Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Inside Insulation  (Read 2631 times)

onezero1010101

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Legend
    • View Profile
Inside Insulation
« on: November 26, 2013, 05:41:46 AM »

I just fired my OWB up this past Saturday night, and have been enjoying the heat ever since.  But with the rush to get it up and going, I now have some finish work to do to finish the self install.  Pump and fan are hooked up via extension cord, so need to get the perm electric hooked up, wires ran thru conduit just need to finish plumbing them up.  But my main question is the inside insulation, do you guys insulate where you come into the house?  I have to insulate the lines coming up out of the ground and into my stove, that's a definite, but what about where it comes thru the wall in the basement then travels up to my water heater and to my heat exchanger?   It's doing great right now, but would I save some heat / wood if I wrap some insulation around the lines where possible?  I already have them secured to the floor joists in places, and have lots of 90's to go around, but would it be worth insulating them is my question.  Feedback?

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
Re: Inside Insulation
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2013, 06:28:49 AM »

I insulated mine with the black foam and some metal tape. I figure I might as well put the heat where it is needed and not just heating up a room that we do not use. Besides those pipes are really hot without the insulation they hurt when you lean against them by accident.

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2013, 07:49:31 AM »

I insulated mine with the black foam and some metal tape. I figure I might as well put the heat where it is needed and not just heating up a room that we do not use. Besides those pipes are really hot without the insulation they hurt when you lean against them by accident.

Another thing I learned is if you're sweating joints, remember which ones you just did.  If you grab the one just done, it is extremely hot and it makes you say bad words.  Don't ask me how I know...:) 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

onezero1010101

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2013, 08:54:19 AM »

Thanks all, guess its off to pick up some 3/4 insulation.  I really need a security light out there as well, might have to find an old one from work for that, light on my stove can only be on when the blower is switched off, nice concept but lacks in functionality, have to take a flashlight so I don't break my neck getting out there to turn the light on!

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2013, 10:07:37 AM »

Thanks all, guess its off to pick up some 3/4 insulation.  I really need a security light out there as well, might have to find an old one from work for that, light on my stove can only be on when the blower is switched off, nice concept but lacks in functionality, have to take a flashlight so I don't break my neck getting out there to turn the light on!

I found at Home Depot a 3 light LED light that clips to my cap visor.  When I'm in an area that's lacking light, simply turn it on.  It's amazing the amount of light one of those things give off.  It uses 2 "AAA" batteries.  I also use it when I'm replacing the brake pads on my car.  Plenty of hands free light. 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2013, 01:58:35 PM »

I found at Home Depot a 3 light LED light that clips to my cap visor.  When I'm in an area that's lacking light, simply turn it on.  It's amazing the amount of light one of those things give off.  It uses 2 "AAA" batteries.  I also use it when I'm replacing the brake pads on my car.  Plenty of hands free light.

I agree.  I just started using something similar to what you are talking about but mine just has a strap that goes around my head to hold it on.  It is great for looking into the firebox when there isn't a good fire going to see how much and where the wood is inside.  Also very handy when digging through the wood pile at night.
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

onezero1010101

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 02:53:44 PM »

Yea we have those headlamps at work, very handy, but having a light out there would be nice as well.  The lamps are so much nicer now that they are led though.

koutsman

• OWF Model: 6180
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2013, 10:02:17 PM »

onezero,    I have one of those headlamps also that I got at Bass Pro. I love that thing. Another thing you could do is run a wire from your fan switch to a light of somekind (I have a flourescent) Jerkash has a red light. That way you know when your unit is calling for heat. And maybe  go to Bed Bath and Beyond and get a Redi Chek Remote Meat thermometer and that will give you somewhat of an idea of what your water temp is from inside your house and you can tell from inside when your temp drops when you need to add wood.   These are just suggestions and I know you can get thermometers other places but that's where I got mine. :thumbup:
Kouts, Indiana
Legend 6180 - Installed 11/09
STIHL Farm Boss 20"

onezero1010101

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 07:04:10 AM »

With the meat thermometers, where do you locate the sensor at?  I've read of putting a light wired to the fan blower, which I think I will end up doing.  I'm going to get a security light put on a 4x4 by the stove as well just to light up the area.