Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Where to buy Temp Gauges  (Read 4059 times)

Boydz

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 10,000E
    • View Profile
Where to buy Temp Gauges
« on: February 13, 2013, 11:18:05 AM »

Can someone please point me to where I can get the fittings, gauges, and wells for setting up supply and return termperature gauges on 1" Pex ?

I really want to see and monitor what i have going on and my IR gun doesnt seems to be reliable as its constantly changing as I move it around.

Maybe something like a 1"x1"x3/4" Tee and then add the temp well and guage ? I have some Pasco stuff now on my raidant heat setup I really like but that came as a kit. i know i came accross a post with some of this info but I cant find it.
Some inital searching seems very expensive and i know its gotta be cheaper if the tee was all one unit.

Ryan
HeatMaster 10,000E

BoilerHouse

• OWF Brand: Home Built
  • OWF Model: Fire Tube/Water Tube
    • View Profile
Re: Where to buy Temp Gauges
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 06:27:10 PM »

I use a thermometer in which the sensing probe and male pipe thread are part of the unit.  No need to have a well.  The range is 0 to 250 deg F.  You can probably get one similar to the link below through McMaster Carr. 

http://www.ashcroft.com/products/thermometers/bimetal/EL-Series.cfm
Muskoka, Ont

netwerx-r-us

• OWF Brand: Tennessee Outdoor Furnace
  • OWF Model: Hoss 400HE
    • View Profile
    • Netwerx-R-Us
Netwerx-R-Us
http://netwerx-r-us.com
Kubota 3430 W loader and backhoe
Echo 440
Honda Rancher 400
Kubota ZD326

dwneast77

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler; Wood Doctor
  • OWF Model: E-Classic 2300; HE10000
    • View Profile
    • HeatherWood Gardens
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2013, 07:48:21 PM »

I use temp guages from Central Boiler.  Like the one BoilerHouse recommended.  Threaded with probe, 1/8" thread.  Just use a Tee and a bushing if needed to size it right.  I haven't had one fail yet after 5 years.  My dealer only charged me $8.80 ea. for the last ones I got. 

http://www.centralboiler.com/parts.html

Click on the Central Boiler Parts and Accessories Catalog link

page 16 of the catalog.

They also have a digital one with 75' wire for remote monitoring, around $65 if I remember correctly.  I'd like to get a couple of them, just havne't made it into the budget yet.
Eastern Maine (near Calais)
Central Boiler E-2300
Wood Doctor HE10000
Stihl 290 Farmboss
Craftsman 27 ton Splitter
JD 870 Tractor

Jack72

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2013, 03:01:57 AM »

Boydz

If you want it quick and don't want to order through Internet.     Menards has a good. Supply of pex fittings and gauges in there heating section.
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

Boydz

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 07:53:34 AM »

Great suggestions everyone - Thank you :)

Ive got a Menards close by and a Buddy who works at McMaster Car I forgot about. He could probably get me them at cost Ill bet.

I do like the liquid filled guages !!

I wonder if they make a barbed Tee for Pex with 3/4" inlet on the tee part ? Would save on fittings and such, which seems to be where the real cost is.
HeatMaster 10,000E

Jack72

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 11:24:38 AM »

Great suggestions everyone - Thank you :)

Ive got a Menards close by and a Buddy who works at McMaster Car I forgot about. He could probably get me them at cost Ill bet.

I do like the liquid filled guages !!

I wonder if they make a barbed Tee for Pex with 3/4" inlet on the tee part ? Would save on fittings and such, which seems to be where the real cost is.

They don't                   coming off the bowl of the tee which is the middle port which you are refering to.     so what I did is buy 1/2 pex x female npt pipe thread

make sure if you need a bushing  if your gauge is smaller but should be 1/2"  that you buy brass so you dont have metal differences and have corrosion issues over time.

The guage is the most expensive I think 20 bucks or less        and your fittings plus clamps  you would actually need  should be less than 20 bucks also

you can lay it all out in store and make sure its correct in your head before you purchase so its right take it right out of the box and actually connect all together so you dont miss something by accident            hope this helps       Jack 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 11:27:06 AM by Jack72 »
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile

Jack72

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 05:26:54 PM »

I used these http://www.pexsupply.com/Cash-Acme-22775-Sharkbite-Temperature-Gauge-with-1-Tee

Victor
  I was wrong I didn't know they made that fitting that's nice and simple.

Sounds like he wants the barbed type  I don't think they make one like that in the barbed fitting type.  I could be wrong though
Jack
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009

Boydz

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 11:39:47 PM »

Thanks Jack, I think I'll price this out and see which way is cheaper. I actually came across the ones Victor posted and thought for sure I could do it cheaper  :bash: maybe not haha !!
I do think i still wan tthe fitting with the barbs though. Maybe it doesnt matter. I just keep hearing how the sharkbite fittings leak once things cool down.

Thanks for the Link Victor :)

-Ryan
HeatMaster 10,000E

victor6deep

• OWF Brand: Burnrite
  • OWF Model: 228
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2013, 04:31:08 AM »

Thanks Jack, I think I'll price this out and see which way is cheaper. I actually came across the ones Victor posted and thought for sure I could do it cheaper  :bash: maybe not haha !!
I do think i still wan tthe fitting with the barbs though. Maybe it doesnt matter. I just keep hearing how the sharkbite fittings leak once things cool down.

Thanks for the Link Victor :)

-Ryan

We haven't had a sharkbite brand fitting leak yet. According to my plumber buddy he said there is a copycat sharkbite fitting out there and yes thos will leak and blow off. He used a el cheapo copycat fitting on a 3rd floor hottub and ask him what the call was about at 3am.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2013, 07:31:36 AM »

I've not seen a shark biter gator bite leak, but there are many knock offs that aren't as good
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697