Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: circulating pump  (Read 2348 times)

rick n kristi

• View Profile
circulating pump
« on: January 27, 2013, 10:01:24 AM »

Who has had to replace a pump? What tipped you off to a problem? What kind of pump did you have and what kind did you replace the bad one  with? I noticed my pump has started to chatter, I'm guessing after 3.5 seasons I may be looking at replacing it. Looked up the pump online and found it was made off shore (china). Will be going back with a pump made in the good ole USA if possible.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2013, 10:03:13 AM by rick n kristi »
Natures Comfort 325G
Still 038 magnum

husky 555

• OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: 250
    • View Profile
Re: circulating pump
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2013, 10:16:01 AM »

I replaced my taco 13 pump with a taco 09 after about 4 years.  I like you, was noticing lots of noise with my pump until it finally failed.  I knew it had failed one because there was no heat in my house plus the "hum" of the running pump had stopped.  I don't know too much about the technical aspects of the pump, but the guy at my local plumbing store said the taco 13 may have been too big for the application I was using it for.  As for as the smaller pump I do not notice any difference with the heating of my home.  If this pump fails too early I will look into a different brand.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2013, 10:43:32 AM »

Yep, thats usually the first sign of a pump failure coming very soon.  Usually after they start to rattle its a matter of 1-2 weeks, I have seen them last longer, but i have seen them go in 1-2 days as well.

If I were you and was looking to replace the pump I would recccomend looking at gurndfos, they are the most copied pumps there is.  Also armstrong brand pumps, there a really good design as well.  Armstrong is pretty energy efficicient for how much water they move. 

Hope this helps
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

koutsman

• OWF Brand: Legend
  • OWF Model: 6180
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2013, 01:23:44 PM »

My B and G pump a PL 36 started chattering thursday morning. It"s seven years old so I priced around here and they wanted anywhere from $325 to $360. So I looked on E-bay and found it at free heat 4U for $190 plus free shipping, so I ordered it. Then my wife suggested I shut it off and turn it back on and I said I was afraid it might not start back up, so I tried it, shut it off for about ten seconds and then turned it back on and it came back on but still chattered, so I shut it back off and left it off for about a minute this time and turned it back on and it's been quite ever since. Now she thinks she's a plumber!!!!  Oh well I'm glad I ordered the new pump.   Am thinking maybe though I should of gotten a 3-speed but I was in a hurry when I ordered it!!!! 
Kouts, Indiana
Legend 6180 - Installed 11/09
STIHL Farm Boss 20"

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2013, 02:51:03 PM »

My B and G pump a PL 36 started chattering thursday morning. It"s seven years old so I priced around here and they wanted anywhere from $325 to $360. So I looked on E-bay and found it at free heat 4U for $190 plus free shipping, so I ordered it. Then my wife suggested I shut it off and turn it back on and I said I was afraid it might not start back up, so I tried it, shut it off for about ten seconds and then turned it back on and it came back on but still chattered, so I shut it back off and left it off for about a minute this time and turned it back on and it's been quite ever since. Now she thinks she's a plumber!!!!  Oh well I'm glad I ordered the new pump.   Am thinking maybe though I should of gotten a 3-speed but I was in a hurry when I ordered it!!!!

ebay has some good prices on parts sometimes but the problem ive had is if anything ever goes bad who do you turn to for the warranty.
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

koutsman

• OWF Brand: Legend
  • OWF Model: 6180
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2013, 04:19:31 PM »

They'll give me the full 3 year factory warranty, just like anyone that sells them would. I've delt with them before and haven't had any problems!!!

t
Kouts, Indiana
Legend 6180 - Installed 11/09
STIHL Farm Boss 20"