Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: BL 2840 finally up and running  (Read 3040 times)

pops69

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
BL 2840 finally up and running
« on: January 05, 2015, 01:53:22 PM »

Afternoon all, the BL is finally burning! Have a few issues if anyone could give me some feed back would be great.
Auquastat set at 190 with 10 degree dif, temp guage reads about 150 coming in to the house, doesn't seem hot enough.
Boiler is 75 ft. from house going thru Logster 30" deep. All plumbing is copper. Taco 0010 pump.
I am using a 30 plate at the hot water heater, water is hot but not like I thought it would be.
Getting creasote build up, boiler was lit 1/31.
Getting water out the ash door and dripping from the bottom of the chimney stack.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.

agriffinjd

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 3444
    • View Profile
Re: BL 2840 finally up and running
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 02:15:54 PM »

Maybe the aquastat on the boiler is malfunctioning and heating the water to 190?  I seriously doubt you could lose 40 degrees of temperature in 75 feet, even if you buried bare pex in the ground at 30".  Does it hurt your hand to get a grip on the copper pipe in the house? I have mine set at 189 and when the thermometer on the copper pipe shows it at that temp (or even at 178 or so), I can not hold onto the copper for more than a half second or a second before it hurts and I have to let go.
----------------
U.P. of Michigan

pops69

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 04:35:26 PM »

No, I can't hold on to the pipe, but I think I read someplace at 112 you couldn't hold on to it.
Is there a way to check the aquastat ?             

sceptre74

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 05:16:50 PM »

You also may still have some air in the pipe. Try closing and opening the ball valve on one side of the pump a few times to try and work it out.

FareNorth

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2015, 09:48:55 PM »

Agree. I had some air I just could get out despite trying to force it to the bleeders. After a few days of running, suddenly temps climbed to what I expected. Shining a light thru the logstor pipe where exposed may bubbles or air trapped at an angled section of pipe.

I too initially had water dripping from chimney section at the back of the boiler. I was advised to remove the set screws and reseat it tighter, then refasten the screws. Not sure why this helped. Only thing I can think of, cold air getting in updraft  causing condensation.

Make sure nothing is sitting on top of chimney. When I first installed my boiler, I put the block off plate on top to keep rain out while I did the plumbing. Luckily I remembered to pop it off but with all the excitement of firing it up for the first time, stuff can happen.

pops69

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2015, 07:22:08 AM »

Thanks Farenorth, I'll try the chimney reset!!

Crow

• OWF Brand: Portage & Main
  • OWF Model: BL 28-40
  • Eastern Ontario
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 02:36:57 PM »

So how is it running now that it's been almost a week? Your original post has me thinking about excessive moisture in the wood. I get the odd drop from the ash door but definitely some moisture just inside the ash door. I don't get much at all from the chimney and it's just twisted on without the screw in it so I can clean it out easier.