Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Username: Password:
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: should i stay away from used?  (Read 13479 times)

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
should i stay away from used?
« on: March 16, 2009, 06:49:07 AM »

I am going to buy a woodmaster 4400 within a month or two and came across a used one in a local classified. It is two years old and seems to be in good condition except the water level indicator light doesnt work.  He said he would take $4,000 for it. I dont know how well the guy took care of it or anything. I am trying to decide if i should just spend the extra $1,700 and get a brand new one or get the used one that could or could not have something wrong with it. Any suggestions?
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

Dirtslinger

• OWF Brand: Woodmaster
  • OWF Model: 4400
    • View Profile
Re: should i stay away from used?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »

Spend the extra now so it don't you in the a$$ later down the road
Dirtslinger
Brockway, PA

dumbodog00

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 12:23:16 PM »

I realize that $1700 is a fair chunk of change.  However, I would agree and go with the new one.  The last guy could have done everything wrong to it and it might not show.  It could save you a huge headache and expense in the future.

PhinPhan

• OWF Brand: WoodMaster
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnace Info
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 01:08:10 PM »

I agree for me it would just be more piece of mind buying new.  Plus you will get the full life of the warranty buying new.
Pomeroy, OH
WoodMaster 4400

AirForcePOL

• OWF Brand: HeatMaster
  • OWF Model: G400
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 01:27:08 PM »

Yeah thats what I was thinking. I was also wondering why someone would get rid of it only two years after they bought it. Thanks again!
Athens, Illinois
Dealer for HeatMaster SS
Stihl MS 290
Troy Bilt 27 ton splitter

Jason

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 07:26:44 PM »

AirForce:  That last post of yours asks the million dollar question-why is the owner getting rid of the furnace?  It almost certainly has some issue.  Maybe it's something trivial the individual simply does not know how to fix, or maybe they let the water freeze and crack the jacket.  Or maybe it's someone who did not realize the appetite these things have and does not have the time/ resources/ physical ability to come up with multiple cords' worth of cut and split fire wood every year.  In short:  I'd buy new.
Jason-Pittsburgh, PA

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 07:36:23 PM »

i agree with the "go new" suggestion

about the only reason someone would sell a good working stove used would be the "i'm tired of all this wood cutting"
anything other reason is problems with the stove..almost a sure bet
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

Scratch

• OWF Brand: Central Boiler
  • OWF Model: CB6048
    • View Profile
    • Edge Metalworks
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 10:53:27 AM »

I also agree.  Go new.  There's gotta be a reason he's selling it...
Hudson, WI

zipper

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 05:52:00 PM »

Bad advice guys. How do I know this ? Because I am the guy selling it. If he had read the ad and ask me any Question I would have been glad to answer. Also he only lives 2 hrs away, not along drive to look at something. This boiler is just as good as new. It has a bad sensor on the water level indicator , thats all and I plan to replace this so the next guy that calls I can tell him it's perfect. The reason I am selling it is number one it burns to much wood for me, I'm 62 yrs old and don't want to cut that much wood.  Also I can buy coal for $48 bucks a ton in Indiana , a 1 1/2 hr drive for me. This unit looks new on the outside and I cleaned up the inside where it's almost as clean as it came. Please don't give advice on something you know nothing about. I don't care if he buys it or not, it's his loss. If I have to hang on to it until fall the price is going up.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 06:17:38 PM »

Bad advice guys. How do I know this ? Because I am the guy selling it. If he had read the ad and ask me any Question I would have been glad to answer. Also he only lives 2 hrs away, not along drive to look at something. This boiler is just as good as new. It has a bad sensor on the water level indicator , thats all and I plan to replace this so the next guy that calls I can tell him it's perfect. The reason I am selling it is number one it burns to much wood for me, I'm 62 yrs old and don't want to cut that much wood.  Also I can buy coal for $48 bucks a ton in Indiana , a 1 1/2 hr drive for me. This unit looks new on the outside and I cleaned up the inside where it's almost as clean as it came. Please don't give advice on something you know nothing about. I don't care if he buys it or not, it's his loss. If I have to hang on to it until fall the price is going up.

the answer given to the original question stands..as most here know that a used stove is generally a bad idea. if you read my response you will see i did allow for a "i'm tired of cutting all that wood" sales pitch

perhaps if you had included in your add all the info you  put forth in your response to this thread and the poster had included that in his question..he may have got a more positive response from some of us (unless you did and the poster forgot to include it)

i wish you all the best in selling your stove
how old is it
what brand
forced draft or natural
how much wood is too much for a year of heat(how much did you burn)
did you heat your domestic water as well
are you including any heat exchangers or rads in your sale

perhaps if you volenteer this info to the poster (in a private message) he would be a bit more interested

but i still wouldn't buy a used one....as postd before ...i wouldnt buy a new one ..they are overpriced in my opinion
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

zipper

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 08:17:06 PM »

Willie you didn't read the add either , if you had you would know it's a Woodmaster 4400 and comes with the grate and auger system, extra chimney, rain cap and 2 heat exchangers for $4500. He said he had forced air so I said I would keep the big HX and take $4000. In the above post I said I don't want to cut that much wood, I also don't like going out in the cold to load. A I have found access to coal I really want to quit altogether. Telling someone not to buy a used boiler you have not seen is no different than telling someone not to buy a used car you have not seen, the bottom line is you have not seen it so you don't know. This is a good boiler and I am asking a fair price. What I said above stands, if you don't know and you haven't seen it then you are not qualified to give advice.

