Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: States not enforcing the federal EPA OWB rules???  (Read 3841 times)

JTS717

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
  • East-Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
States not enforcing the federal EPA OWB rules???
« on: November 25, 2016, 01:03:04 PM »

I was recently talking with a factory that is actively selling non EPA certified wood boilers.  He initially said the law hasn't gone into effect yet.  Then I said I thought it went into effect Jan 1, 2016 to which he responded that it hasn't in our state (WI).  He continued to say that WI, Michignan, Illinois and a few others weren't enforcing the EPA law.  It seems kind of fishy to me so I thought I would try to seek the truth from some of you informed members.  Are there some states where they are able to sell non EPA boilers?

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
Re: States not enforcing the federal EPA OWB rules???
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2016, 04:25:43 PM »

Basically the state employees aren’t enforcing the law. Doesn’t mean its not in effect or doesn’t apply. Sooner or later the feds will withhold fed money to the states not enforcing the law, what happens to the people who installed non compliant stoves then is anybodies guess. I would not want to be the guy they make an example out of.

We have a guy in the area still building stoves in his garage, tells people since its “home made” his stoves are exempt, home made only applies to your own use, once you charge for em you are now a small manufacturer.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2016, 04:27:35 PM by mlappin »
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

intensedrive

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 6000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2016, 08:37:23 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong but the feds can go after any boiler maker that doesn't adhere to the new rules.  The state may not choose to enforce the law, kind of like the marijuana law state by state.  In the fed eyes your still operating in non compliance.  Just a matter of time when they compile their list, and I'm sure they already have.  They will impose huge fines on these companies and drive them out of business.   One big swoop its all over.  I'm not saying I agree with this,  but the owners still operating under these false pretenses that everything will be ok, not going to happen, they know they are playing with fire.. Quite literally in all aspects of their business..

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2016, 09:04:53 PM »

well for some reason commercial is able to buy the old style boiler..why that is i don't know..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Jared43758

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: C250
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 03:20:46 PM »

Basically the state employees aren’t enforcing the law. Doesn’t mean its not in effect or doesn’t apply. Sooner or later the feds will withhold fed money to the states not enforcing the law, what happens to the people who installed non compliant stoves then is anybodies guess. I would not want to be the guy they make an example out of.

We have a guy in the area still building stoves in his garage, tells people since its “home made” his stoves are exempt, home made only applies to your own use, once you charge for em you are now a small manufacturer.

The Feds won't even withhold money to sanctuary cities who break federal immigration laws, (which may change with president trump)   Fed is not going to do nothing with trump in.   EPA is toast and so is there crap rules
Stihl MS290
Stihl MS660 Magnum
Husky 21 ton splitter

Southeast Ohio

Jared43758

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2016, 03:23:57 PM »

If Feds where going to go after anyone it would be business. Don't have time to fool with  individuals.     But like I said.  EPA is toast.
Stihl MS290
Stihl MS660 Magnum
Husky 21 ton splitter

Southeast Ohio

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2016, 04:50:08 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong but the feds can go after any boiler maker that doesn't adhere to the new rules.  The state may not choose to enforce the law, kind of like the marijuana law state by state.  In the fed eyes your still operating in non compliance.  Just a matter of time when they compile their list, and I'm sure they already have.  They will impose huge fines on these companies and drive them out of business.   One big swoop its all over.  I'm not saying I agree with this,  but the owners still operating under these false pretenses that everything will be ok, not going to happen, they know they are playing with fire.. Quite literally in all aspects of their business..

If somebody buys a non compliant stove and installs it themselves, the manufacturer can hardly be held responsible. To do so would give credence to the loony lefts attempts to hold gun manufacturers responsible for how their product is used.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

shepherd boy

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: C375
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2016, 07:50:42 PM »

Like any rule or law, how it is enforced sets the standard. A 55mph speed limit means very little if nobody gets a ticket till you run 70. So far there has been no enforcement of epa's rule by epa, so it's anybody's guess. I just would hate to be the one they might use to set the standard if they chose to do so.
Let the youngin's have it
 Gettin' old and lazy
 Lookin' for the next good fishing hole

mlappin

• Global Moderator
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2016, 07:53:01 PM »

:post:
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120

Jared43758

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 12:57:56 PM »

If somebody buys a non compliant stove and installs it themselves, the manufacturer can hardly be held responsible. To do so would give credence to the loony lefts attempts to hold gun manufacturers responsible for how their product is used.

Well I obviously didn't mean a manufacture be in trouble for the customer misusing the product.  Like someone selling a coal stove and someone burning wood when there not suppose to. BUT like I said if a manufacture is selling a illegal product then they can be In trouble.  But some people like to mix up words. 
You sell a hammer, someone kills someone with it,  not your problem.
You sell a illegal M249 SAW, and someone mows someone with it, both are going to jail cause the SAW is illegal to sell(without the right steps). (Don't get this wrong, people should be able to buy suppressors full autos or anything, cause u can now if you got the money and pay the tax stamp, just separating the rich from the poor)
Stihl MS290
Stihl MS660 Magnum
Husky 21 ton splitter

Southeast Ohio

userdk

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 400
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnaces - Pineview Woodstoves
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 05:14:10 PM »

Unfortunately there's a small number of dealers using public confusion/disagreement about the regulations to take advantage of consumers. Just today we heard from a woman who had been told she couldn't purchase a used unit( had to purchase a new unit) because the used boiler didn't meet EPA standards. Another local dealer is telling customers that if their land is zoned agricultural the law doesn't apply and they can hook non-epa boilers to a house. I've said it before and I'll say it again. No dealer or manufacturer with any respect for their customers ought to be selling people OWBs that could be confiscated if EPA goes on a vengeance spree. Also no manufacturer with any amount of respect for their dealers and their future in the OWB industry should be recommending going around the law.

Jared43758

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2016, 02:33:42 AM »

:post:
Unfortunately there's a small number of dealers using public confusion/disagreement about the regulations to take advantage of consumers. Just today we heard from a woman who had been told she couldn't purchase a used unit( had to purchase a new unit) because the used boiler didn't meet EPA standards. Another local dealer is telling customers that if their land is zoned agricultural the law doesn't apply and they can hook non-epa boilers to a house. I've said it before and I'll say it again. No dealer or manufacturer with any respect for their customers ought to be selling people OWBs that could be confiscated if EPA goes on a vengeance spree. Also no manufacturer with any amount of respect for their dealers and their future in the OWB industry should be recommending going around the law.
Stihl MS290
Stihl MS660 Magnum
Husky 21 ton splitter

Southeast Ohio