Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Burn times  (Read 4195 times)

neal8809

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: G200
    • View Profile
Burn times
« on: January 30, 2017, 09:49:05 AM »

So new G200 and am curious on what others do. I check my boiler every 12-14hrs and very rarely is it out of wood. does it hurt to fill it with more wood to get longer than a 12 hr burn time? i bet i can get close to 24hrs if i fill the fire box right up almost 3/4 full? i dont mind doing every 12-14hrs since i like spending quality time with this sexy unit anyways. i just know that central boiler recommended 12hr burn times due to letting the firebox dry out.

slimjim

• OWF Brand: Wood Doctor / HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: 14,000. / G 200 and G 400
  • Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
Re: Burn times
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2017, 10:06:01 AM »

Funny you call it sexy Neal, I had this discussion with the office last spring when they said they wanted to go back to the orange and black colors, I feel the bluuuuck green is very sexy, how about you? :-*
Wood boiler sales, service and installation for the Northeastern USA.

hoardac

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster G-200
  • OWF Model: Formerly Wooddoctor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2017, 10:34:04 AM »

I am not sure about sexy but it is the middle of winter so maybe. I think the colors are just right blends into the green tarps covering the wood around it perfectly. We got it down to 12 hours then refill. It seems to have less wet creosote stuff around the door opening than when we had the longer burn times the first week or so. If I stuff the firebox I can easily get a day out of it.  But everything I read people said shoot for 12 hours so that what we have been doing. Me and the wife take turns loading it, we tell each other whether it needed a few more logs or a few less that way we can get it just about perfect.

neal8809

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2017, 11:38:53 AM »

Funny you call it sexy Neal, I had this discussion with the office last spring when they said they wanted to go back to the orange and black colors, I feel the bluuuuck green is very sexy, how about you? :-*

i like the grey and black how mine is!

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2017, 02:55:01 PM »

I think the color scheme is good. As far as burn times I have found that I think it burns most efficiently with 12 hour burn times. I don't hae anything scientific to back that up other than I think that with a cycling boiler, to dry is an issue. If this was a batch burning boiler I think 15-20% content would be ideal to keep the burn at a consistent rate without off gassing so quick you end up not capturing all th btus because they go up so quick. With a cycling boiler the wood ontop of the pile is drying out in the 180 plus degree temps of the firebox. With 24 hour load times the wood ontop of the pile gets tinder dry by the time it makes it down to the coal bed causing it to gas off really quick this losing heat up the chimney. That is my theory anyway.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2017, 04:29:41 PM »

And I'm sticking to it!!

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2017, 04:47:35 PM »

i like the grey and black how mine is!

I’ve had numerous people comment what a sharp looking unit the G series are, I personally like the current colors myself.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

BIG AL

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster SS
  • OWF Model: G 200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2017, 05:35:55 PM »

I'm happy with the grey/ green color scheme. As far as burn time I guess i'm with everybody else 12-14 hours seems to work good and the wood is burned pretty regularly. Sometimes there is more sometimes less I just try and bring it back to the level where I started. No matter what I always push everything down tight first because I have bridged it a couple times. If it is only coals I flatten it out so it is even.
SE Mass
Husqvarna 55 , 455 , 372xp , Stihl MS 250
Farmall 460 Diesel , Case VAH with hi-clearance wood trailer, Ford 655 4x4 , Ford 445 loader, Farmall A with custom built logsplitter with own power unit and hoist.

aarmga

• OWF Brand: Nature's Comfort
  • OWF Model: NCB-250
  • Central Wisconsin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2017, 05:37:01 PM »

I don't own one... yet but I also love the colors.  I mean this is a mans machine, orange and stuff seems more like a sports bike color.  The g series looks daaaaamn good, especially for a gasser.  I like the looks better than some of the other gasser stoves like polar and P&M, to me they look like something a spacecraft dropped off lol. 
Stihl 211 - 16"
Remington Rodeo Pro - 20"
Stihl 661r magnum - 36"
SpeeCo 22 Ton Honda splitter
JD 1025r with FEL
Natures Comfort NCB 250 custom added overhead air injection

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2017, 06:00:58 PM »

Neighbor stopped today and said the 200 was a good looking boiler, asked me why I wasn't using it, it was running full tilt with just a heat signature.

Burn times I try and get 12 hours, load for 12 sometimes get 16 to 18
Western Maine

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2017, 08:49:16 PM »

Neighbor stopped today and said the 200 was a good looking boiler, asked me why I wasn't using it, it was running full tilt with just a heat signature.

Funny I had somebody ask the same. We went to a spaghetti supper the SAL had in the next town over. Good supper, bought a drawing ticket for his and hers S&W Shields.

Anyways, got back the VFW and had 8 or 10 of us sitting around one of the big tables enjoying our preferred adult beverage and had a guy ask me when I was going to restart my boiler. It was 61 degrees on January 21st. He let his go out, he’s repairing a basement down the road from us and has been by the farm half a dozen times or better in the last week, said he hasn’t seen any smoke so he thought it was out. Told him it’s burned constant since October.

Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Jared43758

• OWF Model: C250
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2017, 01:37:32 PM »

😴😴💤💤D

Funny I had somebody ask the same. We went to a spaghetti supper the SAL had in the next town over. Good supper, bought a drawing ticket for his and hers S&W Shields.

Anyways, got back the VFW and had 8 or 10 of us sitting around one of the big tables enjoying our preferred adult beverage and had a guy ask me when I was going to restart my boiler. It was 61 degrees on January 21st. He let his go out, he’s repairing a basement down the road from us and has been by the farm half a dozen times or better in the last week, said he hasn’t seen any smoke so he thought it was out. Told him it’s burned constant since October.
Stihl MS290
Stihl MS660 Magnum
Husky 21 ton splitter

Southeast Ohio

neal8809

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2017, 04:47:47 AM »

So maybe its when i fill mine but i notice since i just shoveled some ashes out of my fire box last week since it was built up to the bottom of the stainless panels it has been maybe a full week and it looks like i have to do it again. Is this normal or am i not letting it burn down enough before reloading? as far as the gassification chamber i have had to remove nothing and we are going on 3 weeks pof in service this friday.

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2017, 05:59:08 AM »

The ashes should build up to the level of the bottom of the panels and then won't get higher. They will end up falling down below. I don't pull any out of the upper chamber all season. I remove ash down below every cord and get about 4 gallons of ash or so.

slimjim

• Southern Maine
    • View Profile
    • www.mainlycustom.com
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2017, 05:59:32 AM »

Let her burn down a bit more now Neal