Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: smoke roll out  (Read 7710 times)

joe a

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
smoke roll out
« on: January 25, 2011, 09:25:09 PM »

I'm new to this forum as a registered member, but I've been reading through the discussions for a few days.  I was wondering if any  of the other forum members have a successful way of combating smoke roll out.  I have a Central Boiler 6048, and this is my second season.  My only issue is how much smoke exhausts from the loading door during reloads.  I find it very difficult to load wood with so much smoke pouring out.  It's so bad I've considered a Fields Electric draft inducer on the stacks just to suck the smoke out when loading, but this is an expensive option, and I'm not sure how effective it would be on windy days.  Any help or suggestions anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated. 

Joe

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
Re: smoke roll out
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 11:22:43 AM »

I have a 3 year old 6048, but haven't noticed that as a big problem.  Yeah I get some smoke in my face sometimes but nothing where I feel the need to do something about it. 
What type of wood are you burning?

Rounds, split, dried, garbage, construction lumber, old stained flooring, pallets....?
Hudson, WI

NewToIt

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: XL (14,000 sq. ft.)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 12:24:54 PM »

Hi.  I think this happens on most all stoves.... even after you slide the rod out.  To combat this a little, I leave my door cracked about an inch or so, in order for it to draw a draft.  This will empty the fire box of a lot of the smoke (out the chimney, not the door).  And, if you leave it cracked long enough where the fire comes back to life a little, there will also be less smoke pouring out the door.
Not so "NewToIt" anymore..... up and running for 3 yrs. now!!

1grnlwn

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 12:26:24 PM »

Less of a load so there is not much left burning when you load?

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 12:46:27 PM »

My high temp cutoff is 180 and my cut in temp is 160.  I try to catch the boiler when the water temp is around 160-170, that way the fire has been idling for some time.  I open the outer door, which pulls the anti-roll out rod out and allows a little bit of natural draft.  I wait until the smoke coming out of the chimney changes, which is about 30-45 seconds, and then I open the firebox door.  I don't have any issues with smoke coming back in my face using this method.

joe a

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 12:49:03 PM »

Scratch

Currently, I'm burning mostly oak and ash, some poplar, cut last last spring.  This wood is split.  I sometimes augment this wood with some large round beech and poplar.  No garbage pallets.  The smoke really rolls out as I add "cold" wood, especially if the stove is on the way up from 175 to 185.  I have the taste of smoke on my tongue almost all the time, and I try to load just once a day.  I am surprised at the lack of attention to roll out on this forum.  I thought there might be some tricks to the game.  Maybe I'm too sensitive. 

joe a

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 01:08:33 PM »

Thanks everyone.  I think juddspaintballs might be on to the method I should try.  My damper opens at 175 and closes at 185 (standard from CB), and roll out is less when the fire is at its lowest.  Central Boiler makes a remote temperature kit, and if I can see the temperature going down inside my house, then I can just wait until its at 177 or 176 and then load up.  Attached is a photo of the Fields Electric draft inducer I'm considering, but this is an $800 unit.  You all can read about how a man in Pennsylvania modified his CB 6048 here:  http://www.woodheat.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=21&Itemid=102

Thanks again. 

[attachment deleted by admin for space issues]

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 02:22:00 PM »

save your money...as poster earlier suggested. crack the door open, wait 30 or 40 seconds, open door..load stove..nothing will wash away your old spice

letting the chimney pull a draft through teh partially opened door will empty the fire box of smoke just as the earlier poster says
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

m21221

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 05:28:03 PM »

I have a 6048 and agree with a previous poster...catch it after its been idle for at least half an hour and you won't have any smoke.  For me it's the luck of the draw and that's why I keep an old sweat shirt that I thrown on, my wife calls me a smoked sausage.  About the only permanent solution would be to install blower in the stack the you can turn on after you open the door which would provide a forced chimney draft.  The problem is magnified by the dropped heat baffle in these stoves.  You could crack the door for 5 minutes and it would not make a difference.  I have become very good at holding my breath and loading wood at the same time.  BTW, I'd still by this stove again.
CB 6048

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 05:39:11 PM »

maybe a used overhead kitchen exaust fan would be far cheaper than a 800 stack fan. i read somewhere here on teh site that a guy has used one with great success?
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2011, 05:55:52 PM »

I remember reading about the overhead range hood too.  I think it was used in an outbuilding.

oldchenowth

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2011, 12:46:15 PM »

My Wood Doctor blows back at me no matter what I do.  There is a timer switch that I turn on that starts the stack fan and opens the damper at the same time.  I still get a face full and smell like Grizzley Adams after my cabin burned to the ground. It doesn't matter which way the wind blows either, I still get the fresh taste of charcoal.  Small price to pay for NOT being on propane.

Rich

maine owb

• ASPEN 175 in Full Operation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2011, 05:28:56 PM »

A friend of mine has a set up that i will do next year. He built a shed over half his wood boiler and by the door is a large exhaust fan that he puts on when he opens the door.His wood is inside and he has lights and windows in the shed. The smoke stack is on the outside of the structure. Nice setup.

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2011, 06:01:45 PM »

my buddys is set up the same way.Shed with the boiler front just through the wall.He has an exhaust blower that sucks all the smoke out of the building.works pretty good.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV