Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: E-Classic 1450  (Read 6767 times)

boss302

• Training Wheels
  • OWF Brand: Researching at the present
    • View Profile
E-Classic 1450
« on: March 24, 2013, 04:43:57 PM »

I am still trying to decide what furnace to install and would like to hear all of the pros and cons from you guys that are currently running the E-Classic units. Are they really more conservative to run, is it more work that a classic?

Thanks,
Randall

boilerman

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: E2400 Currently CL5648 Previously
    • View Profile
Re: E-Classic 1450
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2013, 07:39:26 PM »

Hey Boss,
I have run both the Classic and Eclassic units. I can honestly say, this winter I will easily burn 40% less wood with my Eclassic 2400. To me, that is certainly worth the extra 30 minutes or so a month than I put in on my Classic cleaning. In my 3rd season with the Eclassic and because of the wood savings, I would not go back. Both are great furnaces and excellent choices. Dry wood certainly performs much better in the Eclassic and is required for best performance. From what I see, the E1450 has some great features my older unit does not have such as removable side air channels for cleaning, which should make end of season cleaining even easier.

Roger2561

• OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 08:58:03 AM »

I am still trying to decide what furnace to install and would like to hear all of the pros and cons from you guys that are currently running the E-Classic units. Are they really more conservative to run, is it more work that a classic?

Thanks,
Randall

boss302 - Have you decided which unit to buy?  From what I understand the E-Classic 1450 is rather simple to clean compared to the E-classic 1400 (my unit).  I've had the E-classic 1400 for the past 2 years and I'm quite pleased with it.  I'm heating 3000sqft of an 1840's farmhouse and my domestic hot water and I used just a tick over 6 1/2 cord/yr.  That's not too bad for an old house.  The up side of E-classic 1450 is the removable panels for cleaning.  The E-classic 1400 doesn't have that and the corners are royal pain to clean.  I'm seriously considering cutting a couple of 2 inch circles in each corner to make it easier for me to clean the corners.  Once the cleaning is done, I'll simply put them back until the next cleaning.  I'm very anal at keeping my e1400 clean so I clean all of the air holes once every other week.  That may be overkill but I know everything is clean and allows me time to inspect everything to be sure all is okay.  Good luck on whatever you decide to do.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Jack72

• OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 07:57:44 AM »

Hello Boss 302
Going into 3rd season I think may be my fourth have to look
I have the 1450 I'm very happy with mine no problems keeping my house and water warm.  (2500 sq ft)     The cons I can think of is

Cons

1. cost more money than classic comparable in size
  2. Little more cleaning and maintance  I can have mine cleaned good in 20 minutes (weekly)once  you get a system down its no big deal as far as cleaning

3.less burn time (comparing e-1450 to a classic 5036). I could be wrong depending on demand and weather temps of each situation (how tight your home is and your heat demand everyone's situation is different).  Mine is 16 to 18 hrs max usually unless its 50 degrees outside.               you get longer burn times out of classic total because more wood can be loaded into classic

4. May get some disagreement on this but i think from my results need wood under 15% if possible for cleaner burning (hotter fires and chamber temps)and easier cleaning for next time cleaning

5 Some wood splitting required for wood can't through in all full rounds and expect the fire not to go out need to maintain some coals to keep/staying lit ( this you will learn on your own others know what I'm talking about with e classics (cb anyway)

6. Getting someone else to add wood while gone/wife,neighbor,friend etc. could be dangerous from opening door to quick to add wood  and getting burnt or a new haircut from not being familiar with opening of bypass door on reaction chamber and waiting for a minute.                    A reaction chamber flash fire/flames from unburned gases escaping from door can scare the heck out of you anyway if nothing else.
I know it's happen to myself it wakes you up in a hurry!!

Pro's

1.  Less wood consumption

2.  Less smoke from stack not constantly smoking (complaining neighbors?) >:(

3. Smaller in size compared to classic (more eye appealing)

4. Phone compatible adjustments and viewing while away from home

5. Automatic lighting if needed (option offered )

6. May be allowed EPA regs      (Classic may not be allowed in your State or town/village)?

7. May stop making classics eventually (rumored /heard) EPA regs :bash:

8. Upgrades and added options in future from central boiler.

9.  If classics are stopped being made getting parts in future could be harder?

10. less ash to dispose of

11. Many temperature options you can set your water at and run times.

That's all I can think of right now will add if I think of more. These are all of my opinions others may disagree/agree   But this is what I believe and works for me

Hello Boilerman and Roger hope all is well

Jack

« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 08:05:03 PM by Jack72 »
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

johnybcold

• OWF Model: Classic E1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 08:49:26 AM »

I have the 1400 I heat a newer 3200sqft house with it works great the cleaning is not bad, my buddy installed the 1450 last year he heats 2000 sqft and uses way less wood then I do we both burn mostly pine,
old truck
old craftsman chain saw
Polaris Sportsman 500HO

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 03:32:00 AM »

boss302 - Jack72 summary is spot on.  It sounds like a lot of work but 20 minutes weekly/bi-weekly is a fraction of the time compare to whole.  I might add that to keep the water from cooling too much while I'm cleaning mine, I turn off the thermostats in the house (No heat load).  Keep the pump(s) running, though.  As soon as I'm done cleaning it, I get the water up to temp and the turn the thermostats back on.   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Ohiowood

• OWF Brand: Central boiler
  • OWF Model: E-classic1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2013, 12:07:56 PM »

Short and sweet!

I have a e-classic1400 the little maintenance is well worth the heat and endless hot water!
I have yet to be disappointed. 3rd year with it. 

MattyNH

• OWF Brand: Crown Royal former Aqua-Therm
  • OWF Model: 7300E ; S-275
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2013, 06:26:37 PM »

Kinda confused about your #3 con..Wouldn't the less burn time be the  same as your pro on #1?..From what i hear/told..Not sure how true it is ,cause every situation is so different..(my opinion) They all say the new epa phase stoves burns less than the non epa phase stoves..
Crown Royal 7300E (2021)
Aqua-Therm S-275 (2006)
Jonsered 2188
Jonsered 2165
Jonsered 2050
Timberwolf- TWP1 5.5 Honda 25in wood splitter
American CLS- AM48HH 8 Honda 48in wood splitter
Kubota L3800DT
Lake Winnipesaukee New Hampshire

Jack72

• OWF Model: E-1450 (11)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2013, 07:46:16 PM »

Kinda confused about your #3 con..Wouldn't the less burn time be the  same as your pro on #1?..From what i hear/told..Not sure how true it is ,cause every situation is so different..(my opinion) They all say the new epa phase stoves burns less than the non epa phase stoves..

Hey Matty

I did re read what I wrote and made some revisions it may make more sense now it was confusing

Yes that is true EPA stoves burn less wood but I guess what I was getting at was the firebox is much much bigger in size in classics than the e classics which allows a lot more wood to be put in.(If you could put the same amount of wood in each stove the e- classic would be much greater in burn times before needing reloading    E classic would win hands down.

The e -classics the way they burn if you jam it to full and tight you get a bridging effect and possible goes out.   Either way the e classics are more efficient no doubt but don't have the capacity to a classic.         Now I'm comparing my 1450 to a 5036

As you  know the e-2400 is much bigger and the burn times before a reload is required is going to be longer than the 1450.  Comparing apples to apples here

Hope I'm making sense now.       

Jack
« Last Edit: October 03, 2013, 08:12:20 PM by Jack72 »
Chevy 2500 HD 13 Duramax
Stihl 046 036 009
Northern Tool 25 ton Splitter

brimfield

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2015, 05:58:18 PM »

I have the 1400 I heat a newer 3200sqft house with it works great the cleaning is not bad, my buddy installed the 1450 last year he heats 2000 sqft and uses way less wood then I do we both burn mostly pine,

I am looking at the 1450 right now I live in the peoples republic of Massachusets so I have to get an EPA approved unit. That being said I see you burn pine. Does it give you any isues? Dealer was telling me to avoid lots of pine.

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 03:39:09 AM »

I am looking at the 1450 right now I live in the peoples republic of Massachusets so I have to get an EPA approved unit. That being said I see you burn pine. Does it give you any isues? Dealer was telling me to avoid lots of pine.

brimfield - Welcome to the forum.  I do not have the E-Classic 1450, I have the E-Classic 1400.  This is my 4th season heating with it.  I do not burn pine nor do I have any experience with it, I burn a mix of hardwoods that's been drying for 2 full years.  Pine will burn but it burns quicker so you may have to put in a bit more pine in the firebox to get through a 12 hour period as opposed to hardwood.  Plus, you may have to clean the primary combustion air holes a bit more frequently than that of hardwood.  I clean the primary air holes once every 2 weeks using hardwood.  That is a bit overkill because they are relatively clear when I service them but it's a comfort thing with me; I don't want to be outdoors in the middle night in sub zero temps clearing air holes.  I hope this helps.  Roger     
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

5050racing

• OWF Brand: CB-1450
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 06:25:22 AM »

I had one little hicup but after that awesome no smoke,little wood useage works great cleaning no big deal!

brimfield

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2015, 07:03:56 AM »

Yea I would expect more cleaning and shorter burn times from pine. I would mix it with hardwood I think. My interest in pine is that  I see it for free all the time on craigslist.
brimfield - Welcome to the forum.  I do not have the E-Classic 1450, I have the E-Classic 1400.  This is my 4th season heating with it.  I do not burn pine nor do I have any experience with it, I burn a mix of hardwoods that's been drying for 2 full years.  Pine will burn but it burns quicker so you may have to put in a bit more pine in the firebox to get through a 12 hour period as opposed to hardwood.  Plus, you may have to clean the primary combustion air holes a bit more frequently than that of hardwood.  I clean the primary air holes once every 2 weeks using hardwood.  That is a bit overkill because they are relatively clear when I service them but it's a comfort thing with me; I don't want to be outdoors in the middle night in sub zero temps clearing air holes.  I hope this helps.  Roger