A POR-15® coating was subjected to 450°F for 10 hours; it remained hard and showed no apparent loss of adhesion. A panel subjected to elongation was pulled beyond the yield point of the base metal without affecting the POR-15® coating.

powerstroke

• OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: Series 290
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 05:46:36 PM »

Alot of automotive paint supply stores carry the stuff.  Someone around you should have it.  I have often wished I would have coated my whole furnace with the stuff!  Good luck!
Stihl 310 20" bar

Stihl 391 25" bar

Homelite  14" bar

Shaver Pro Series 290

gandgracing

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 07:00:13 PM »

Well I just bought some Restolium oil based paint cause he needs it done quick so he can stand it up. I'll put several coats on it. Don't want something to permanent in case it leaks again.