Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: water treatment to curb corrosion  (Read 3141 times)

oldchenowth

water treatment to curb corrosion
« on: April 21, 2011, 09:42:56 PM »

I just found a leak in my plumbing.  Thank God it is at the end of the season.  I found it at the shark bite fitting near my pump, before my shutoff valve.  Had to drain the water.  What is the best anti corrosion additive on the market to put back in when I fix the leak and refill?  I am running boiler plate not stainless.  I originally put the stuff in I got from Wood Doctor with the stove, just want to know if there is a better option I should look into.  Other posts say don't leave it empty for the summer, that will make more rust.  Made sense to me to put chemicals in it to minimize corrosion from condensation.  Just hoping you vets can help out a pup. 

OK, now you can blast me for using shark bites.  But give me a better a alternative to go from copper to pex. Pex in and out, copper at the pump fittings.  Aint affraid to get some new tools, but I want to get it right the second time.

Bull

• OWF Brand: Hardy
  • OWF Model: Rebuilt H2
    • View Profile
Re: water treatment to curb corrosion
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2011, 08:21:19 AM »

I used shark bite fittings on both of my heat exchangers with no problems.
Southern Indiana
Just outside of the "Small Town"

mikenc

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 10:25:10 AM »

They make a sweat adapter to go from copper to pex.  Solder to copper use crimp ring on pex. You can get them that slide over pipe or slide into copper fitting. I used those because they are cheaper than shark bite fittings.

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 11:50:10 AM »

You don't have any valves at the boiler?
I would assume that any brand boiler treatment is similar. The manufacturers are going to go with the best they can find because they are warrantying the boiler and the customer is paying for the treatment. (no reason to use anything inferior)
Nature's Comfort treatment is about $20 to treat 200 gallons. I don't how the price of other brands compare.

If you can solder I would go with crimp fittings and cinch clamps. The tool is cheaper and no special tool is needed to remove them.
Don't get the cheap clamps off ebay though. Pex needs to be clamped to a precise diameter evenly and the chinese knockoffs on ebay aren't even made right. I bought a bag of them and sent them back.

yoderheating

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 04:04:03 PM »

I would be sure to use whatever water treatment the manufacture recommends. I know Heat Master has had a treatment made especially to fit the design and building materials of the furnace. What ever you do, make sure you treat the water properly. 
Southwest Virginia
WF4000 Heat Master