Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: where or how are you getting your wood?  (Read 4150 times)

jackel440

• View Profile
where or how are you getting your wood?
« on: March 19, 2009, 07:10:04 PM »

I was interested in seeing how you guys are getting your wood for each heating season.Are you going out and felling trees,buying it,(logs or cut to length)
Do you have people just giving it to you?Or do you go out and try to drum up timber were ever you can find it?
I will be helping my nieghbor who does excavating work removing tree lines.I will also be getting some here and there.I imagine I will get some trees from other friends here and there.
I thought about calling a tree cutter to see what they have or if they sell what they cut.I don't think I will need to do that yet,but i suppose they will have wood.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
Re: where or how are you getting your wood?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 01:23:52 PM »

I have a small local tree removal service that drops off stuff for my brother and I.  ( he lives next door and also has an OWB) We also have a cabinet shop close by that loads our trailer with scrap trimmings whenever we need them. 

We each live on a 10 acre wooded lot and do our share of cutting wood too.
Hudson, WI

R W Ohio

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 04:01:55 PM »

The place where I use to work has a woods that they are going to clear for expansion.That is where I have cut all of my wood for the past two years,and it looks like I will have another five or six years to go.
R W Ohio
Canal Fulton,Oh.
Hawken Energy GH1000 Installed 8/10/06

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 07:10:35 PM »

There's about 250ish acres on the 3 connected farms we call home.  All 3 have some woods from which we cut the dead trees.  There's a fair ammount of dead elm.  I also take wood (mostly pine) from friends who have had trees dropped from around their houses.  Then I found the tree cutter as described in my Holy Grail thread.  If I were you I would not ask to buy wood from tree cutters.  Even if they sell their best trees for firewood they should have a lot of pine and other second rate wood that is a scrap product produced by their business that they are responsible for disposing of.  they may either pay you to take it, allow you to take it for free, or drop it off at your place.  There's plenty of free wood out there; finding it is part of the fun!
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

jackel440

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 07:05:57 AM »

Sounds like alot of you guys have property with woods on it.Wish I had more land like that.I will be trying to get my wood through my nieghbor like i said who does excavation work.He has a fence row to do in another week or so now.

I am glad you guys said not to try and buy wood from the tree cutters.I never thought to see if they had wood they would not really want to sell but just get rid of.I will have to look into that later when i get some other things taken care of.
LPK-440 wood gasification furnace
New Holland LS170
24' Titan deckover gooseneck
96' Dodge Ram 2500 V10 4x4
Stihl 025
Stihl 038 Magnum
Stihl 041 AV

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 09:30:06 AM »

Speaking of the tree cutter service, I was grinding a load of feed this morning with a neighbor who buys ear corn from us, and not 3 (like last week) but 4 dump trucks full of pine logs went rolling past the barn.  I'm going to try and get some pics posted this weekend of this woodpile that is forming.  When it falls out of the trucks, it's like I literally have fire wood falling from the sky.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2009, 08:31:54 PM »

the tree service does work, but call as many in your area as you can, they will only dump at your location if you are the closest and you have room so its not hard for them to back their truck in.  most get so much they gave up cutting and spliting years ago, too much work when they have to pay an employee to do it, i would also contact the cities around you, i live in the country but they are close enough to get wood from if i wanted to,  i lot of the time they have piles and cant get rid of it.  ask
Newrichmond, Ohio

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 07:42:17 PM »

I have no idea if I'm the only place this guy dumps wood or not, and I know for a fact that his employees split ad sell the hardwood they bring in, so better than 90% of what I get is green pine.  It's been sitting long enough now that I'm going to start into the first stuff that they dumped here in the next week or so.  I have some old half rotten stuff I've been using before it really gets cold.  I don't know nor do I care if I'm his only dumping ground for pine because he brings me plenty to keep me rolling.  The workers who drop the stuff off act like they can't believe I want it and like they'd otherwise have no idea what to do with the stuff.  So far, so good.  :)
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

bruey

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2009, 07:05:57 PM »

was just looking on craigs list under farm equipment and saw a post  "need fire wood will cut and clear any areas you have and leave it looking clean.  he put the area he lived .  sent him an email and asked if he got any replys , says more than he could cut in 10 years.  you could give this a try, its all free to do.
Newrichmond, Ohio