Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: New Here  (Read 9876 times)

csmart94

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Hawken
  • OWF Model: HE-2100
    • View Profile
New Here
« on: January 03, 2013, 06:25:10 AM »

I built my own owb. Uses a couple old lp tanks. I think my firebox is too small because im not getting the burn time id like to see. Its a 125 gal lp tank that is about 24 diameter heating about 200 gallons of water. One thought I had was to slow my forced air furnace blower down to stop the sudden drop in water temp and useing alot of wood to recover in a short amount of time. let me know what what you think. thanks

Scott7m

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: E Series
    • View Profile
Re: New Here
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2013, 08:19:43 AM »

Make no difference really, it takes x number of btu's to keep your home at let's say 73 degrees.  Your home will still require that same number of btu's regardless of how fast the fan is running.   

Some installs are done where the fan never shuts off and a zone valve or "close t" are used to allow heat into the coil t certain times.

Seeing you built your own stove, which is fine, but makes me hope you didn't build your own underground line as well????   I've been around this stuff a lot and never have seen a homemade line that was worth burying
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
Pelican water treatment systems
606-316-9697

csmart94

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2013, 04:44:09 PM »

yes I did but together my own lines. Guess I didnt think that to be an issue if they temp drop is drastic when the fan kicks on.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2013, 04:53:08 PM »

yes I did but together my own lines. Guess I didnt think that to be an issue if they temp drop is drastic when the fan kicks on.

Is your pump running all the time?  If so that's fine but good insulated lines are a must, if it's kinda hanging on just by losing heat to the ground then when it calls for heat it kills it....
Dealer for:  Heatmaster, Empyre, Earth, Ridgewood, and Woodmaster outdoor furnaces
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2013, 05:14:08 PM »

If you want to stop the sudden drop in temp, I would put a bypass valve between the pipes on the heat exchanger and adjust it till it is how you want it. Should work better than playing with the fan speed.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2013, 05:24:11 PM »

If you want to stop the sudden drop in temp, I would put a bypass valve between the pipes on the heat exchanger and adjust it till it is how you want it. Should work better than playing with the fan speed.

That is true, but when times are cold it's either the boiler stays warm or the house does, right? 

Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

csmart94

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2013, 05:35:51 PM »

Yes i circulate water all the time. That is why i thought the fan speed would take care of some of the issue. I looked at my furnace and the fan is set to slowest speed. So I thought to try opposite of what i was thinking. Bumped it up to the speed at which normal heat would run.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2013, 05:37:17 PM »

is the sudden drop in temp you are talking about a sudden drop in temp of the boiler itself and unable to recover what the house is using? if so then a boiler with 200 gallons of water and a good fire going that can not keep up leans towards a lot of square feet and or a poorly insulated house and /or underground lines as well

if the sudden temp drop is only from one side of the exchanger to the other than i would suspect low gpm
???
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2013, 05:38:00 PM »

Blower should just run longer.
Will still probably burn the wood up as fast but will keep the water from getting as cold suddenly.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2013, 06:26:02 PM »

Sounds like there is more info needed really, I don't see how you can kill 200 gallons of water so quickly, I think as with every other self made line set that would be one place I would be highly concerned about.

Willieg has had some experience with that as well
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

csmart94

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2013, 06:38:36 PM »

Willie yes the return line off the exchanger is considerably cooler when the furnace is running. Its a 007 taco pump which i think is 20 gpm. Im about 80 foot total from boiler to exhanger.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2013, 06:42:04 PM »

Willie yes the return line off the exchanger is considerably cooler when the furnace is running. Its a 007 taco pump which i think is 20 gpm. Im about 80 foot total from boiler to exhanger.

Well there is one major problem, I'd never run an 007 hardly any distance at all, they'll only do 10-12 ft of head... 

Hopefully you don't have 3/4" lines to boot???
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

csmart94

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2013, 06:43:14 PM »

So far the furnace is funning at a shorter duration, this house is only 7 years old so insulation isnt the issue.

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2013, 06:43:30 PM »

Your probably down to 1-3 gallons per minute if you have many elbows.  007 won't do 20gpm I don't think if it had a 1 ft run with no restrictions
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697

Scott7m

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2013, 06:44:20 PM »

What size is your pex?
Furnace Parts Dealer
606-316-9697
Pages: [1] 2 3