Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:

Author Topic: Just Crushed My Saw  (Read 3320 times)

chadley

• OWF Brand: none-looking
    • View Profile
Just Crushed My Saw
« on: January 21, 2012, 04:04:22 PM »

I use a 359 husky and just spent 211 dollars on new bars and chains YESTERDAY!  I was dropping a 20 ft trunk 3 ft in diameter and the saw got pinched right when the trunk was falling.  It took my saw with it and crushed it.  I was almost in tears.  I sell firewood as a side job and spend hours and hours by myself cutting and splitting wood.  That saw just took half of what I made in profit this winter.  I'm sick. :-X

RSI

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G200 and B250
    • View Profile
    • RSI
Re: Just Crushed My Saw
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2012, 05:20:36 PM »

$211 for bar and chain? Was it gold plated?  :o Were they ruined too?

Good excuse to upgrade to an XP model. I had a 55 rancher and haven't used it since I got the 346xp. It just sits there and then I bought a 2nd 346XP so I wouldn't ever have to use the 55 again.  8)
Are you interested in a 55? Lol

chadley

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2012, 05:31:16 PM »

I bought a 24 in bar and 2 chains for it and another 20 in bar to replace my old one.  came to 211.  Tell me about the 346 xp's.  What will it do that the 359's won't?  I have no problem pullin 24 in chain/bar with a 359

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2012, 05:42:39 PM »

I never used a 359. It is probably a lot better than the 55 rancher.
The XP models have much better power to weight ratio and (at least some) run at higher RPMs.
You would probably need a 357xp to be comparable in size to the 359.

chadley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 05:18:29 PM »

yea its better than the 55 rancher. the 359 is 70cc. I can't pass up getting the same saw I don't think.  It does everything I want it to plust I would have spare parts from mine if I needed them.

chadley

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2012, 07:56:29 PM »

RSI,

Well I took my saw in today and got the news I expected-not worth fixing.  They dont make the 359's anymore although some dealers still have a few left in stock.  They are replacing it with the 562 xp.  It has 2500 more rpm than the 359 and the carburetor is self regulating.  They showed me one while I was there.  They want 680 plus tax.  They told me they would give me 60 bucks for my saw (what they figured they could get in parts from it).  I told them I couldn't afford it.  As I drove away, I got to thinking... I just bought two new bars and 2 new chains on Friday.  So tomorrow I'm going to tell them to know the 60 off for my saw and take 100 off for the bar and chain and have them just give me the saw for 520 then put my brand new bar and chain on bought friday on it.  What do you think? Think they'll do that?

RSI

• View Profile
    • RSI
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 10:25:09 PM »

I have been reading up on the 359 and it is a much better saw than I thought it was.

Did you ask them if your bars would fit? I think a 359 has a small bar mount and the 562 a large.

My thought on chainsaws is get something decent. You will have it for years and years. It isn't worth saving a few dollars. It is one thing if you hardly ever use it or can get a new one every year or two but if you keep it 10+ years it is different.

Have you looked around for used saws? I got both of my 346XP's used. The first was probably at least 3 or 4 years ago and I paid $250 for it and and it is the only thing I ever have to do it put gas oil and sharp chains on it. The other one I just got a few months ago and paid $300 but it is really new.

chadley

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 08:18:03 PM »

RSI

I've been posting under equipment but I don'tknow if you have read my recent thread.  I took my saw in and they said it wasnt worth fixing which I figured.  they gave me 60 bucks for what they thoguth they could get out of parts from the saw.  I also asked if my bars from 359 wouild fit and they said yes.  So, I asked them to take the bars off the new saw and adjust the price of the 562 xp and they said they would.  When I got there, the bars wouldn't match.  They gave me the bar that came with it plus a new 24 in bar.  I gave them the two bars back that I bought on Fri (the day before I crushed my saw) and I came away with a 750 dollar saw at 571 after tax.  I have run several tanks of gas through the new saw this weekend and love it.  My old 359 was great bit thos  thinknew saw has more power and cuts fast.  I think I came out all right given I had to buy a new saw