Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Basement heating-radiant or water to air exchanger?  (Read 1178 times)

Ryan

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
Basement heating-radiant or water to air exchanger?
« on: December 28, 2014, 03:00:04 PM »

Hello everyone. I have a 2000 sq ft basement and it currently has in floor heat it seems the circ never shuts off and it really never gets overly warm down there. I have been thinking about putting in a water to air heat exchanger and just plumbing into the return line back to wood boiler. I would then run some duct work through the drop ceiling. I am just looking to heat the basement when we have a get together or when kids are playing down there. I would hope it would also burn less wood this way also, any thoughts?

juddspaintballs

• View Profile
Re: Basement heating-radiant or water to air exchanger?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 05:30:59 PM »

Sounds like your slab might not be insulated (very well).  If you're only after occasional heating down there, ductwork with a heat exchanger will heat up the place quickly and you can leave it off if you're not going to be down there.  Do you have AC in the basement? 

Have you measured temps of the water going in and out of your in-floor loops yet?  How fast is it moving through, how big are the loops, etc.  It might be a temperature/flow issue that can be easily corrected.