willieG

• owbinfo.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2009, 08:51:47 PM »

Willie you didn't read the add either , if you had you would know it's a Woodmaster 4400 and comes with the grate and auger system, extra chimney, rain cap and 2 heat exchangers for $4500. He said he had forced air so I said I would keep the big HX and take $4000. In the above post I said I don't want to cut that much wood, I also don't like going out in the cold to load. A I have found access to coal I really want to quit altogether. Telling someone not to buy a used boiler you have not seen is no different than telling someone not to buy a used car you have not seen, the bottom line is you have not seen it so you don't know. This is a good boiler and I am asking a fair price. What I said above stands, if you don't know and you haven't seen it then you are not qualified to give advice.
you are right..ii didn't see the add...and as for advice..everyone gave thier opinon on the most likley reasons for selling a stove..1 was the owner not wanting to cut wood..the other was a problem (or problems) with the stove and the advice of myself was from seeing other people's luck with used stoves

both the reason you say you want to sell your stove and the other reasons were offered in the advice given
and although i have not seen your ad or your stove, i (i can only speak for myself not the others) gave my opinion on past experiences with friends that have bought used stoves

you say you dont want to cut that much wood...that leads me to believe (mayby falsely)  that you did not know how much would you would have to cut..did you fall for some cheap sales pitch? did you not research your stove before buying

and as for you telling myself or the others that posted opinions here about buying used stoves that we have no idea what we are talking about..well i think there is a lot of years of experience with OWB here and the poster wished to ask our opinions..and that is what he got...it is for him to decide if the information was worthy or not. it is not for you to tell us we have no business giving an opinion (allthough you don't have to agree with it)

and as you said your stove is like buying a used car... i doubt that...i can not ask for papers showing regular maintence..i can't take it for a test drive...a used car i could see and hear it run and form an opinion on the heart of the thing..if it burnt oil or knocked..with your stove i can only take your word that the interior of the water jacket is good and that you ran the proper chemicals in it to inhibit rust

i was quite polite in my last posting of why someone would sell their stove ,as i said it could have very well been the lack of desire to cut more wood and then i stated there may be problems

now i will tell you, my monetary views on used stoves...

the best you should be offered is half of new even if it is in perfect shape
if i was the guy looking at it i would take the chance on you NOT selling it and offer you half
and when you refused i would leave

maybe in a month i would call again with the same offer..if the stove was gone, so be it
if it was not gone i would say  that the next time i call the offer will be five hundred less and if it rots in your back yard i dont care

and your statemen that if you dont sell it and keep it till fall and the price will go up?

i will tell you quite truthfully...if you dont sell it by fall...hook it back up and burn your coal in it...it will be yours forever

go see some dealers..they have a stack of them..repo's and leases that they cant get a good price for either

these stoves are like  toasters...not much call for for a used one

and one final not to anyone buying a used stove...if you can't weld...leave it alone!

no further rebutals will be answered..this thread for me is closed
home made OWB (2012)
Ontario Canada

zipper

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 05:18:03 AM »

Well Willie I wasn't I wasn't trying to pick a fight with you. You are just wrong about buying something used and you are wrong about me. My point was to not pass judgment on on something you have not personally seen and contrary to popular opinion not every one is dishonest. As for the knowledge end the guy that called me didn't know that he needed a water to air HX instead of a water to water until I told him. I have burned wood for 35yrs so yes I know about cutting wood.  This was just my first out side unit and after a season and a half I decided it was not for me. As far as buying used boilers  boiler go over to the coal burners forum, those guys buy used all the time with very few problems. As for the price that $1700 difference he quoted isn't even close considering the extra's that come with mine. I don't even have it listed locally yet but when heating season for next year comes around and people figure out they have to wait to get one I won't have any trouble selling. Maybe I just rub people the wrong way but I had a guy all the way from Michigan call me long distance to tell me he didn't like the model I am selling and wants a different brand, so if you can figure people out then your one up on me.

PhinPhan

• OWF Brand: WoodMaster
    • View Profile
    • Outdoor Wood Furnace Info
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 07:15:54 AM »

You had mentioned about coal.  Did you burn coal in the woodmaster?  If so the warranty is probably already voided.  When I bought mine I asked a Woodmaster employee directly about burning coal and he said that would void the warranty becasue they are not meant to burn coal.
Pomeroy, OH
WoodMaster 4400

zipper

• Training Wheels
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 08:06:54 AM »

PhinPhan  Nope wouldn't be any point in it , most all the air goes over the fire on an outdoor wood boiler and you just have to put the air under a coal fire. I purchased a wood coal combo inside boiler with shaker grate's and under fire air supply. I then bought a ton and a half of coal to get on through the winter. I do still want the option to burn wood if coal becomes unavailable. But at this point in time I can tell you that it's so much better and so much easier that it's an easy decision to make. As cheap as I can buy coal, I can't hardly cut wood any cheaper. One more thing that bothers me about OWB's is that they are being legislated right out of existence.  These things are on the road going out not the one coming in. Seems like every other day you see another article, news clip etc. about them being banned or made to be some ridicules distance from the property line or some unrealistic chimney height. Even though I don't agree with legislating something out of existence, it's going to happen, just a matter of time. I suppose the same thing can happen to coal but inside boilers are not attacked on the same scale as OWB's   
Pages: [1] 2