Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Wood storage platform  (Read 4693 times)

jackel440

• View Profile
Wood storage platform
« on: September 26, 2011, 05:32:46 PM »

Ok the rain finally let up so I was able to get back behind the shop with the skidloader.I clear out a bunch of old skids and wood that was rotting and broken by the back fence row.Put down rows of cement blocks to hold up my solid skids I got from work last spring.They were used to ship in some gauge machines.I need to spray them down with oil to protect them better,but who knows if that will get done.Wife and my mom came out to see how it was going so I took a pic on my phone of my wife dancing around being silly. ;D
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Ridgekid

Re: Wood storage platform
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 06:08:44 PM »

I put my stack on old pallets this year. (Free ones) I figured it would help with the seasoning process.  :thumbup:

Firechaser

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 06:22:39 PM »

I use skid but the blocks are a great idea.
Tony
ML30
Husky 455

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 07:13:15 PM »

I use pallets for all my wood storage too.But I got these solid skids that the carpenter made at our plant when we sent out some machines to be retooled.They came back and they were going to put them in the dumpster.I saved them,and since my wood skids usually only last a couple years right on the ground I decided to block them up so hopefully they last longer :thumbup:
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 06:13:07 PM »

This year I built a 12x16 pole style canopy and I have a military M105 trailer to haul my wood home from my parents in.  I still need to get a 2nd trailer, but that's another story.  Anyways, in the trailer the wood will be off of the ground and under cover with my new canopy.  No wood mess left over on my ground either!  I should have used pallets last year, though.  All of the melting snow ran right under my tarp and got my wood wet. 

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 06:48:59 PM »

Well we got over a chord split and stacked so far.I just been working on it after work the last 3 nights for a few hours.I have about another cord of rounds cut up ready to split.Plus some of the wood i have been cutting I have been cutting for my nieghbor.He got bad with cancer and about died several times.He is like a dad to me so I am taking care of his stuff.He is also who I was helping log out the woods with.I hope by next spring he is back running the excavator and we can haul logs again.
Kids broke my camera so no pics for now unless i use my phone,but it's usually dead. :bash:
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 06:21:49 PM »

Well I finally got a chance to get a few pics tonight of what I got split and stacked.I imagine its over 2 cords but I haven't measured it yet.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

gearman

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CL-6048
  • Well done is better than well said
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 12:54:47 PM »

Built this 12x36 shed for my winters wood.  The rear wall height is 6', its 10' at the doors (4/12 pitch).  Doors are recycled metal roof, siding is cedar, milled with logosol basic mill and Jonsered 2172 ripping saw, refters also milled on site.  Only items purchased were 16', 4x4 posts for front of building (4 posts)and a few bags of quickcrete. Other posts were salvaged, as were roof boards (1x12 pine) (from neighbors 1950ish, tear down garage)
New Holland TC55DA, FEL
Farmi Skidding Winch
Husqvarna 51, 359
Jonsered 2065, 2072

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2012, 06:18:23 PM »

Thats a nice shed.I hope to have a shed type structure to store my wood in next year.I have a few plans laid out in what I would like to do.
New Holland LS170
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

WilliamLaurence

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2012, 07:31:21 PM »

I bought one of these from ChimneyHeaters.com . I installed and it works fine. Heats my 2000 square foot house. I have the pump connected to a UPS but I am not sure how long the pump will run if the electric goes out. I had it installed all winter and did not have to turn on my Electric heat once which saved me about 200 euro a month here in Romania.

The Electric is not stable here so I had to rush to take out the fire a couple of times because the water pump had stopped and the pressure valves were going off. The UPS will solve that but I dont know how long a UPS will keep my central pump going.  I will attach a pic of what chimney heaters are in case you are not familiar with them. The pump is a Grundfos and has three speeds.