Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: 1in or 1-1/4in plumbing?  (Read 4708 times)

U.P. Doug

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
  • Rudyard, Michigan Upper Penninsula
    • View Profile
Re: 1in or 1-1/4in plumbing?
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2015, 05:16:53 PM »

I installed the larger logstor for the same reason as you did juddspaintballs. I did insulate my copper runs in the basement with some pretty nice insulation I found at Lowes. I believe they are 8 foot long foam sleeves that go over the copper and seal with tape that is exposed once you pull off the plastic shield. They have three levels of insulation. I figured it was a one time thing so I sprung for the best ones they had.

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2015, 06:39:09 PM »

I went with the 1-1/4" equivalent Logstor in the ground.  I have reduced to 1" PEX in the house.  The reason I did 1-1/4" in the ground is for future expansion, including running heat to my detached garage.  For now, 1" in ground lines would have been plenty for me, but I wanted to never have to touch my ground lines again. 

I like idea of 1" copper in the house.  I may do that at some point when I rearrange my basement.  I've gotten pretty good at sweating copper now.  The only downside to doing all copper inside is that if you have a longer run in the house, you're going to leech heat into your basement or house at a much higher rate than PEX will unless you insulate it all.  Sometimes having the extra heat in your basement radiating from the pipes is a good thing, but sometimes it's not good for temperature control in the house either.

I’m going to start redoing my plumbing, primary loop will be insulated, secondaries won’t be to get a little extra heat in the basement.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2016, 10:22:56 AM »

The only downside to doing all copper inside is that if you have a longer run in the house, you're going to leech heat into your basement or house at a much higher rate than PEX will unless you insulate it all.  Sometimes having the extra heat in your basement radiating from the pipes is a good thing, but sometimes it's not good for temperature control in the house either.

Good point, I’m taking a page from the gospel of Slimjim and all my heat exchangers will be on secondary loops, the primary loop will get insulated. If the basement isn’t warm enough I can either cut a duct and add a register to it or I’ve even though of installing ultra fin under the bathroom floor and leaving it open to get heat into the basement as well.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana
Pages: 1 [2]