Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Colder than I thought it was  (Read 3102 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Colder than I thought it was
« on: November 03, 2014, 11:22:28 AM »

So, yesterday morning ~5:00am, I put enough wood in my CB E-Classic 1400 for the day, so I thought.  It was a rather chilly day with a stiff wind gusting into the 30's and I don't think the temps got out of the 30's all day.  To make along story short, around 4:30pm (after the NASCAR concluded and brawl subsided) I went in my bedroom to change into my outdoor working clothing when I hear the oil furnace come on.  Dang, I said (that's the PG version) I bet the wood bridged, it's happened before.  When I got outside the water temp was 160 and the digital display on the firestar said FO (I said FU) FO means the fire is out.  I opened the firebox door and everything I had placed in there for the day had burned to ashes, not one single red coal left.  So, I grab some kindling wood, a bit of old newspaper and using my propane torch I got a fire started again.  I think it took about 30 minutes for the water to go from 160 to 190.  I guess I need to learn how to operate my OWB again.  Live and learn...  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

atvalaska

• OWF Brand: aqua-therm
  • OWF Model: coal one 275
  • 907, no vacancy !
    • View Profile
Re: Colder than I thought it was
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 02:09:25 PM »

after the NASCAR concluded and brawl subsided......I seen that ..... :thumbup:

CountryBoyJohn

• OWF Brand: Heatmaster
  • OWF Model: MF 10,000 E
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 02:36:35 PM »

I did the same thing Rodger! I loaded for 24 hours cause I was going out of town for a day! My buddy checked on it for me at 12 hours and it want going to make it! I call it out of calibration!
2013 F250 6.2L Lariat
Stihl MS290
DHT 27 Ton Log Splitter
Woodchuck Log Jack
56, 57, 58 Ferguson TO-35
Knox County, IN

coolidge

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 03:50:05 PM »

I had mine on a regular schedule until these 20 degree temps hit. The relearning curve begins.
Western Maine

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 04:57:26 PM »

What are you doing up at 5 am on a Sunday ? Lol
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl

yotehunter66

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 06:06:56 PM »

I net there are a few more. I got caught with my britches down too. Got spoiled with the moderate temps and mine went out too.
Husky 372xp 24"
Makita DCS520i 20"
Poulan 2300 18"
Macullough Eager Beaver 2.3 18"
Troybilt 27 ton log splitter

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 07:41:17 PM »

fireboss, I wasn't up at 5:00am, I was up at 3:30am.  For some reason I cannot sleep beyond 3:30 in the morning regardless the time I hit the sack in the evening.  That happens 7 days a week.  Roger   
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 09:32:09 PM »

fireboss, I wasn't up at 5:00am, I was up at 3:30am.  For some reason I cannot sleep beyond 3:30 in the morning regardless the time I hit the sack in the evening.  That happens 7 days a week.  Roger

Dude, that blows.

Usually I can never sleep more than five hours, goto bed at 3:30 AM on a saturday night and will be up promptly at 8:30 Sunday morning. Really sucks when we go on vacation, time change/jet lag kicks the wife's *ss everytime for at least a week or ten days while I need one day to get used to a 6 hour change.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 03:44:10 AM »

Dude, that blows.

The way I look at it; I can get an early start on the day.  I can get a couple loads of laundry done and clean the OWB all before 7:00am.  I have the rest of the day to do whatever needs to be done.  However, I draw the line at working on a Sunday.  I take that day to recharge my batteries so to speak but I'm still awake at 3:30am.   :)  During the weekday I take the time to use the elliptical or go for a run before going to work, generally I'll run anywhere between 2 to 5 miles depending what my body tells me.  That's not too bad for someone who's 53 years old.  Roger   

Usually I can never sleep more than five hours, goto bed at 3:30 AM on a saturday night and will be up promptly at 8:30 Sunday morning. Really sucks when we go on vacation, time change/jet lag kicks the wife's *ss everytime for at least a week or ten days while I need one day to get used to a 6 hour change.
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Vincent Paul

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
  • Whatever you are - be a good one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 05:23:08 AM »

Thank you for making me laugh at loud this morning Roger.  After receiving some crappy news this morning, that really helped.  We are getting ready to fire our Ridgewood up in the next week or so,  until then, keep hauling firewood in for the fireplaces................
Stihl 025
Stihl 261
Stihl 361
New Holland TN 75A
Ford F-250 -- V-10
Red Angus cattle & a bunch of chickens

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2014, 10:14:51 AM »

Vincent Paul - Is this your first season with the OWB?  You'll enjoy the constant heat from it without having to payout big money to stay warm.  Plus, I believe you'll get used to not hearing your oil/gas burner running sooner rather than later.   Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Vincent Paul

• OWF Brand: Ridgewood
  • OWF Model: 7500
  • Whatever you are - be a good one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 01:55:48 PM »

Hey Roger, yes, first season.  Every friend I value has one.  I'm the last in our farming community here in southern Indiana to get one.  We have 2 beautiful fireplaces that have been faithful on heating our home as long you are in the room with the fireplace!!!!  I was on a tight budget having just lost my job of 32 years ( plant closure ) but we are very much looking forward to the even heat throughout the house with our Ridgewood 7500.  I very much appreciate all of the folks on this site as they all have been very helpful and patient.  I am surrounded by Hardy & Central Boiler furnaces and they both seem to be fine machines.  Thanks again for making me laugh this morning, I needed it......vpm
Stihl 025
Stihl 261
Stihl 361
New Holland TN 75A
Ford F-250 -- V-10
Red Angus cattle & a bunch of chickens

mlappin

• Fabricator Extraordinaire
  • Global Moderator
  • OWF Brand: homebuilt, now HeatmasterSS
  • OWF Model: Martin Steel Works Gen 1 then, now a G200.
  • North Liberty, Indiana
    • View Profile
    • Altheatsolutions
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2014, 07:40:48 PM »

Dude, that blows.

The way I look at it; I can get an early start on the day.  I can get a couple loads of laundry done and clean the OWB all before 7:00am.  I have the rest of the day to do whatever needs to be done.  However, I draw the line at working on a Sunday.  I take that day to recharge my batteries so to speak but I'm still awake at 3:30am.   :)  During the weekday I take the time to use the elliptical or go for a run before going to work, generally I'll run anywhere between 2 to 5 miles depending what my body tells me.  That's not too bad for someone who's 53 years old.  Roger   

I work 7 days a week, may only be a couple hours a day or may be 16 hours a day, have worked 36 hours straight trying to get the last of the corn picked before a major snow comes in. It's goes against my genes to sit and do nothing, my great grandfather was still farming well into his 90's. Even on vacation in the UK with the wife's family I find stuff to do, have fixed leaky faucets, replaced a privacy fence and have done some wiring while there, just have to remember it's all 220 volts and the ground is called earth. Even with the jacked back I'm still outside supervising the help.
Stihl 023
Stihl 362
Stihl 460
Sachs Dolmar 112 and 120
Homemade skid steer mounted splitter, 30" throat, 5" cylinder
Wood-Eze model 8100 firewood processor

HeatmasterSS dealer for Northern Indiana

jrider

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2014, 10:01:32 AM »

I've had the same result but for a different reason.  Every now and then the wife loves to turn the heat up to76 or so when I've only planned on heating at 72-73.  It's never been so bad though that the 250 couldn't get one random coal that was left going again.