Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: screw cone splitter  (Read 20628 times)

bruey

• View Profile
Re: screw cone splitter
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2011, 02:49:11 PM »

yes, it will fit but is the auger gear strong enough to work, i read where a guy tried it and the spliter would stop because there was not enough tork. that is what i am worried about, if i was for sure it would not bog down and stop i would get it tomorrow.
Newrichmond, Ohio

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2011, 06:33:13 AM »

yes, it will fit but is the auger gear strong enough to work, i read where a guy tried it and the spliter would stop because there was not enough tork. that is what i am worried about, if i was for sure it would not bog down and stop i would get it tomorrow.
If it turns a ground auger and doesn't bog down enough to stop, I doubt a log is going to stop it either. Factory hyd. augers are pretty good torgue monsters. If home built-who knows? I guess- some specifics on the auger would be help-ful.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2011, 12:15:41 PM »

I broke mine again today. The stickler mount is just way too flimsy. It was doing pretty good on short wood but long logs don't split very easy. I ran out of cut up wood (less than 3-4' long) and tried the long stuff again. I got one long one split but then kept trying a stubborn one.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2011, 12:35:34 PM »

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a new mounting plate and not have it wobble?
It has to be bolted on like in the picture so the plate can be bolted to the hub from inside. I think it could be flat though. I am not sure if the hub is steel or cast iron. If it is steel I will probably weld the adapter plate right on.
I am not going to buy a new one from Stickler. They are way too thin.

tulenutn2o

• OWF Brand: HeatSource1
  • OWF Model: Earth Energy 190
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 25, 2011, 06:49:53 PM »

Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a new mounting plate and not have it wobble?
It has to be bolted on like in the picture so the plate can be bolted to the hub from inside. I think it could be flat though. I am not sure if the hub is steel or cast iron. If it is steel I will probably weld the adapter plate right on.
I am not going to buy a new one from Stickler. They are way too thin.
I broke the mounting plate on my stickler within an hour  after putting it on my post hole digger last year. Called them up and explained that it was built too thin. Sent it ( mounting plate) back and they sent a new, reinforced one, free of charge. I would think, a good thick flat piece of steel used as a backing plate on the underside would work.

rosewood

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2011, 09:15:46 PM »

2 options..go to a machine shop with old one,and have them make i with heavier material. or if you can make it yourself,get a 1''shaft collet or what ever size dia hyd motor is. get 1/2""plate ,center collet on it and weld it on .install on motor ,turn on motor and spin, finding the center mark diameter of cone, trim excess steel ,clamp cone to plate and drill bolt pattern. save your money and will probably be stronger.

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2011, 09:20:37 PM »

I think the hydraulic motor is going bad. I can turn it in one direction. I am hoping that is why is was so weak.
I was using a wheel motor because it has better bearings than a regular hydraulic motor but I am not sure if it is strong enough.
I will probably find some good heavy bearing assembly to use and couple a regular hyd motor to it.
Pages: 1 2 [3]