Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Too Much Boiler?  (Read 8153 times)

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
Too Much Boiler?
« on: January 15, 2013, 08:06:23 AM »

First off, I just found this forum a few days ago, and this is an incredible resource.  Thank you all you knowledgeable contributors out there.  You are a huge asset!

I am in the early stages of getting set up with an OWB by next winter.  My question is this:  Is there such thing as too much boiler?  I live in Indiana.  Phase II requirements are in affect.  However, there is a provision that allows "conventional" OWB that generate 350,000 BTU's or more.  I have spoken with a Heatmaster dealer, and he quoted me the G200 as well as the MF10,000.  The MF is actually a bit cheaper than the G200.  I would prefer the lower maintenance that comes with the traditional and I like the idea of burning "anything." 

My home is approximately 3,000 SFT, broken into 3 parts, upstairs, main floor, and bonus room above the garage.  Each part has its own furnace.  They are all electric!!  (Thus, why I am looking at OWB's.)  I want to install a space heater in the garage.  I have a hot tub and a pool.  I don't want to heat the pool now, but might in the distant future.  I have 2 water heaters.  While it sounds like I have plenty to utilize the boiler, I'm concerned that the 10,000 is too much.  I've read about keeping a minimum temp to prevent deterioration to the boiler, and that is achieved by "using" the boiler. 

Thoughts?  Concerns?
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

Scott7m

• OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: Too Much Boiler?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 09:38:15 AM »

Don't worry about it, I'd much rather use the 10,000 than the g200. 

Because your heating less space doesn't mean your needing to run your boiler at a lower temp, set it as normal, 170-180. 

The stove could potentially idle longer being over sized, but with proper wood care and regular maintenance it won't be an issue. 
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 01:08:23 PM »

First off, I just found this forum a few days ago, and this is an incredible resource.  Thank you all you knowledgeable contributors out there.  You are a huge asset!

I am in the early stages of getting set up with an OWB by next winter.  My question is this:  Is there such thing as too much boiler?  I live in Indiana.  Phase II requirements are in affect.  However, there is a provision that allows "conventional" OWB that generate 350,000 BTU's or more.  I have spoken with a Heatmaster dealer, and he quoted me the G200 as well as the MF10,000.  The MF is actually a bit cheaper than the G200.  I would prefer the lower maintenance that comes with the traditional and I like the idea of burning "anything." 

My home is approximately 3,000 SFT, broken into 3 parts, upstairs, main floor, and bonus room above the garage.  Each part has its own furnace.  They are all electric!!  (Thus, why I am looking at OWB's.)  I want to install a space heater in the garage.  I have a hot tub and a pool.  I don't want to heat the pool now, but might in the distant future.  I have 2 water heaters.  While it sounds like I have plenty to utilize the boiler, I'm concerned that the 10,000 is too much.  I've read about keeping a minimum temp to prevent deterioration to the boiler, and that is achieved by "using" the boiler. 

Thoughts?  Concerns?
you have three electric furnaces now...add the max output of the btu on their name plates and make sure your new OWB is at least twice as big or bigger. ( i believe electric furnaces are near 90 percent or more efficient)
an OWB that is not phase 2 is likely only about 50 or 55 percent efficient maybe even go more than twice as big for future heating of any more square footage than your electric furnaces are heating now
just my two cents worth anyhow. i am sure there is more to come from others
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 02:11:39 PM »

The 10,000 is a big stove!!!!

Here is my wife sitting in the firebox lol

Climbing out!

Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Boydz

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 10,000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 03:12:54 PM »

Wait a minute - My 10K didnt come with that insert  :bash:
Oh well, I love it just the same, even though Id be running out to check it every 10 minutes if she was inside LOL :o
HeatMaster 10,000E

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 03:15:23 PM »

lol shewww

I can't get her to load my stove, any suggestions?
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2013, 03:49:13 PM »

now that you know she fits...perhaps she should sleep with one eye open >:D
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 07:55:55 AM »

I would go with the MF10,000 long before the G200. We sell the MF10,000 for $7,500 and the G200 for $8,900 and the MF10,000 is twice the stove. Thank the good folks at the EPA for that nonsense.
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2013, 09:29:42 AM »

I would go with the MF10,000 long before the G200. We sell the MF10,000 for $7,500 and the G200 for $8,900 and the MF10,000 is twice the stove. Thank the good folks at the EPA for that nonsense.

I figured you all were the only ones with standard 10,000's.
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2013, 09:32:34 AM »

They dealer I talked to out of Jasper Indiana has the Standard 10,000 vs. the 10,000E.
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2013, 09:33:58 AM »

They dealer I talked to out of Jasper Indiana has the Standard 10,000 vs. the 10,000E.

That's good...  I like the standard 10 much better, it's as simple as it can be compared to that g200
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Boydz

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 10,000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2013, 10:15:26 AM »

Scott,

Why do not like the E ? I really feel like this was a good improvment for capturing more heat ? I do however wish it was backward so the first bypass was at the rear drawing smoke away from the door area.
HeatMaster 10,000E

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2013, 11:00:11 AM »

If my CB e-classic 1400 had an insert like that I'd never close the door!  :-X
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 02:03:34 PM »

Scott,

Why do not like the E ? I really feel like this was a good improvment for capturing more heat ? I do however wish it was backward so the first bypass was at the rear drawing smoke away from the door area.

I do like the e, but when comparing it to the current g200, I'd much rather have the standard 10 or the e. 

The only thing I don't like about the e series is that tube set up on the back that caused problems, and from a dealer perspective, they are more problematic.  Let me explain...

When I sold my e series stoves, folks wanted them for the added efficiency, but then I come back and say hey I'm taking some of that away because it's a fire hazard, so I plug the top draft.  Folks didn't like that understandably. Then, as far as ease of use, you won't beleive how many people buy them and call back 3 months later and want a service call simply because they won't clean the top by pass of the stove out.  I have done 3 in the last couple months, just show up, run the tool through the top passes a few times, do a general cleaning. For most customers a couple pieces of wood per day is less important to them than cleaning out the top by pass once every couple weeks, it takes what?  3 minutes?   Sad but true

As of right now I'm wanting to burn a MF3000E next year at my home, im debating on a few things, perhaps installing logstor pipe, and teaming it up with a grundfos alpha pump, it only pulls 40watts.
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

kybaseball

• OWF Model: MF10000E
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2013, 05:43:46 PM »

I have the 10000E model and love it. Really have learned how to use the wood in it very well. It works best if not stuffed full. Keep a good bed of cools and I put around 5pcs of wood in it twice a day. We cut wood at 25 inches long and it works great at that size. If done right you will only have to empty your ash pan about ever 3 weeks. As far as the E model having that 2nd bypass and keeping it clean no big deal takes 10 minutes at the max. I do mine the same time I dump the ash pan. I did plug the whole for the 2nd airflow but Heatmaster sent me a kit to get it back. Just haven't taken the time to put it in yet. Hope you get it going and save a bunch of money and trust me it is a lot of money.
Pages: [1] 2