Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: More Rookie Questions  (Read 3226 times)

RJ1968

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Shaver
  • OWF Model: Not Sure of Model #, it is a front loader with ash door
    • View Profile
More Rookie Questions
« on: February 27, 2014, 03:26:58 PM »

At the risk of sounding like a complete idiot, i throw myself at the mercy of this forum.  I have called & left several messages with Weld Rite, but no reply.  1st year with inherited Shaver 165 & having heating issues (house wont get above 65 degrees)

1.  Does it matter where you build your fire, on the grates or off the grates in the back of the box?
2.  I thought the way the furnace was supposed to work was once a fire is built it will stay burning hot while the blower is running.  I cleaned the fire box out completely, started a new fire, fire gets really hot with doors open, but when i close the doors & turn on blower the fire seems to almost go out after a few minutes, becomes real smokey with no flames.  I open the doors & the fire takes off again.
3.  The plate on the back of the furnace is not sealed, i can lift it off, i have felt the water by hand & it is luke warm at best.  Should i seal this plate?

Any help is greatly appreciated

Thanks!

hondaracer2oo4

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster. Past Hardy
  • OWF Model: G200. Past H4
    • View Profile
Re: More Rookie Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2014, 05:29:04 PM »

Welcome, We should be able to square you away quickly. The way the stove works is that when the aquastat calls for heat(water below set point) it will turn on the fan. The fan blows air through a pipe which exits under the grates in the back of the stove. If you open the ash door and look to the back you will see the pipe. You need to first clean out the ashes in the bottom and ensure that this pipe is not blocked up for some reason. After you ensure that air is blowing from the pipe you need to make sure that the grates between the ash bin below and the firebox above is not plugged. If air can not flow through these grates then it can not fan the fire. After that the hot gasses and smoke make there way out of the chimney. You need to get up on top of the unit and look down the flue to ensure that it is not blocked with creosote. One of these items is your problem. You will find it pretty quick. Let us know how you make out.

EDIT: didnt realize you had started the previous thread. Looks like you are still having problems. Did you clean all of the ashes from your grate to ensure that the air can flow from the bottom through the fire?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 05:32:28 PM by hondaracer2oo4 »

RJ1968

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2014, 06:02:56 PM »

Yea, i did all the things you mentioned & was still having the same problem.  I think it might be the wood i am using, i am wood the previous owner left & several of the pieces are waterlogged (i think).  When i use some drier pieces(far & few at this point) the furnace seems to work much better..  Thanks for the advice, will keep you posted. 

One more thing i see several folks have made upgrades to their system, i will do an inventory of what i have after the season & see what upgrades i can do that would make a difference, might need some help then on choosing what needs to be done..

Thanks again!

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2014, 06:39:55 PM »

Water logged???? Yeah that would be a huge problem. Most people go with this kit. http://www.altheatsupply.com/sd-kit-complete.html

jimr

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2014, 07:02:19 PM »

Seal that top plate real good with silicone or you'll have a mess.

RJ1968

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2014, 08:37:29 PM »

Thanks for the advice jimr & honda!

jimr

• OWF Brand: shaver
  • OWF Model: 165
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2014, 06:25:28 AM »

What type of damper is on your blower

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 08:25:38 AM »

I assume he has the stock fan with the little door that swings infront of the opening to control how much air it gives to the fire. The stock fan which is only 50cfm is really to small to be able to help drive the moisture out of green or wet wood, not that you should be burning that junk anyway losing 30% or more btus. The upgrade from altheating for 265 comes with the larger upgraded fan. X2 on sealing that plate on top. You will lose alot of heat right out through there. Also think about adding insulation around the unit, esp on top. They don't come insulated well.

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2014, 07:56:27 AM »

If your wood moisture content is 30% you'll lose 30% of available btu. 

If your wood is soaked like he's saying it's hard telling how much he's losing, perhaps 60-70%
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

Steinacher Sales

• OWF Brand: Shaver Outdoor Wood Furnace Dealer
  • OWF Model: Shaver Pro Series 165 (Phone: 618-401-0726)
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2014, 10:40:52 AM »

RJ,

Let us know of your progress and good luck!

Greg Steinacher

618-401-0726

RJ1968

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2014, 08:29:22 PM »

Thanks to everyone for your help..  I was able to get about 1/2 cord of good seasoned hedge & oak, i've been using a mixture of this wood & the old stuff left behind by the previous owner & i am glad to report that my house temp is now sitting & holding at 72 degrees(outside temp is -3).  Wife is happy & if momma's happy everyones happy... 

I will definitely seal that top plate & get the upgraded fan in the off season...

Again thanks to all for the help!

hondaracer2oo4

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2014, 12:37:24 PM »

Another satisfied customer with something as simple as proper fuel used. Glad your back on track.