Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Pump seems HOT  (Read 1980 times)

oldchenowth

Pump seems HOT
« on: July 27, 2011, 05:47:34 PM »

I never noticed until the other day but my pump seems really hot.  I have a Bell 3 speed and I recently did some repairs and started the pump back up and it is very hot to the touch.  No fire in the box but the housing (cast) and motor cover are hot.  No noise like a bad bearing/bushing.  Sounds like water is flowing thru the pump and pipe.  Just wondering if I am looking at a new one or if this is normal.?

Help me out vets, have not been thru an entire year yet, so still learning. 

How would I check how good flow is w/o emptying the tank - again?

Thanks guys,

Rich

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Pump seems HOT
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2011, 11:56:24 AM »

The water is cold? It may be air locked.
Do you have any valves near the pump?

oldchenowth

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2011, 07:42:58 PM »

water is definitely cold.  I do have valves either side of pump, up side has a fill valve there that I did burp (or so I thought).  I had this problem (air) when I initially filled it last year and pump was noticeably loud with a bubble in it.  Not sure if it may be air locked somewhere else in the line.  Not sure how to find it or how to rectify the problem.  Fill valve is at high point except where it goes back into stove.  Even filled at the pump at the pump to try and avoid this problem.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2011, 08:38:53 PM »

If you close and open the valve fast on the suction side of the pump does it make a churning noise?

oldchenowth

« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 05:49:54 PM »

No churning noise when upstream side is quickly open and closed or for longer period of time.  Same sound, nice steady and quiet. Baffles me,  but lately that aint too hard.