Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Giving it another try  (Read 3380 times)

Roger2561

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: Classic Edge 550 HD
    • View Profile
Giving it another try
« on: November 06, 2011, 03:14:15 PM »

Hi all,

Well, I made some changes to the water temperature differential to see if it'll make a difference for me.  As some know, in the past the fire would go out during the warm weather days causing me to wonder what I was doing wrong.  A couple of folks recommended that I change the temp differential so I did.  I should know if it made a difference.  It was set at 10 degrees so I lowered it to 5 degrees.  I hope it works.   Tomorrow the outdoor temps are to be in the upper 40's to lower 50's so that should be good test for it.  I'll report my finding when I get a few minutes tomorrow night.

Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD Tractor 4500 4X4 with front-end loader
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
Cud Cadet 27 Ton Wood splitter
2012 Honda Goldwing GL1800
New Hampshire

Bill G

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Opt. 250
    • View Profile
Re: Giving it another try
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 04:49:07 PM »

Hey Roger,

Glad to hear you are giving it a try!   I think you will get the right result.  Should keep fire in the box better and I would think as winter gets on, you can adjust accordingly. 

Please post results.

Bill
Bill
Stihl saws
Homegrown splitter
'10 3500 Dodge Cummins
(Beagles and snowshoe hares!!)
NE PA

martyinmi

• OWF Brand: Portage and Main
  • OWF Model: Optimizer 250
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 06:03:52 PM »

Hey Roger-
   I'm thinking that re-setting your temperature setting will solve your problem for you. There's getting to be quite a few Portage and Main gassers around here, and the mamufacturer told us some time back that that's what we needed to do for proper warm weather function. I wanted to chime in a while back when you first posted your issue, but figured it best to let a fellow CB user guide you through. Dean will be a valuable tool for you to use with any issues you might have. I think I've read every post he's ever authored, and when it comes to furnace function, he's always right on. He's a very well spoken guy.

Marty
Newholland TZ-25da
30+ Chain Saws
'05 Dodge Diesel
Michigander
TSC 35 Ton Splitter

Dean186

• Training Wheels
  • E-Classic 1400 owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 07:21:55 PM »

Hi Roger,

Sorry to hear you're still having problems.  I have my temperature swing set to 13 degrees difference (180 - 193).  I don't think the gassification units operate as efficiently cycling so often.  I base that on watching mine.  It has to run for a little while before I get reaction chamber temperatures up around 1,000 degrees.  If it short cycled, I am not sure it would get there.  My two cents.

If you still have no luck and want to talk, shoot me a PM and I will send you my phone number.

Dean
Dean

Dean186

• Training Wheels
  • E-Classic 1400 owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 09:44:45 PM »

Marty,  Thanks so much for the kind words. 
Dean

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 05:39:05 AM »

Hi Roger,

Sorry to hear you're still having problems.  I have my temperature swing set to 13 degrees difference (180 - 193).  I don't think the gassification units operate as efficiently cycling so often.  I base that on watching mine.  It has to run for a little while before I get reaction chamber temperatures up around 1,000 degrees.  If it short cycled, I am not sure it would get there.  My two cents.

If you still have no luck and want to talk, shoot me a PM and I will send you my phone number.

Dean

Dean186;

Overnight, this E classic 1400 ran beautifully.  It kept the temps where I wanted them and had a nice fire going at 5:00AM this morning.  Looking at the weather forecast for the next 2 or 3 days, the temps are supposed to be in the lower 60's with sunshine.  I'm wondering if I should pulse it instead of the short temp differential.  Before I make any changes I'll see what it looks like when I get home from work this evening.  I'll report back this evening.

Thank you very much for your help with this project.

Roger 
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

Roger2561

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 06:22:12 PM »

Well, when I arrived home from work this evening the fire was going strong, the water temp was at it's set point.  After raking the ash from the bottom of what was left for embers, I added more wood for the night.  It's 68 degrees in the house and comfortable.  I'm still wondering if I should use the pulse in place of the temp differential.  I'll see what the week brings and decide from there.

Roger
CB Classic Edge 550 HD
JD LX277AWS
Stihl 021
Stihl MS 311
New Hampshire

fireboss

• OWF Brand: central boiler
  • OWF Model: 6048
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 06:43:32 PM »

Hi guys, I have a cb 6048 I know how to raise and lower the temps, but how do I change the differential settings ? 
Sussex county new jersey                                                                   cb 6048 instald may 2010, heating 3000 sq and 15,000 gal pool,sure track dump trailer,35ton splitter,029,ms200,homlite xl